Stop Funding Watchtower in Canada!

by Vanderhoven7 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Blondie I think the US has a stronger belief in separation of church and sate, embedded in the US Constitution, Bill of Rights. It was one of the reasons it separated from the UK

Very true. And yet particular religious denominations in the US have far more political influence than our national church in the UK could ever do. I think it's one reason that it's highly unlikely Watchtower will ever loose it's charitable status in the US. Or at least it's the last place it will do so....

Thoughts?

• blondie
    blondie

Diogenesister, religions in the US tend to believe that a privilege taken from one religion, could be taken away from all religions. That is why the WTS has attached itself to other court cases where religions are trying to protect themselves from something the WTS wants protection from, even if the WTS does not agree with that religion's religious beliefs. Did it before regarding charging for publications. That decision that that particular religion had to stop charging, is when the WTS had their members stopped charging for the publications, had to ask for a donation to the worldwide work. Many religious have tried to hide crimes behind that principle, that religions have special benefits. Like financial reports, the IRS here only requires a one page report from religious non-profits, while non-religious non-profits have to file a many-page report. Also, though many more people in the US seem to claim some specific affiliation. I understand that in other countries in Europe do not.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Blondie - “…religions in the US tend to believe that a privilege taken from one religion, could be taken away from all religions…”

They do, indeed.

However, there are some significant unique factors that suggest this might not actually happen here, though…

a) …the vast majority of these other churches actually perform authentic charitable acts that benefit quite a number of people, whereas the WTS most definitely does not

b) …the Org has never really made an effort to make “friends in high places” who’d come to bat for ‘em if things ever went sideways…

…and…

c) …there’s always the chance that public opinion may compel the Justice System to “make an example” of an egregiously offensive group over institutionalized child abuse… and the WTS is the ideal candidate, for all the reasons.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

I agree Vidiot.

A test case against WTC is needed for the government to use as a precedent removal of tax exemption. The climate in the US may be better now than in years past as debt is out of control and new taxation is being proposed to give politicians the means to continue over-spending.

i believe that WTC knows that they are in the sights of the powers that be (along with some other bad players). In Norway, they are not going down without a fight. Expect the same here.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Yup, nobody’s coming to vouch for ‘em there, except lawyers who get paid either way…

…they’re being called out on their increasingly uncharitable policies, and can’t justify or defend them to any convincing degree…

and the way they’re waging their fight is making them look dishonest, entitled, callous, and frankly, kinda stupid.

Like I said, the perfect candidates for the system to make an example of.

Christ, I don’t think they could’ve done it better if they’d set themselves up for it on purpose.

😵‍💫

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit