The Elders of the congregations make for the worst possible "shepards".

by Dunedain 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

The main goal of a shepard, is to keep the flock as safe as possible. The loss of just a single sheep, could be devastating to a flock, and a shepards financial well being. Every sheep is valuable, from a monetary stanpoint, and future strength of the flock. A shepards diligence, is constant. A shepard is always aware of a straying sheep, or if there are predatory wolves threatening the flock. David was a young shepard boy, and his diligence was proven by his use of the rock, and sling. His constantly, slinging rocks at wolves, to keep his flock safe, honed his skills. His practice, allowed him to accurately sling a rock, from a great distance, right between Goliaths eyes. Modern day shepards still, in many countries, apply this method to keep their sheep safe.

Todays "Elders", compare themselves to shepards. They are the shepards of the "flock". In charge of the protection, and spiritual well being of the congregation, their "sheep". As a shepard, each sheep should be valuable and worthy of diligent protection, from the "wolves" of the world.

Could any of us imagine a shepard actually "throwing" a sheep to the wolves. Of course not, this would go against everything we know about how a shepards main role is to "protect" the flock.

What if a sheep within a shepards flock, started to wander slightly outside the "protected" area. Maybe for some food, or simply getting lost, or wandering to far, for whatever reason. Would the shepard, after observing some sheep straying, simply kick these sheep further into danger. Would that shepard, literally THROW THOSE SHEEP TO THE WOLVES, simply for making an "error" of judgement, or getting lost? Of course not, that would be STUPID, in fact it would go against EVERYTHING it means to be a shepard. If the shepard did this, eventually it could have no more sheep, less and less would maybe even trust in the protection of that shepard. The shepards would eventually lose their flock.

So why would the Elders, the shepards of the flock, disfellowship someone, and essentially cut them off from the safety of the flock. How could a sheep survive, if when they "strayed" ,for whatever reason, they were "thrown to the wolves". When you DF someone, by the teachings of the organization themselves, you would be cutting them off from the "safety" of the shepards. In so many words, you are playing with their very lives, judging them to wander with the wolves.

Todays, trigger happy, disfellowshipping, judgmental Elders, are the exact OPPOSITE, of a good shepard. They, truly, make the worst possible type of shepard, as they are possible killers of their own flock.

Remember, "to those more is given, more is expected". Words that may bite them in their asses in the future.

• username
    username

It's just fluff the watchtower spew out. The real reason elders are there is to safeguard the org from any litigation, Unpaid, unqualified lawyers if you will. I had a "shepherding visit" one time and this elder told me that not only do they look after the welfare of the congregation, also they have to protect against lawsuits. At the time, I shrugged that comment off thinking that cannot happen often, not in gods clean organisation! Now, that is a comment that actually sticks with me because it does reflect the role they have in the congregation.

There are some who become elders blindly thinking he wants to help the flock, more often than not this type of person usually steps down due to disillusionment.Then there is the power crazy person who relishes lording it over the flock. These are the ones that never step down and more than likely the kind of elder you are describing.

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

@- Username- Its really not a description of a "type" of Elder. Its more describing the actions and climate of most elder bodies, and tactics, as a whole. The thousands of examples, right here on this site, are a testament to that.

It shows the hypocrasy of the WTS, and how they say the role of an Elder, is to shepard the flock, but a shepard would never use their tactics.

And in response to the Elders being there to protect against litigation, and being lawyers for the borg, most Elders i know, cant litigate themselves out of a fucking paper bag.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I remember the biggest bully on out boe used to say, 'we should be company men.'

That says it all!

They elders are not shepherds but tools of a vicious corporation that teaches more hate than love.

• username
    username
    @Dunedain, that is why they are instructed to call the legal department ;)
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

In all of my "active" years as a zealous J.W., the only persecution I ever experienced came via the bodies of elders within the congregations I was attending. On each occasion, I was vindicated - but not one elder apologised!

To become/remain an elder, a man has to become an agent working for the Org - not a shepherd of the flock.

Any decent men who become elders, subsequently abandon any Christian qualities/principles which are at odds with the Org's rules & regulations and could affect their glorified position and title.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Dunadane " The elders of the congregation make for the worst possible " sheppards"

The Rebel. I agree, but there are the odd exceptions. From my personal experience I can think of only one.

The Rebel.

• prologos
    prologos

Even in real live shepherds are there to maximise the profit for the owners. remember the sheep that got away and was recently recaptured and shorn in Australia? 80 kg of overgrown, second grade wool, a world record loss?

Have no illusions about what is discussed in the CO meetings; welfare of suffering individuals in the Cong, and how to really help?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I dunno.

Shepherds do eventually shear, butcher, and eat their sheep.

Seems pretty standard behavior to me.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Punk-of-Nice:

I have to agree. Most elders are "company" men and are viewing you through the lens of the religion as to whether you "measure up" regarding performance.

This is a religion all about "works" and getting time in and somebody like me who worked full-time at a secular job was on the shit list.

The situation can also be made worse if they have any bias against a person. Years ago, after realizing how bad I felt after shepherding calls, I knew something was wrong.

They'd never be allowed near me again, let alone in my house! I'm not interested in what they have to say about anything!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit