"Mankind's Search for God" book

by My Name is of No Consequence 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• inbetween
    inbetween

It was never studied at book study. The reason I know is, because when it came out, I really liked it and hoped for it to be studied, but we never did. And I was too lazy to study it myself anyway...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t think it was studied at the book study either. Parts of it were used in service meeting items which may explain why some copies have underlining and notes.

If the book was used at Gilead and used as evidence of a balanced religious education that makes sense. It was also part of the move away from the more belligerent engagements with other religions to a more ‘respectful’ disagreement.

In my memory some JWs were proud of the book and liked to use it in the ministry or to place in libraries or use with school teachers and so on because it has a more pleasant tone as well as a good layout and design. It was one of the last books to be published while they were still charging for the literature, so it was a quality haptic hardcover.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

slimboyfat I now think you are probably right that the book was used in some service meeting group discussions (f that is what you mean by "service meeting items") instead of in congregational book studies.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

It was my favourite book published by Watchtower. We didn't study it at the book study meeting, instead we got the Revelation book 3 times 😖

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If that Book is the one that gives a Thumbnail sketch of many religions, we did study it at the Tuesday group study, held in private homes. Prove me wrong.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

As I remember it was released with great self congratulation but never studied. Correct me if I'm wrong but it omitted Islam from the story. A promise was made at the time of release that a separate publication would be prepared on that subject, we are still waiting.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

No, I am sure that we never studied it in the Tuesday groups and I do not recall going through it at a Service Meeting, up until I stopped going around 2000.

No explanation was ever given although I recall that we all fancied studying it .

Incidentally, you can find it today still on the “ Watchtower On Line “ site both in the book list and the text of it is there. I could not find it from “search “ though…

[Edit.. There is a chapter on Islam]

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Mankind's Search for God book I dont think was ever studied in the book study.

Someone related one time that the pictures and artwork in there were too graphic and disturbing. But yeah, we did get the Revelation Climax book umteen times. The reason for that was ''there's so much information and we have go through it slower'". Onlly to have the Revelation book revised with an insert around 2006 then dumped not long after that.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

I remember there was lots of talk at Bethel as to why it was removed from publication and never studied from cover to cover. My memory tells me that we covered parts of it when we were offering brochures geared towards Hindus and Muslims maybe.

I recall some 'steadfast' ones at Bethel remarking that studying it would have been like force-feeding false doctrine to the congregation for over a year. That made me wonder why they produced it at all. The real story may simply be that it was a poorly conceived project, similar to some of the expensive 'cutting edge' equipment Bethel purchased but never used - now housed somewhere at the bottom of a landfill, next to the discarded Aid Books and Mankinds Search for God books.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

My memory is revived. We covered parts of it as material for TMS parts. I remember giving a part with material from the book. I was an MS at the time and the material was meatier than the usual rah rah rah - sis boom bah!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit