Do we really need this many prayers in a day?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

There’s no proof that prayers have any effect whatsoever, other than perhaps giving the person who prays a false sense of having done something. All claims that prayers have been answered are either anecdotal, fraudulent, delusional or are the result of either pure coincidence or confirmation bias.

How many prayers do you need in a day?

You get up and eat breakfast...you pray for another day of life

You go out in field service...you pray to Jehovah to give you strength, guidance

You eat lunch... you pray for your provision of food

You go to the Sunday meeting...there is an opening prayer to Jehovah and the Governing Body

You end the Watchtower Study meeting...you sing song and say a prayer

You eat dinner...you pray to Jehovah for your food

You go to bed...you pray to Jehovah for living one more day of life

• Marbles
    Marbles

I learned in my World Religions Class in College that religion relies heavily on "ritual," or routine. Someone might "make the connection" that something positive happened to them while they were wearing a Number Three Jersey, so now, anytime something important needs to get done, like filing papers for a loan, etc., they wear their "lucky jersey." Routine brings a sense of existential security, so a person might say things like, "I feed the dogs at 5:30 a.m., have my coffee, and watch the news, every day religiously."

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Prayer is mostly pointless in the Judeo-Christian practice.

The Lord/God/Jehovah/Jesus is a real, omniscient person who knows the past, present, and future simultaneously. He already knows -

• What He is going to do
    • What you are going to do
    • What you need
    • What you want

Even a prayer of thanks is unnecessary as if you are truly grateful He already knows it before you receive your Godly gift and before you appreciate it.

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.

It was already hallowed.

Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

If He wants it done it is getting done. No prayers required.

Give us this day our daily bread,

If you're getting it you're getting it. He decided before you were born whether you were getting it or not.

and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

I've got nothing on this. If you are truly sorry you should voice your apology.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

He doesn't lead anyone anywhere. That is why it is called "freewill".

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Even a prayer of thanks is unnecessary as if you are truly grateful He already knows it before you receive your Godly gift and before you appreciate it.

Adults who have children never ask for daily gratitude from their children for providing food, clothing and for putting them through school. Parents don't need a daily phone call from their children thanking them for everything they have done for them.

Employers don't need to be thanked and worshipped on a daily basis for providing employment. If someone hands you a gift, a one time thank you is enough.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

I've heard it said about our prayers for meals, which is that dogs can even wag their tails in appreciation for a meal. I have a dog that wags its tail especially when I come home and he jumps a lot also then too. Not so much for food, walks, or for taking him to the veterinarian. Treats, I've bought lots of treats and he doesn't like them. So, he's picky. But, he likes it when we sit together. He is happy, he smiles when he is happy, he sleeps on my dirty laundry, wants to sleep in my bed, but not so much, only for about 15 minutes then he jumps off, but only when it's thundering or fireworks outside. He has to sit with me every time I go to the bathroom and to shower or well, yea. He is there, But, he doesn't have a tail, so there's that. Maybe, he doesn't like his food. I don't blame him.

I was always critical of the idea that someone giving or "saying" a prayer to God thanking him solely for the food. Never mentioning the "axe" hard work done by the household in the secular world for simple wages and menial jobs, the hours of preparation the meal took, the farmers who planted and took a financial risk on a crop, the seasonal workers who traveled and harvested the crops, the truckers who transported the crops, the oil companies, and their workers who provided the oil-based products for the equipment and trucks transporting the harvest to market, the fertilizer companies, the harvest equipment manufacturing companies like John Deere and Massey Ferguson plus, the water well drilling companies and their suppliers, the seed growers, etc, you get the idea. How about the companies and men, even the governments that built the roads for the trucks to transport the produce. How about giving the taxpayers a round of applause for paying taxes, (a real sacrifice), to build and maintain an infrastructure for commerce so we can have watermelons and pecans from Georgia, and oranges from Florida transported on railroads to anywhere in the world?

So, if we thanked everyone involved in a meal, prayers would be really long, like prayers at the end of a convention. "We want to thank the non-non-anti- but-union workers for working for no wages or benefits cleaning the bathrooms for free during this xx day convention". Let's give a round of applause to the workers that normally work at this arena and whose families depend on their work here, but we cut out of paying wages to them by having free uninsured labor clean the restrooms, all the while in their "Christian dress" wearing sometimes cheap suits and dresses and at other times very nice suits and dresses. We demonstrate our "Christiansoness by the nicety of our dress while cleaning toilets". Clearly, we are more spiritual than Notre Dame that burnt years ago. Further, But, we saved you, peasants, three cents per publisher attending this convention and all you had to do was while attending this convention is spend 1/3 of your time maintaining the property that was rented. Think of it as a working vacation!!

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I think a big reason that religions require or at least strongly encourage people to pray is in order to control their minds. Engaging in praying and other rituals (including attending KH meetings and going out in field service) helps to keep religion on people's minds, and that has the effect of controlling people's minds.For many people it also probably causes them to retain their belief in a god/God and in the religion.

In a way even the WT admits this, though they say it in a way which they say is positive and beneficial to people. For an example see what they say in paragraph 7 on page 59 of the WT book called Live With Jehovah's Day In Mind. It says a Christian might get into a situation in which "... he feels that he must miss some Christian meetings in order to work. In time, missing meetings becomes easier, and he misses more frequently. Little by little, his bond with god weakens-he has 'begun to forget his Maker.' " Likewise note that pages 66-67 say the following. "We need more than superficial knowledge about Jehovah. He must become real to us, our trusted Friend who we can approach freely.' Interestingly I read pages 59 and 66-67 about twelve hours before I read the posts of this forum topic.

When I was a teenager (or perhaps younger) I asked by mother (a devout JW) 'why do I need to pray so often, since Jehovah knows what I need and want and knows everything anyway.' She said 'it is because Jehovah wants us to talk to him.' But Jehovah never talked (or communicated in any other way) to me and there was no evidence, which I could discern, that I ever had an actual relationship with Jehovah God. It was like me writing letters to an address in which there is no person at the address to receive any of the mail, nor anyone else retrieving the mail!

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Correction: In the quote of the WT's book where I typed "god" I should have typed "God".

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

The Watchtower | October 2015

COVER SUBJECT | DOES IT DO ANY GOOD TO PRAY?

Prayer—What It Can Do for You

Like Jesus, many today have been reassured when they have seen how God has responded to their requests for help in making wise decisions. Regina, in the Philippines, tells of the various problems she has faced, such as supporting herself and her family after the death of her husband, losing a job, and experiencing difficulty in raising children. What has helped her to make wise decisions? She says, “I depend on Jehovah’s help through prayer.” Kwabena, in Ghana, tells why he asked for God’s help, “I lost my well-paying job in construction.” About considering his options, he says, “I consistently prayed to Jehovah for guidance in making the right decision.” He adds, “I feel strongly that Jehovah helped me to choose a career that enables me to care for my spiritual and physical needs.” You too can experience God’s guidance by praying about matters that could affect your relationship with him.

Kwabena loses a well-paying job. How does Kwabena find a new job? Does he look at local job sites, network or even send out resumes to local employers? That is too hard!

Kwabena prays to Jehovah. Jehovah helps him choose a career where he gets paid a decent wage and has time to make his meetings and field service. Jehovah must be the greatest networker.

So, can explain anyone how Jehovah found this job for Kwabena, and how was Kwabena guided to apply for this job? Did the ''holy spirit'' walk him to the employer or did the ''holy spirit'' have a link on his computer, where an employer was waiting for Kwabena to fill?

If it is so easy to pray for a job, there would be no unemployed Jehovah's Witnesses, and no ne would be holding manual labor jobs that pay minimum wage!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Recently a acquaintance said jehovah provided. A newer car for their disfellowshipped daughter who is still engaging in immoral conduct. Maybe it was actually their inherited money.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

@ R & R - Your list left out the large numbers of prayers that the governing body has put in print JW's must also pray:

*** ws16 May p. 16 par. 4 How Do You Make Personal Decisions? ***
    "So before we make a decision, we need to think about what the Bible says and then obey it. We can pray to Jehovah to help us make decisions that will please him."

So pray before deciding which side of the bed to get out of in the morning, which sock to put on first, shirt first or pants, what color shirt, what to eat for breakfast, fill up with fuel in your vehicle before going to work or after, turn left or turn right, what to eat for noon dinner, pick up groceries on the way home or wait until tomorrow, there are so many decisions that a person makes every day on auto-pilot, and every single one of them are another reason to stop and say a prayer for help making that decision, then say a prayer of thanks for being able to finally make the decision at all.

Is it any wonder so many JW's cannot make any decision without begging the eldurrs for their "help"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit