making out like a bandit

by enoughisenough 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Here is a practice I only recently learned about and am actually interested in learning more details...Some of you may have experience on the subject. I always thought it marvelous, loving, and kind how the brothers would go in ( at their own expense) after disasters and repair homes of the witnesses who had been adversely effected. I personally have worked freely helping to clean and repair after flooding. What I didn't know was about the homeowners giving over the insurance money to the branch when the brothers repaired the homes. I am curious to know just how that is handled...Do the homeowners agree to it before the repairs? Are they emotionally blackmailed into it after the repairs? How is it decided whose home gets worked on? I titled this making out like a bandit because some insurances no doubt had factored in replacement ( which may include building, which requires paying for labor ) The labor came free by the volunteers ! Some household items would not need to be purchased again because people would give the homeowners furniture and aplliances. (I personally have provided furnishings that were better than what was lost-not bragging-just the facts!)

• Biahi
    Biahi

Yes, the rank and file witnesses did the hard work repairing homes, and the WT society reaped the rewards collecting the insurance checks that the recipients were “encouraged “ to donate to them. They want your money, and NO ACCOUNTABILITY as to how they spend it, aka the WWW.

• hoser
    hoser

The same thing happens when you rent a room from a hotel on the approved lodging list. Watchtower is getting kickbacks.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    enoughisenough: I am curious to know just how that is handled...

I don't know for certain 100%, but my understand is that -at least in the USA- the insurer has to approve of the contractor so that they don't end up paying for substandard work. The WTS may contact the insurer and convince them that they can handle the work, but I have no idea how that process goes. But if they're cashing the checks, I'm pretty sure that is what happens.

Well, I guess another way they can do it is for the homeowner to get an estimate and have the insurer cut a check, which they then turn over to the WTS. But I would assume that the insurer would be the one providing the estimate and would also need to inspect the home afterwards to make sure their money was spent properly (they are, after all, still insuring the home against future damage). But I guess it's possible that the homeowner can ask to use their own contractor and the insurer allows it, as long as the repair is up to their standards when they inspect it.

But yes, the end result is that the WTS sends volunteers to provide free time and labor, and the organization gets the money. I'm not sure who pays for the materials, but I assume the WTS does. They still come out well ahead, since labor is a large part of the cost and can be variable, while material costs tend to be more stable and predictable.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The 'disaster relief' work is indeed a money maker for the WT.

One comment I would add that hasn't been mentioned yet regarding flood damage, particularly in light of recent news of flooding in parts of Kentucky (US). Homeowner insurance in the US does not cover flood damage. Flood insurance in the US is the federal Flood Insurance Program. Homes that are not in a designated flood plain are seldom covered by the flood insurance unless the homeowner has voluntarily purchased it (relatively rarely so). The poor folks in KY mining towns situated along rivers nearly all are not covered for flood insurance. I don't expect the WT will be organizing disaster relief for the recent KY flooding, as there is no money in it for them.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I'm guessing here's how it works. Let's say it normally costs 10k to replace a roof by a contractor. The organization does it but shingles and etc. Amount to 2k. Because it's free labor the org just made a 8k profit!!

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I don't expect the WT will be organizing disaster relief for the recent KY flooding, as there is no money in it for them.

That would be interesting to know the follow up of. As to living in a known flood plain, I don't know if you can get a mortgage without flood insurance.

On another note, years ago, this happened...a divorced sister couldn't maintain her home (before her husband took up with another woman, they decided to tear down the old home she owned and put in a new modular or doublewide-whatever ) The foundation wasn't right and the house was showing signs of the shoddy foundation. I complained to the elders that they would go for miles and at their own expense to fix the homes of brothers and sisters they didn't know, while they didn't care that her home was falling off it's foundation. This did guilt trip them into speaking with her about it, but by this time, she couldn't afford the house payments and she had decided to abandon the place. My Mom didn't go to church, but a church group from where my sister attended went to my Mom's and repairs her old back porch. ( some churches have these volunteers for their members-JWs don't) What's up with that...you can go miles away and assist while a local person without means have their home fall down around them. Maybe others have better experience. I am not suggesting that members of a congregation owe us home maintainance, but I am calling out the hypocrisy.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

you can go miles away and assist while a local person without means have their home fall down around them

It's the exact same thing with their field misery. They will spend thousands of hours getting some poor schmuck in the front door of the kingdom hall, while totally ignoring long time members as they shuffle out the back door!

WT doesn't have any genuine love or care for people, they ONLY care about raking in as much $$$$$ as they can.

• jhine
    jhine

Well however they manage to wrangle ( technical term ) it surely what they are doing must be considered fraud .

If contractors have provided quotes which definitely should happen in the UK then the insurance company thinks that it's that is the best price for the job .

I do not see for the life of me how this practice can be legal. Tut tut Watchtower.

Jan

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Jan:

Oh yes, the Pegasus has recorded all kinds of materials on this fraud scheme. Watchtower Letters, Manuals, Videos, Disaster Prepare Plans,

and so forth. The S-180 Manual which mentions requesting for Insurance Checks.

If anyone wants all that stuff just let me know!

If you find my Wendy's Classic Double Burger with Cheese and Fries in there, send that back!

Goofy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit