Impact of GDPR on WT HQ and EU branches?

by respectful_observer 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

Hey SillyGirl,

I know there’s a program that many secretaries use in Spain and the UK called “Hourglass” and it stores ALL the publishers info (private details) on the developer’s server in the USA. It is designed and maintained by JWs but goes against all UK, Spanish and soon to be European Data Protection laws.

I know of a number of JWs who have expressed concern to their elders about this only to be told “the Data is secure”.

https://app.hourglass-app.com/login

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

(In the US) my banks and credit card companies all send an annual "policy" letter on privacy and their "use" of a person's data/information. I would expect the WTS to do this annually in the CLAM paper (no idea what it is called now that replaces the KM) in any branch area that is affected by this law.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Thanks for mentioning the 'hourglass' program AverageJoe1. That was an interesting rabbithole to followup on. It seems that there all kinds of JW apps available. Who would have thought it possible?

• sillygirlforgotpassword
    sillygirlforgotpassword

Thanks AverageJoe :)

Data that belongs to a European subject held in the US is a high gdpr focus point - highlighting differences between policies in the two continents.

I hope I haven’t gotten ahead of myself in predicting doom for the borg légales. Time will tell what comes of this regulation

• Corney
    Corney

This Monday, the German branch committee adopted a new data protection law (DSGJZ). It enters into force tomorrow.

https://www.jehovaszeugen.de/uploads/media/Amtsblatt_2018_Nr._2.pdf

I has created a bilingual file (the English text is a partially corrected machine translation); it is available here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PqhnipxPm3dPQTVXVjiiBftOEvdboRJB/view?usp=sharing

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

Not a lot of impact really. We’ve had 3 families in our hall not sign anything despite the elders naming and shaming them amongst themselves and then having all their privileges removed.

WT are helping the R&F to wake themselves up!

• zboubiz
    zboubiz

Woah can you tell us a little more about that ? How was the situation handled ? When you talk about shaming, is it publicly or during an elders meeting only ?

How were their privileges removed ? Are they allowed to do anything in the hall, during the CLAM for example ?

I’m really interested because I don’t wanna sign it either and I wonder a lot about the consequences...

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    We’ve had 3 families in our hall not sign anything despite the elders naming and shaming them amongst themselves and then having all their privileges removed.

Next up... a marking talk about "the dangers of not showing complete trust in the Governing Body 'Faithful and Discreet Slave'"?

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@corney,

Thanks, that must have been a lot of work!

Do German religions really have the power to create a 'religious law' that adds to or even substitutes secular law as your translation of 'Gesetz' with 'law' implies? Or is this just a 'policy'?

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

@zboubiz

At the elders meeting we were told who refused to sign and that they displayed an “unchristian, rebellious attitude”. Then my wife tells me that some sisters in the cong were talking about who hadn’t signed it and how they didn’t have any privileges (I’m guessing here that the elders told their wives).

The families that have refused to sign have had all their privileges removed: they can’t participate in the program from the platform (so no CLAM assignments, no reading parts, no handling microphones, nothing)!

@respectful

Then in the “Spiritual Gems” Talk, the brother spent 5 minutes talking about “loyalty” to Jehovah and his Organisation by signing the GDPR form and how by not doing so it revealed a bad attitude. I was so taken aback that I didn’t even think to record it. I should have in hindsight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit