Is a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses marries a disfellowshipped person, what is the outcome?

by EdenOne 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Hello all.

I need a quick answer, and also a solid reference in the literature, please.

If a JW marries an unbeliever, there is reproof, it's frowned upon, it's disloyal, there will be loss of privileges, etc, but there's no other more serious consequences. But, in a scenario where two people are free to marry, but one is a baptized JW and the other is disfellowshipped / disassociated, what are the consequences?

Thanks for your help.

R.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Like you'd be DFd also. After all, just "eating with such" a person merits DFing if you are unrepentant.

YMMV because it really all falls in the hands of 3 elders. If you and your family are well liked, well off, etc are the things that greatly influence their decision.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

the df ray franz for association with his df employer...what does that tellyou? see book Crisis of Conscience

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I understand the reasons why Ray Franz was disfellowshipped.

I was just wondering if there was ever something written, black on white, in any literature of the WTBTS that marriage with a disfellowshipped person would result in disfellowshipping for the JW.

I can see how it can be inferred from "insisting on associating with disfellowshipped ones" can be interpreted in this way. Just wanted to know if it was ever expressely stated.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

yeah--i think it will be ok provided they dont eat together

( or each other )

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I don't think there is a specific written rule about it. When I was in, I would have considered that a DF offense, in that you are being pretty blatant about your disrepect of the organization. Today? I think it's dumb to DF people and shun them, so go ahead and get hitched. If they DF you, they're doing you a favor. Enjoy your freedom.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

It would be the same as a baptised person marrying someone not baptised. It actually happens a lot these days. The elders will tell them all the scriptures about only marriage in the lord and all that.

if they are good elders and they can see this person is so lonely and hasn’t been able to find anyone in the religion. If they are really in love and would be so much happier getting married to this person then I hope good elders would see the situation for what it is.

the old school bad elders would maybe try to threaten with marking or restricting answering up and things like that. But they now know those things don’t have any effect at all.

• DisgruntledFool
    DisgruntledFool

stan livedeath...you certainly have a way with words. One might even call you a cunning linguist.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

If the JW was "active" they would lose all privileges at a minimum and be grilled about premarital sex/contact.

If the couple had moved and was inactive...and on the down low....perhaps nothing.

If they were in the same town and well known...probably be Disfellowshipped as a "warning" to everyone in the area.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

if you are married and your mate gets df, the r/f treat you strange and shy away from you...what do you expect if you knowingly marry a df person...I think they would df you...( you could play dumb, like you thought you were marrying a worldly person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit