I think I figured out their strategy with all the creepy videos

by JeffT 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

It is like the last couple that came to my door an Elder and his wife. He asked if I have been looking at their website, I said yes but not any more I find the news there to be extremely slanted they are only telling you the positive things happening with the organization. They have not told you about a single one of the Child Sexual court cases they have lost and I listed some of them or the Australian Royal Commission.

Yes they fear the JWS will find these documents online. I challenged the Elder to go online and read the court transcripts.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS. has always pandered and exploited peoples fears and ignorance, to firstly attract attention to the published literature, then to circumvent control over people to distribute that published literature.

Lying takes precedent many times and being disobedient to the words spoken in the bible in their literature proliferation agenda.

The WTS is loyal to itself first, show its faults and your pointed out as being evil and with Satan, even when you use the Bible to prove your point.  

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I think they plan to use fear instead.

I doubt if they actually sat down as a group and said...."OK fellas, we've got to get these people under control. We saw what happened when we used a specific date, so why don't we trick them to doing what we say by scaring them into it".

However I do think JW leaders really believe what they are preaching and don't think they are trying to trick anyone but instead have become officious about the role they are playing. When people are acting in an official capacity they often start out being eager to help others but somewhere along the line out of a misguided sense of duty, they stop being themselves and start coming up with complicated policies and unnecessary and unwanted ways to control the same people they were trying to help.

The original Bible Students met and studied the Bible and published a Magazine. The next thing you know, people are writing to them in New York and asking for scriptural advice and clarification. Eventually they had a following and began thinking of themselves as having real authority. It took on a life of it's own until decades later they believe that they have the responsibility to intervene in and govern everyone's personal relationship with God and the members personal lives by any means necessary.

I think they really believe what is being said in these " creepy videos" and that they are necessary but instead of simply teaching people what the Bible says and letting them act accordingly as they see fit, they believe they need to control them and force the desired outcome.

• sir82
    sir82

I think you nailed it Jeff.

Same fear factor without any of that embarrassing date setting.

I have no difficulty imagining a top-secret GB strategy session in which they were discussing how to drum up 1975-levels of hysteria without the potential humiliation of being undeniably proven false prophets again.

Videos at RCs are exactly what the doctor ordered. Ratchet up the fear without promising anything.

Genius move, if you are evil.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

F.O.G. at it's thickest.

It will have a more deep effect on the newbies; we old JWs recognize that it's just another old 'crying wolf' instalment.

This 'going nuclear' with their fear tactic seems necessary since there is this massive bleed-out in membership. People are finding out TTATT and leaving in droves!

Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DY

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

What really angers me is that children are sitting there too, and taught these false prophesies and being scared. They don't have the perspective we have, they don't know to be cynical. They are taught to fear everything around them. This is child abuse.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

It more of the same with better tools like video . They have always used fear of death at Armageddon to get the rank and file to comply . And yes there's that nice carrot too the paradise , so be good and you'll get paradise be bad and die. It's what Christianity has always been about, carrot and the stick. Just really sucks that kids are having to watch this stuff.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Children should not watch these videos.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I like what FayeDunaway said.

What really angers me is that children are sitting there too, and taught these false prophesies and being scared. They don't have the perspective we have, they don't know to be cynical. They are taught to fear everything around them. This is child abuse.
    Can anyone say......Jim Jones aka Jonestown? Or how about David Koresh aka Waco, Texas?

HappyDad
  • Dagney
    Dagney
    Videos at RCs are exactly what the doctor ordered. Ratchet up the fear without promising anything.

I remember in the pre-1975 time, we had Service Meeting skits on how to wear disguises, carry wigs, reversible coats. Lots of "when we are under ban and in prison" comments. I mean, my own mother asked what I was going to eat in prison if they only gave us cooked carrots...my mortal enemy as a kid.

How crazy is that? **sigh**

So here we are 40-50 years later...promises unfullfilled. Are their memories so short, or are do they really believe it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit