Why Not Celebrate Christmas?

by Mum 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

So, JW's don't celebrate Christmas or other holidays. Why? As Bill Cetnar once said, there are two reasons for everything: the reason they tell you, and the REAL REASON. They will tell you it's because Christmas is "pagan" and can lead to all sorts of licentious conduct (like drinking too much MacAllan Scotch?).

Now for the real reason: JW's are not allowed to celebrate because it's an easy way to get their families angry at their self-righteousness and superior attitude, which feeds the JW's persecution complex. It alienates the JW from family members and former friends, giving the borg more control over them. It feeds the JW sense of moral superiority and inhibits fun and merriment. It saves them money, which they can then donate to their narcissistic masters in New York.

What a clever ploy!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MUM:

I’ve said this elsewhere. My opinion of JWs not approving of the holidays is not ‘just’ because they say the holidays are ‘pagan’.. I think that’s a convenient surface excuse.

Everything has pagan origins including the calendar among other things. My experience in the JW religion led me to believe they don’t want you celebrating the holidays because they do not want you associating with your non-Witness relatives and friends. I believe they are afraid of you experiencing unconditional love and friendship from people who are not judging you.. So, I believe this is about isolating and separating the JW. This is likely the REAL reason.. I especially believe this to be true in my case back when I was in.

They are afraid you might not want to remain in the JW religion once you catch on!

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

My opinion of JWs not approving of the holidays is not just because they say the holidays are ‘pagan’.

I see what you are saying.

The JW like to build a fence around the hole to protect JW from falling in and being swallowed up by the world, that is the reason. There is an argument that celebrating a birthday or christmas may not actually be proscribed in the Bible but there is no scriptural basis for doing it and when it has pagan roots or religious non JW links like christmas, the FDS having God given authority over the JW, have made it forbidden to JW.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FISHERMAN:

I agreed with your explanation up until you said: “the FDS having God given authority over the JW..” But, I’m not getting into it.

But thanks for seeing that they have more than one reason why they don’t want JWs to celebrate holidays.. Of course, they won’t say this second reason out loud!

Not to derail the thread: but it’s kind of similar to their discouraging followers from going to college. Their real reason is that they dislike educated people because they are ‘harder to counsel’. I had an elder admit this.

But, getting back to the holidays, there’s the reason they state publicly - and then there’s the REAL reason that is less agreeable to hear.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

the FDS having God given authority over the JW..” But, I’m not getting into it.

Whether they actually have God given authority is not the issue. Based on the premise they do, is how they can make such rules is the point.
  • smiddy3
    smiddy3

They KID themselves , THEY , have god given authority ,

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Their real reason is that they dislike educated people because they are ‘harder to counsel’

I thought about that in my distant pass but actually people with higher education make more money they can contribute, are more useful because of the training and have better logical skills so that isn’t the reason. The real reasons are 1 bad associations at a vulnerable age, distraction from spiritual goals because you are not seeking first the kingdom and sadly the wisdom of the world such as evolution and philosophy and critical thinking of the Bible is very persuasive and blinding and can convince someone that the Bible is not from God or challenge many JW teachings and once a person is in that frame of mind, he is out. Also pursuing a career and putting the kingdom work on hold instead of trusting in God. Baptized JW dedicated his life to God and doesn’t own it to pursue oersonal goals and careers. His career is his ministry-should be.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    They KID themselves , THEY , have god given authority ,

Hi smiddy,

I wasn’t saying that they do under this topic. I was only making the point that based on that premise they can make rules for JW. In fact, at baptism a JW subscribes to that authority.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Fisherman ,I wasn`t taking a shot at you ,I was just making a point that that`s how THEY view themselves , speaking for GOD on his behalf .

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FISHERMAN:

Sorry for derailing MUM’s thread but I have to disagree with you.

First of all, I got baptized before they changed those questions. I NEVER agreed to serve any organization or FDS and do not accept theirs or any other religionists’ assertion of ‘authority’. As far as I was concerned, I served the creator of the universe by whatever name He is called.. But the whole thing was misrepresented to me. A bait and switch. I’m done with it and religion in general.

I also disagree with what your reasoning is about why they dislike education. The bad association thing is nonsense especially if you’re older; I agree with evolution and philosophy and critical thinking. God gave us a brain to use! I still believe the reason the elder told me!

I also disagree with yours and their view of ‘pursuing a career’. When I came into the JWs..ALL the older people were collecting their pensions. They worked. I had to work as well to support myself. These hypocrites made sure I was shunned but thankfully I ignored them. I would not be retired today if I listened to these people. They would not be supporting me! Maybe this doesn’t mean anything to you - but it means a whole lot to me!

Trusting in God?? What about the thousands of needy JWs in halls all over who reached retirement age unprepared who are at poverty level. Are you not in reality that they are this way because the religion misled them?

Well, you and other JWs can believe what they want - and they do believe a lot of fallacies.. Glad I’m OUT as I would have No tolerance to be pestered for money to give to people who felt the ministry was their career instead of a real honest-to-goodness paying job. They wouldn’t be caught dead in one. Well, I have No pity for them.

These misled ‘ministers’ can go ask the religion since that’s who they were working for.. Or, maybe they can ask you? ☺️

(MUM, I apologize for this! Merry Christmas.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit