Impact of GDPR on WT HQ and EU branches?

by respectful_observer 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zboubiz
    zboubiz

Thank you for giving more details.

I’m pretty sure most of the elders don’t even think about looking at the legal aspect of the matter or try to understand how they should (legally) act when trying to get the consents signed.

They only see these consents forms as a way to show submission to the WT and something that you should be thinking about no more than a few seconds. I would even go as far as saying that this is treated as some kind of new light and not even as a legal matter.

They’re only satisfied and used to say Yes! when the WT asks something and to consider those who don’t as rebellious and not as good as them.

This lack of thinking will produce the kind of behavior you talk about @AverageJoe1. They could face a lot of trouble legally if those words were recorded.

• Corney
    Corney

Do German religions really have the power to create a 'religious law' that adds to or even substitutes secular law as your translation of 'Gesetz' with 'law' implies? Or is this just a 'policy'?

'Gesetz' is generally translated as 'law'; for example, 'Grundgesetz' is the German Basic Law, and 'Strafgesetzbuch' is 'Criminal Code'.

The religious communities with public law status enjoy a number of special rights and privileges (Religion and Law in Germany, paras. 230 et seq.) including the right to self-determination - i.e., to regulate and administer their own affairs within the limits of the law of "particular importance to the common weal" (Ibid, paras. 299-306).

German law usually refers to "regulations" (Regelungen) of religious communities; but it is not uncommon among churches to adopt 'gesetzes' (an example) that are translated in English as 'laws', 'acts' or 'regulations'. See, for example, this CJEU judgment, para. 18.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Then in the “Spiritual Gems” Talk, the brother spent 5 minutes talking about “loyalty” to Jehovah and his Organisation by signing the GDPR form and how by not doing so it revealed a bad attitude. I was so taken aback that I didn’t even think to record it. I should have in hindsight.

Doesn't this on its own violate the law? This is pure coercion to sign when one is unwilling to do so and it is clearly a punitive action for not signing.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Many years ago i called an elder in my daughter's congregation to check on her. She was having marital problems and extremely distraught. (That's when i believed all that crap about going to the elders if you were having serious problems.)

The background sounds were interesting as he spoke to me, and kept saying Hold on, and then he would get back and start talking again. It sounded as if he was reading something. After a few minutes he began berating me for trying to get help for her. He said what was needed was for ME to go to ALL the meetings and go in service more.

He didn't know me; i had been briefly introduced to him one time. That's how i knew his name to be able to call him. How did he know i missed meetings and had low hours?

I thought then that there must be a database for elders to look up records on members. I asked an elder, who was my "friend's" husband, if there was such a thing. He looked me in the eye and said NO. I didn't believe him.

• jhine
    jhine

l only look in now and again and only just found this . Respectful_observer the Church of England only keeps any records at parish ( local church ) level . Then only on people who have CHOSEN to have their names on the electoral roll . That entitles them to vote !! for members of the PCC and church wardens .

The only information needed is address and date of birth , even then next to the year of my birth l put "non of your business"

l did later on need to supply the year when l was DBS checked because l am on the PCC ( Parochial Church Councl ) even though l have no contact with children or vunerable adults by way of my role in church .

All Vicars , church wardens and treasurers have received up to date training on the new law .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit