To all former Elders – what are your thoughts

by Tallon 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I've made it a point to apologise to any who I offended or caused upset to due to my self-righteous attitude I had as an appointed man....

• James Jack
    James Jack
    stuckinarut2an hour ago

I've made it a point to apologise to any who I offended or caused upset to due to my self-righteous attitude I had as an appointed man.

2 people that I DF'd(Teenagers), who are still out, I have apologized to for not helping them when they needed it the most.

• cofty
    cofty

Only one. He was a piece of shit sexual predator. No regrets.

On another occasion a middle-age sister was caught shoplifting. She had so many emotional and family issues. The elders wanted to form a JC. After a contentious elder's meeting I finally persuaded them to allow myself and another elder to meet with her to offer support instead. I was very proud of that moment.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

There wasn't that many problems where I served as an elder, however when I was on a JC and we DF'd someone, I felt more sad for the person involved than anything else. While I was a true believer throughout my eldership, at the time I just saw those committees more as a logical legal process, reacting to 'sin' as per the KS book, I guess. I suppose I was lucky though, that I was with a body that was slightly more lenient than others too, as we were as fair and gentile as we could be seeing most of my cases involved some form of mental illness as an additional factor. However knowing what I know now, I would have definitely call the cops myself on this one guy who was a manipulative pedophile. We DF'd him, but unfortunately he got a way with it because none of the people directly involved or relatives wanted it to go public. Happily Karma fixed him pretty good, with that person dying rather badly not long later.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

@ stuckinarut2:

@ James Jack:

When you both apologized to the DF's ones, how did they react? I am curious to know.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi All,

I'm not an elder because I'm a female, but I would like to ask you all a question....When you were elders the scripture that said, do not judge or else you will be judged...I think something like that....or the one where the same measure you judge someone you will be judged with the same measure...How did you all handle those scriptures, in good conscience...did you ever feel that those scriptures about judging, would ever apply to you ? How did you rationalize that in your hearts and minds?

When I became a witness, I knew they DF'd but not to this degree...why would anyone want to have God's job at judging?

Just wondering....

Tor

• cofty
    cofty
    the scripture that said, do not judge or else you will be judged...I think something like that....or the one where the same measure you judge someone you will be judged with the same measure...How did you all handle those scriptures, in good conscience...did you ever feel that those scriptures about judging, would ever apply to you ? How did you rationalize that in your hearts and minds?

Hi Tor. I think it is a matter of context. Once the early church was established a hierarchy of deacons and elders were appointed. Among the elders' duties was the task of judging "wrongdoers".

It isn't my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. - 1Cor.5:12 (NLT)

A lot of elders I knew viewed themselves as police of congregation. I always thought of myself as being like a brother who had responsibility to look out for the others. Elders who think that way often end up butting heads with the legalistic sort.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I was first on one, as a young elder it totally freaked me out, to judge somebody and "cast them outside" . Who was I to judge their future? .... I then reasoned that JCs only apply "Bible law" (as I saw it then) and the WTS rules ,maybe put someone out of association, but God still judged their salvation. He was not bound by our decision....so I could then do it.

I was not "ganged up on". If we did not agree we talked, I might be persuaded but if one of us really did not agree, we did not d/f .

As soon as I woke up to the TATT , I never sat on a J C - I could not do that , any excuse would do to avoid it.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I was never an elder (fortunately) but my father was for many years and I have known and been good friends with many. I was also an MS for decades, seeing and hearing loads.

From what I have seen and discussed with ones over the years both before my awakening and after, it is clear that every body has these two types of elders described by Cofty. The problem is that often the legalistic ones are the assertive bullies that dominate the rest of the body and then have their minions trying to be even more legalistic so as to try and impress them. The result - the more humanistic ones are the minority and in no position to promulgate change or influence a more loving arrangement.

At the end of the day most elders on a JC tell themselves they are doing what Jehovah is asking them to do. That's enough to deflect most, if not all, of any disquieting thoughts they may have.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

I know about that scripture, but I just found 37 scriptures that are not about the only believers..I think Jesus was telling us to look at our own sin before judging someone else.

Didn't judging someone else pricked at ones conscience ? I'm a newbie, & I know it's wrong for anyone to judge anyone else..who am I ? Maybe we can correct a person but judge ....Nah....what about the scripture that says if you have a plank in your eye, take yours out before you see someone else's plank...being we are all imperfect, I just don't get how one could sleep at night. Just because there were an elder doesn't mean they are perfect....

Even if Jehovah said so....which that means man said so & man said it was Jehovah & they cherry picked that judgment scripture to back it up, but there are so many others that say...DON'T JUDGE...

That's why I hate jury duty....I think what's getting me is that how can one justify it within themselves to think it was the right thing to do ...JUST TO SAVE THEIR OWN NECKS...

I know I know...The Devil made them do it..

Tor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit