A few in military refuse to fight 'wrong war'

by Trauma_Hound 128 Replies latest members politics

• Simon
    Simon

dubla: I've noticed a propensity you have to pick up odd sentances and argue them in isolation from the points and arguments being made. You need to read the post as a whole to see the point I am making which is simple:

Peolpe claim that soldiers should follow orders and obey what they are told no matter what. That there is no space for personal decision or conscience.

I have shown that this is a dangerous and wrong stance to take. That the right thing to do is sometimes to disobey orders and that even the orders by "our good commanders" can be wrong and should be questioned.

• searcher
    searcher

Hm, I came in late so I only just saw this.

Utopian Reformist's post

She has a five month old infant, and no available family to take temporary custody while she deploys to the gulf

The Primary purpose of a soldier is to fight, it is the reason for thier existence, so why did two serving soldiers decide to have a baby? Did they have no intention of ever doing the job they signed a contract to do?

"Stop the War, I want to feed my baby"

Sheesh

searcher.

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

dubla: I've noticed a propensity you have to pick up odd sentances and argue them in isolation from the points and arguments being made.

ive noticed that you once again have completely ignored the main point ive made twice now, and will make again here.........

You need to read the post as a whole to see the point I am making which is simple:

Peolpe claim that soldiers should follow orders and obey what they are told no matter what.

its funny that you repeat this sentence again, as its the same "odd sentence" i "picked up and argued" against in my above post....not to mention i "argued" against this same point on a previous page. you keep repeating this point, and i keep repeating AD NAUSEUM, that NO ONE IS SAYING THIS. NO ONE IS SAYING THAT SOLDIERS SHOULD FOLLOW ORDERS "NO MATTER WHAT". maybe the caps will drive it home for you, or maybe youll simply ignore it again, and once again try to make your point which is still arguing with the wind, because, no one is claiming that!! and just to show how many times ive ALREADY made this clear, heres a little review for you............

pg4. simon:

... then only people who believed it was right to follow orders no matter what were Nazis

dublas response:

ah, more false implications. i havent seen any poster say that it is "right to follow orders no matter what". thats just the implication you are making, thus trying to make posters sound like nazis.

pg 6. simon:

The point is, anyone who believes that the Military will always do the right thing and should be obeyed no matter what

dublas response(s):

and again (this is a repeat), no one on this thread has said that.

no, your latest example only drives home a moot point you tried to make about following orders "no matter what"....and since not one poster has argued in favor of this "no matter what" mentality that you describe, its a completely useless argument on your part....

boy, i keep picking this one sentence out of context, dont i? oh wait, you just said it is indeed your main point! the main point that no one argues against, lol. maybe the wind will come up with a good rebuttal.

maybe you should, instead of ignoring them, go back and read some of rems responses, and youll get a better feel for what the opposition is actually saying on this thread. we arent saying soldiers should follow orders "no matter what", and AGAIN, no one is saying that. (maybe if i repeat it enough times in one post itll sink in). the one thing i was personally arguing is that the u.s. policy isnt inconsistent as far as telling iraqi soldiers to do something that we dont expect our soldiers to do, which was one of your past "main points", and rems comments clarified this fact even more, showing you the difference between an iraqi soldier and an american soldier. hopefully this helps clear things up....but i wont hold my breath, as you obviously have a propensity to ignore.

aa

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

heres another review for you, so you can get a feel for what everyone was really trying to say (which isnt "follow orders no matter what"!!.....one last repeat to make sure this time, lol)

teenyuck said:

Anyone who joins the military with the thought that they can pick and choose the battle they will attend needs an exam. Of their intelligence.

If they decide that they cannot be a part of a war they should be immediately discharged, forced to repay anything they received....

lb said:

No problem, be a coward if ya want. But maybe be willing to pay the government back all the wages you've earned along with the cost of your training.

sara annie said:

Absolutely. You cannot reap the benefit of a system that you willingly entered into service with.

heathen said:

I think if you volunteer for military service and refuse to follow orders you should be shot . I think the wrong thing they did in america was to make the military look like it is something for people to expect to simply go thru the motions and get money for colledge instead of being the killing machine it is.
    (note: maybe this is where you went off on your tangent, as heathen did say someone should be "shot" for not "following orders"....still didnt say that every order should be followed, but perhaps thats how you took it, and then ran with it. i still took heathens post as i took the rest of them, to mean that someone shouldnt expect a free ride and then refuse a tour of duty)
    rem said:
    Well, it does seem to be a breach of contract. If you default on the loan on your car or house, the bank gets to keep it - they don't have to give you back the money you already paid. So basically the answer is: yes, the fact that they pick and choose what they feel is moral invalidates all their previous service.

Nobody says it's an easy thing to stand up for your beliefs, but it's something an intelligent person would have thought about before signing up.

xenawarrior said:
    I don't think that people can join the military service and say- "Well, if you go to war here- I'm in but if you go over here, um, I don't think I can do that one. And I might even change my mind about any of this"

If you sign up for military service you sign up. And it is about following orders- pretty clear to anyone. If you sign up and go through basic training etc and then decide it's not for you, there are plenty of ways to get out.

(note: another post referring to "following orders", but still doesnt say every order should be followed)
    acutally, at this point, xander realized someone was talking about "following orders", and chimed in with:
    Ah, so if the US President (and, say, Congress) then ordered, say, Gen. T Franks to, after the Iraq war, come home and execute or imprison all US citizens who voiced dissent with the war, he would be wrong to disobey?
    here was the response:
    If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their asses.
    lol.......an extreme case scenario from xander, which got a sarcastic response, but xenawarrior showed, jokingly, that obviously not every order should be followed.
    heathen said (and heathen was where the "should be shot" comment came from, so pay attention here):
    IMO -- They have done every thing but mention summer camp . How about this -- The Navy ,it's not just a job it's an adventure. Army -- Be all you can be . Air force -- Aim high , and Marines -- A few good . People need to realize that when they admit themselves into the armed forces that they are being relied upon doing their job with out question. Tho I have heard that you are allowed to question orders if they are in contrast to the military code conduct.
    rem said:
    I never said I had a problem with someone refusing to engage in genocide or war crimes. If the US government ever gets to that point, I think haggling over past wages is the least of anyones worries!
    so, theres the first couple of pages of review, and these are the posters to which you would have to be referring to when you say, "peolpe claim that soldiers should follow orders and obey what they are told no matter what."
    hopefully this helps.
    aa
  • Realist
    Realist

dubla,

so who if not your own conscience should decide whether an order has to be followed or not?

• dubla
    dubla

realist-

ill give my personal opinion on the matter, which up to this point i havent really given. sandy summed it up pretty well with one of her last points:

They know what they are doing when they sign up. They know that war is controversial and not always justified.

When they sign up they know they may have to fight for an un-justified cause.

there have been numerous u.s. military conflicts that have been controversial...in fact, every conflict is controversial in some way, to somebody. therefore, when you join the military, you know what youre getting into.....and you might just have to fight when quite a few people disagree with what you are doing. can you take that on? will you personally agree with the reasons for the conflict when it arises? it should be a well-thought decision, not one made to simply get a "free ride", and then decide the current military conflict isnt for you. heres some intersting facts from the article:

About 500 servicemembers filed for conscientious objector status during the Persian Gulf War, according to the General Accounting Office, the investigative arm of Congress. Peace groups say as many as three times that number refused to fight, and many served prison sentences up to 18 months.

There have been conscientious objectors as long as there have been wars. In the Civil War, 4,000 soldiers whose religious beliefs prohibited killing for any reason served in unarmed positions. During World War II, 42,000 conscientious objectors refused to fight. Many went to prison, but 25,000 served in non-combat jobs, and 12,000 were placed in work camps. They volunteered to help in mental institutions and to serve in experiments on contracting pneumonia and the flu.

all these people joined the armed forces, and dedicated their lives to serving in the military for our country. all of them decided the fire was too hot once it was lit. were all these wars "unjust"? were they all "the wrong war"? for these people, they apparently were. the point is, again, know what you are getting into when you join. can people change their minds, or their conscience? sure, but as others have pointed out, then its time to pay back everything youve gained along the way. so, a simple answer to your question would be, yes, let your conscience alone be your guide. just let that conscience guide you from the beginning, not once its actually time to make a decision on picking up a gun for real.

aa

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

i am not an expert on the subject but don't people who sign up for the military actually work there? i assume they are not just sitting around and wait until a new war starts. so they would have to be able to keep the money they have earned while they were there.

about the civil war ...i guess it depends on which side you were on

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Realist:

Words mean things:

"..the great majority of people (including most experts i have heard) believe this war is illegal and the US is breaking international law. "

There you go again!

• dubla
    dubla

realist-

i am not an expert on the subject but don't people who sign up for the military actually work there?

some do some dont......i have a close friend in the reserves (whos actually in kuwait or iraq now, not sure which at this point), who doesnt "work" for the military at all. he goes and trains one weekend a month, and gets compensated financially, not to mention education aid and free training in a variety of areas.....all while carrying on his normal civilian job and life. when the time comes, which it did, hes called into action.

thats kind of a side point to the issues i was discussing though, isnt it? do you understand the main guts of what i was saying, about thinking this through thoroughly before hand, and realizing what it may or may not entail? do you agree or disagree with these points, and if you disagree, why? haggling over how much money should be repaid was never really the intent of anyone whos voiced an opinion here, i dont think.

aa

• Realist
    Realist

thichi,

Words mean things:

"..the great majority of people (including most experts i have heard) believe this war is illegal and the US is breaking international law. "

There you go again!

what are you talking about?

dubla,

yes i agree basically. i think some guys (or girls) think they go to the army to protect their country just to find out later that they were lied to. so i really can't blame them....but your point is of course valid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit