Corporal punishment

by Incognigo Montoya 48 Replies latest social family

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Just out of curiosity, for those claiming that you were hit and it was okay because it taught you a lesson, is that the only way you could have been stopped from that course of action?

My dad never hit me once. Of course, he wasn't healthy either, just emotionally abusive instead of physically and pretty unpredictable so the threat of physical harm was there anyway.

My mom spanked but she was a tiny lady and her spankings were hilarious. The last time she spanked me I laughed and laughed because her knee was in my side in a way that tickled. That just made her angrier. I had never openly laughed or disrespected the spankings but they were ridiculous theater of power and nothing more. I rarely got one because I was a good kid.

One time as a late teen she tried to slap me for being sarcastic, the first time that had been attempted, and I caught her hand. It was reflex, and I apologized because it was like a kid at school messing with me and I just reacted. Funny how she never touched me again. It just goes to show that it was nothing more than an act of power. It's not like after that moment I was uncontrollable.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

for those claiming that you were hit and it was okay because it taught you a lesson, is that the only way you could have been stopped from that course of action? - hmm, don't know.

It's good to reason with kids if you can.

But what happens if they won't be reasoned with?

Another issue in this thread seems to be re the meaning of words like smacking, spanking and beating.

I feel that, under some circumstances, a short sharp smack (done with an open hand) on the arm, back of legs or bottom is understandable. Corporal punishment for children is criminalised in Sweden, I believe. I'm not sure about the legal status of it in the UK.

Prosecuting a parent for smacking their own child on the bottom/back of legs sounds ridiculous to me, unless excessive force or striking with the fist, etc, were used.

• cofty
    cofty
    what happens if they won't be reasoned with?

There are all sorts of punishments you can use. Denial of privileges - no TV, games, after-school sports etc. With little children being made to sit apart from the family for a while 'the naughty step' can be effective.

Even more important is noticing and rewarding good behaviour.

It takes time, patience, and consistency. Act like an intelligent adult.

In the UK it is illegal to smack using any implement or to use your hand in such a way as to leave a mark. In Scotland the legal defence of 'reasonable chastisement' is set to be removed this year making smacking illegal.

• Olig
    Olig

Cofty - can you explain last comment?

• Olig
    Olig

Your reply to me sorry

• cofty
    cofty

Specifically?

• Olig
    Olig

Why was it the most idiotic comment you've read on here for a long time? Actually quite proud ;)

• cofty
    cofty

You think adults should hit young children so as to 'build up a resilience to pain'.

What sort of explanation do I need to give for condemning that?

• Olig
    Olig

No no I didn't mean it like that. I meant when discipline is firm (in my view, smacking or slapping - to give a short term sting) I think that it teaches children to deal with pain, and when painful times come along e.g. broken bones etc. It will teach them to deal with it. I remember as a kid when I got slapped the pain was incredible, but as I got slapped more often the pain stayed the same, but I managed to deal with it better, and it's helped me in later life.

• cofty
    cofty

Stop digging

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit