Why Not Celebrate Christmas?

by Mum 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

LHG.

Whether or not the reasons I showed are valid an true and work out is not the issue here under this topic and neither are they my reasons because they ain’t my rules. I was responding to your claim that FDS counsels against higher education for the reason that less educated JW are easier to manage and that ain’t the case for the reasons I stated.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

So much of the JW approach was shaped by Rutherford, IMO, who wanted to leave his mark on the organization. I think he spent a few years trying to further Russell's work. Then he seemed to realize that he was now in the driver's seat and could shape it as he pleased. As a result, it's difficult to figure out exactly why they decided that birthdays and holidays were taboo (but not wedding anniversaries or baby showers).

It makes God appear to be a person of very ill humor, a tyrant who gets upset when his children find a way to have some fun. "Celebrate the birthday of your savior with decorations and gift-exchanges? How dare you!!" He becomes a grumpy old man the minute you decide you want to enjoy a holiday.

• jhine
    jhine

Good point Tonus .

Jan

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

THEY , have god given authority ,

The GB (especially 2.0) is and has influenced many a dub to unequivocally believe in this lying hype. Concerning Christmas and other holidays, they want to have the monopoly on what each indoctrinated member spends their $$$$$$$ on. Since they are in the "Charlatan Business" and WT itself is considered an MLM (with no real benefits--materially/financially--for the members who are toting the products), they want all of the PROFITS put into their NEED-FOR-GREED pockets/bank accounts. So, any dub who wants to have any NORMAL enjoyment has to deal with the fact that celebrating ANYTHING is not for them--until they WAKE THE HELL UP AND LEAVE! 🤨👆☝🏽

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Here's a verse I didn't even know existed while growing up as a JW, and one which completely spits in the face of the JW rules about not celebrating anything. Ironically, it comes from one of the most Pharasitical of all bible writers, the Apostle Paul.

Colossians 2:16, NIV:

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."

Well now, that seems pretty damn clear to me. Yet JW leadership does exactly that; forbids any type of celebrations, religious festivals, New Moon celebrations, and then demonizes anyone else who dares to do so.

Many correct reasons have already been listed in this thread, so I'll only add this one:

All CULTS do this. Micro-manage, as well as divide and conquer using rules like this. JW's are absolutely a highly-controlling cult, and since learning of cult control techniques I am not surprised by this at all now. Once you accept that this is a cult, their bullshit rules against everything become evident as the petty bullshit that they are, and no longer apply to you. Shed that shit and move on. Fuck this cult.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

The real reason why Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate Christmas is because Rutherford wanted to distance the 'Truth' from the importance of Jesus. Along with banning the use of the Cross and Easter, Rutherford needed this theological movement, to reinforce the 'Jehovah' brand name, which I believe was purposefully done, not because of some ecclesiastical insight, but purely as way to stand out from the crowd of other Adventist faiths.

While Watchtower apologists may say that there are valid reasons for dropping these things because of the influence of paganism (some of which I admit to be true), none the less, no honest person could argue with the fact that Jesus now plays a very, very minor roll in the minds of JWs today. Which is rather sad, seeing we are supposed to Christians ... not some kind of hybrid Judean sect.

• riblah
    riblah

Fisherman: The FDS
  • menrov
    menrov

No Christmas, no Easter, no birthdays..... everything to be opposite of Catholics.

BTW: regarding birthdays. so-called, negative examples in the bible. But if God fearing people were not supposed to be at a birthday party, then who wrote the story and could observe and hear what happened????

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Why not celebrate Christmas? What does Santa, reindeer, greenery, mistletoe, trimming trees, elves, being naughty or nice, leaving cookies, etc have to do with Christ's birth?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Enough... absolutely nothing. Those things are about celebrating life and new beginnings. Most Christians feel combing the two is just fine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit