Weight Loss and Insulin Control

by cofty 19 Replies latest social physical

• just fine
    just fine

Yes!!! This worked for me.I lost 50 lbs and have kept it off for 4 years. I feel so much better - I did Keto - but had vegetables and berries every day. As long as I stay away from bread and sugar I do not have cravings and can maintain my weight even after menopause. I’ve learned to make keto versions of my favorite foods and enjoy experimenting with almond and coconut flour recipes.

• LV101
    LV101

Cofty I have a book for you to read when your schedule permits -- I ordered month or so ago and haven't had time as usual but always appreciate your intellect. It's called 'Fibre Fuelled' by Dr. Will Bulsiewicz - "The Plant-Based Gut Health Plan to Lose Weight, Restore Health and Optimise Your Microbiome," it helps the immune system or so I read online. I know couple people following this (not for gut issues but to lose weight/oh my) and lovin' it but they've more than 10 LBS to lose, IMO.

• Simon
    Simon

Great information, well explained.

Our youngest did Keto to kick-start his weight loss combined with regular visits to the gym, he's since bought himself a Spiderman suit because he now has the physique for it, LOL

It's challenging though, you have to get used to a reduced range of foods.

For me, the misinformation about food is an early example of "trust the science, but that isn't the science". The food pyramid and everything we were told about what foods were good and bad was a complete fabrication, just to push processed food, corn syrup etc ... Special interests, using the government to mandate and profit.

Traditional food, fat, butter, taste, is what is healthier.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

There's so much misinformation out there. Sadly, a lot of it comes from medical professionals.

At the beginning of covid lockdowns I started an experiment. I was cooking a lot more, because my wife was working from home, and I was home more too.

My experiment was to see what happened when I started using way more butter, cream, sour cream, red meat etc. in my cooking. No, scrimping. I stopped worrying about how much oil I used in things (avocado oil for high heat, olive oil for cooler things. Sometimes bacon fat!).

My wife was concerned because she normally takes full advantage of her free gym membership, but couldn't anymore because of the lockdowns. She would tell people about the meals I was cooking and they'd say, "Oh, that sounds yummy, but I'd be worried about my weight and health."

So, what happened to us? My weight stayed the same and my wife lost weight. I get fairly comprehensive lab work three or four times a year and my cholesterol levels (they were already good) have been dropping. My hdl/ldl ratio is now consistently abnormal... on the good side of the scale, under 2.0.

• TD
    TD

Kinda depressing to discover later in life that concentration camp rations and running 30+ kilometers a week wasn't the best method of weight control.

(Not saying it didn't work. -Just saying it was never very pleasant)

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

Cool Doctor, can ask him any question in $12 a month room, better chance answering there then in his $5 a month room.

Can You Cure Type 2 Diabetes with Diet?? [Diabetes Reversal Explained] 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efIhk5ODo0g

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

One of the reasons the whole truth about diets and obesity is so hard to find is because the dieting industry is worth billions, and the last thing the latest fad diet gurus want is for weight control to be made simple. I recommend this guy, even if some of it differs from Cofty's analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

We can't exchange one oversimplification for another. The newest science recognizing the role of insulin resistance is changing the picture but there are many other aspects to factor in. The role of genetics is huge. Familial high cholesterol and cancer risk increase from inflammation causing foods (omega 6) and HAs and PAHs from grilling must not be dismissed as myth. Kidney disease, colitis, food sensitivities, EPA limits to eating of fish from polluted water, etc.

Even eating what is generally held to be good food has risks, eating a lot of spinach (sorry Popeye) or squash or tree nuts for examples, has been associated with a slew of health issues. Most everything we could eat has some toxins or risk. That is how vegetable and animal life evolved, nothing is concerned about keeping us healthy. Bodies have needs and those needs outweigh the risks of unwanted compounds in the organisms we consume. We now through science have the ability to quantify those risks.

In short, moderate exercise, eat your vegies in moderation, eat less red meat, limit sugars and fast once in a while for 12hrs or more seems a middle road that is hard to find fault with.

• Queequeg
  • cofty
    cofty

Interesting chat.

As a few have commented there are so many confusing and conflicting views about nutrition.

My particular point in this thread was related to weight loss. Decades of advice from official channels and the diet industry has been a total failure. Calorie counting and exercise regimes will work in the short term but they are horrible and almost always end up rebounding. If you wanted to enjoy a large and expensive meal of an evening on a special occasion you might spend the day eating less and moving more so as to work up an appetite and yet that is exactly the advice we are supposed to stick to.

A few things that are certain ..

1. All sugars and carbs cause a blood-glucose spike
    2. Insulin is released in order to suppress blood glucose
    3. Elevated insulin forces our cells to convert glucose to fat and store it
    4. Most people have elevated insulin levels most of the day
    5. Over time we become insulin resistant leading to a plethora of diseases including obesity
    6. Approximately 88% of Americans and a similar number of Brits have metabolic disorder

The results people get when they ignore official advice and severely limit carbs in favour of fats and meat is dramatic and long-term. As a few have said balance is important. The only really useful changes are ones you can live with in the longer term. Reducing refined carbs and ultra-processed food is really important for health. If food comes in a packet with more than five ingredients try to avoid it.

The food industry cares ONLY about profit - they are no more ethical than tobacco companies.

I think when I get time I will start a new thread about how the official food pyramid came about and why it is so messed up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit