cleaning advice??? anyone can respond........seriously.
The smell is trapped in the filter. If you can change the filter, you'll be free of the odor.
Jack the microwave and get a real oven.
Mike, who doesn't eat "nuked" food.
Charcoal: try that for a bit.
If the above tips don't work let me know. We sell a product called Bioclean that is used for drain cleaning. It is bacteria that you mix with water and pour down the drains and the critters eat their way through the sludge in your pipes keeping them nice and clean and odor free.
Several years ago I washed a jar in the dishwasher that I had used to store minced garlic. It totally wasted the inside of the dishwasher. Obnoxious garlic smell every time the door was opened. I mixed up a solution of Bioclean, splashed it all over the interior and let it sit overnight. The garlic smell was gone by morning.
Should work for a catnippy microwave. If not, then I have to agree it's time for a new microwave!