Should WOMEN Serve in Combat???

by JT 41 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

For anyone who knows me, I have always been a very strong support for women's right to do as they please in life, but today we had a very interesting discussion about this issue>

This is to me one area where i wonder is it really the best thing to do, not so much because of how we in the west perhaps view women in positions and power, but how women are often times viewed by those that we maybe at war with. culturally as men we have been conditioned to PROTECT THE WOMAN- in fact in almost all cultures that i can think of that basic mindset is held by most men i would dare say-

i have seen soldiers who were interviewed and how difficult it was watching or hearing a man being beaten or tortured while they were POWs

i can not imagine what it must be like to watch a female soldier beening raped by a baseball bat and to stop it you are told tell us so and so, esp if one knows, of course they could still end up killing both of you, but which is worst, to tell and be shot, or hold out for weeks and months while the female is tortured, especially in some sexual way-

while it may be disgusting to talk about, as we were talking at work, what do you think would be the first way of torture that a group of male soldiers, esp from a culture that doesn't view women perhaps in the most postive light consider how to deal with a female-

while i am all for women doing things i wonder if this is where i draw the line, If you feel differently please share with me why i need to adjust my views

thanks

james

• blondie
    blondie

JT, the whole idea of protecting women is that they are the baby carriers. Can't have a pregnant women in combat. I think women would make fierce fighters. Combat relies so much on electronic gear but there is still a physical side to it. Not every man is up to it nor is every woman. Women are police officers and fire fighters why not combat in the military. They face physical danger on their jobs every day. I understand the issue of rape as a psychological way to hurt women soldiers is more prevalent than with men.

Blondie

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

As far as the rape issue goes men this vile and weak will rape anything from an animal to a man or woman, I guess they feel more powerful by having that power over somebody else. I agree that woman belongs along side men in the fights for life, they are just as strong willed cunning and powerful.

m0nk3y

• Robdar
    Robdar

I support a woman's right to serve in the military. I was rather disappointed a few years ago that many decided to get pregnant to get out of the Gulf War. To take advantage of military benefits and then get pregnant the moment it looks like you may have to repay is, imo, wrong.

I have a friend who is in the military police. She is tall, strong and she doesn't take any shit. The military has taught her well. I know that she will be able to handle any situation that may occur. I wish her God speed.

Robyn

• minimus
    minimus

"What do you think would be the first way of torture that a group of male soldiers, esp. from a culture that doesn't view women perhaps in the most positive light consider how to deal with a female"?.....Why would you want to even ask that question? You want answers to the "first way of torture"? Sorry, but I don't see where this question is even appropriate. "Should women serve in combat???"....Why not? Because they can be raped? A male can be overpowered too. If a female feels that she is qualified to serve in any facet of the armed forces, the police, firefighters, or as Prime Minister, so be it. Many women have proven themselves to be as strong as any man could be.And I am talking about mentally as well as emotionally. And if a woman chooses to have an abortion or serve in combat,it's her choice, period, not our business,imo.

• Xena
    Xena

Interesting question JT....you know I don't question a woman being about to withstand any torture up to and including rape..women are a LOT stronger then people tend to think...but the psycological impact of a man brought up to respect and protect women being forced to WATCH a woman being raped...would HE be able to handle that without breaking? Do women in combat compromise the men's ability to withstand torture? hhhmmmm something to think about...

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Re: Should WOMEN Serve in Combat???

YES

They do it in Isreal. The young women there seem to be OK with it.

I think it teaches women much that has been missing from our lives. IE: how to survive

I wanted to join the military out of HS....my mother was really against it. I could not figure out a better way to prove that I was equal and I was strong.

I did not. However, I will support any woman who wants to and can.

No matter what an enemy brings at me, I would find a way to make him pay. No ifs, ands, or buts.

• Robdar
    Robdar

No matter what an enemy brings at me, I would find a way to make him pay. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Shout it out loud and say it proud, Teenyuck.

Love,

Robyn

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

{{Robyn}}

• teejay
    teejay

In the armed services? Yes.

In combat? Absolutely not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest