Meghan Markle Will Omit 'Obey' from Her Wedding Vows to Prince Harry

by AFRIKANMAN 17 Replies latest jw friends

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

When Meghan Markle says her royal wedding vows to Prince Harry on Saturday, she’ll be following in the footsteps of Princess Diana and Kate Middleton by choosing to omit the traditional promise to “obey” her husband, the palace confirms.

During the ceremony, officiated by Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, Meghan will tell her royal groom: “I Meghan, take you, Harry, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward; for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part; according to God’s holy law. In the presence of God I make this vow.”

The decision doesn’t come as a surprise: Meghan has long been a vocal feminist, working with organizations like One World Vision to learn about the challenges facing women and girls living in Dubai and Mumbai. She also served as an ambassador for United Nations Women. And when she was just 11 years old, she personally wrote to Procter & Gamble because she thought one of their advertisements was sexist. (Her tactic was effective: The company ended up changing their slogan to make it more gender inclusive.)

Gutzpah !

[I promise to OBEY the Globbering Bubbles - the Guardians of Doctrine .....................]

• waton
    waton
    " --according to God’s holy law.--"

that will still make any lawyer, rub her hands. (Bill's wife is a lawyer) . Another lawyer, Saul of Tarsus, declared all of 1 Cor. 11, 14 to be " --the Lords commandments" (verse 37) so:

are we not glad we know where this all came from.

wish them the best. wish more newly weds would have so little real cares.

• alanv
    alanv

Such a great day today in UK. Practically the whole of the UK will be watching Meghan & Harry's wedding. The fact Meghan will not be saying 'obey' takes nothing away from the fact that they are very much in love and both have huge respect for each other.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i doubt that practically the whole of the UK will be watching...apparantly theres some fubbal game on tv at the same time. i reckon half the UK couldnt care less about this wedding. its just a tourist attraction.

my first wife--a born in dub--omitted the obey bit as well. and she meant it.

• cofty
    cofty

The Royal wedding will be all finished before the FA cup final kicks off at 5:15.

Brilliant weather - a good day for the UK.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    The Royal wedding will be all finished before the FA cup final kicks off at 5:15

That's if he gets there. Rumour has it that he could well be tied up for a while..

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I am enjoying seeing everyone so happy and excited about either the wedding or the footy. The weather is gorgeous too, been enjoying it since six thirty in my garden. Hope they'll be happy, it's hard for a kid losing a parent, she will be good for him I think.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I see Serena Williams is there in the audience

• John Free
    John Free

I enjoyed the American preacher Michael curry strutting his stuff in a deeply traditional church. My, how he raised some royal eyebrows. But I think people loved his style.

Although an atheist I was, briefly, tempted by him back into Christianity. For about 0.68 seconds anyway.

Enjoy your day guys.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6xijhqU8r2A

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I'm all for omitting that "obey" nonsense, along with all those ridiculous traditions that are equally useless.

Personally I can't care less about their wedding (I'm not related to them nor was I invited), but congratulations anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit