Dominance, Control = Kingdom? .....NOT!

by jst2laws 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Norm
    Norm

Hi Jst2laws,
    You said:

“Now Jehovah is the Spirit; and where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom” 2 Corinthians 3:17

I see a common attitude in ex-Jw’s that I at one time would have said “see, that’s the way apostates are.” It is the mutual resentment of being controlled. Some might find this to be normal considering the abuse of authority most have survived. It could be an elevated sensitivity to being controlled that we always had and that’s why we are here. This can’t be all bad considering the first mention of the concept of human dominance in the Bible was in the context of suffering.(Gen. 3) While some submission is required by God, I have the feeling dominance of any sort was not what God wanted.

I think you have to come out and define what you understand to be freedom? I am extremely skeptic to the concept of “freedom” as it appears in the Bible.
    Neither Jesus nor Paul seemed to have any real idea about what freedom is. According to the Bible Jesus told us that we had to “believe” in him or else. If we don’t we do not deserve to exist. So his freedom is “do as I say or burn in hell forever.” Paul’s message isn’t much better.

Now merge this with the Kingdom of God issue. We Jw’s have been taught The kingdom of God is a government that deserves our submission because it will solve all mankind’s problems. When I came from the Baptist Church I liked the idea that the Kingdom is a Government because this is obviously what is needed. Who would not want a loving Authority to end suffering, war, poverty, sickness, even death. And Jesus, we are taught, demonstrated he could do all these things by the miracles. I still like this idea. What most of us here do not like is the oppressive control of the human organization that taught most of us these things.

History show us that the Christianity has made overwhelmingly more problems than it has ever solved. The Watchtower Society has adopted Jesus idea and given it their own slant, they say “join our organization or die.” The Watchtower Society is also an excellent representative of the fundamentalist branch of Christendom in the sense that they have been able to stamp “problems” out of thin air, and found problems where non have existed. To name a few examples. In Nordic pre-Christian culture, men and women were equals. In that culture it was customary for whole communities to build bath houses or saunas where the whole community were bathing together at least once a week. There was no shame connected to nakedness and no problems of a sexual nature connected with this arrangement. Of course this became a problem as soon as Christianity came. Much of the same things have happened everywhere Christian missionaries appeared.

But the ‘loving authority’, this Jesus Christ, was never linked with abuse of authority. He rarely ever exercised his authority, except over those who tried to control others. Thus dealing with the Pharisees, even demons, Jesus used his authority to stop abuse, but he himself came to be known as the man of tender mercy, love, and freedom. As the image of God he represented FREEDOM, NOT AUTHORITY.
    “YOU were, of course, called for freedom”. Galatians 5:13
    I now feel for some resenting authority may simply be a sensitivity to abuse of authority. Anytime our God given freedom is robbed from us or others this emotion is legitimate. I hope those who read this share my feeling that it is not God, the Bible, nor Jesus or the Kingdom that has hurt us, but MEN who abuse authority in the name of God, Jesus or the Kingdom. The Kingdom like the king of the kingdom will not abuse authority. If anything it will stop the abuse and teach freedom just as the King has done. Having accepted the old men in Brooklyn represent the reality of God’s Kingdom about as much as did the religious leaders of Jesus’ time, the idea of the kingdom no longer means to me government and control. I now think of the kingdom as a loving authority ending oppressive government and control.
    Jst2laws

As long as God and Jesus have basically just given us “freedom” to accept their reality or die/burn in hell, I fail to see that it has anything to do with anything remotely resembling freedom at all. It reminds me a lot about the “freedom” Jehovah's Witnesses have regarding the use of blood. They have the “freedom”
    not to use it.
    If we are to believe the Bible at all we have no reason to be much impressed with God or Jesus at all. Read these very interesting and legitimate concern’s of Bishop Spong, from his Book, “Rescuing the Bible from the fundamentalists”:

“There are passages in the Gospels that portray Jesus of Nazareth as narrowminded, vindictive, and even hypocritical. Jesus exhorted people to love their enemies and to pray for their persecutors (Matt. 5:44) and never to call others by demeaning or hurtful names (Matt. 5:22), yet he called his enemies a "brood of snakes" (Matt. 12:34), "sons of vipers" (Matt. 23:33), "blind fools" (Matt. 23:17). He called gentiles "dogs" (Matt. 15:26). He said he had come to set a man against his father and a daughter against her mother (Matt. 10:35). He disowned his own family (Matt. 12:4650), hardly obeying the commandment to "honour your parents." These do not appear to be the words of one dedicated to preserving and strengthening the family, as the fundamentalist preachers have constantly asserted.

Are we drawn to a Lord who would destroy a herd of pigs and presumably a person's livelihood in order to exorcise a demon (Mark 5:13)? Are we impressed when the one we call Lord curses a fig tree because it did not bear fruit out of season (Matt. 21:18, 19)? How divine is the message that says for your finite failings you will be cast into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matt. 25:30)? If the Bible is read literally, it must be said that Jesus seems to have accepted without question the language of hell employed by his religious contemporaries. Is eternal punishment the plan of the all merciful God? Was Jesus mistaken? Was the interpretation of Jesus given in these passages, which come primarily from Matthew, untrustworthy?

No matter how this question is resolved, the literal authority of the Gospels is compromised. Was belief in hell so common that Jesus simply reflected the values of his time unquestioningly? Hardly, since the Sadducees did not believe in any life after death, either as a reward or punishment. We know only that someone was convinced that Jesus did believe and teach that eternal punishment in a fiery hell was an appropriate sentence to pronounce on sinners. Is it? I for one do not believe it. Am I false to Jesus? False to Jesus' interpreters? False to God? I pray not!

Jesus is also depicted, especially in the Book of John, as being guilty of what we today would surely call anti-Semitism. Indeed, the hatred of the Jews that has been the dark underside of Christianity for two thousand years is fed by the pejorative attitudes found in the Christian Scriptures and even in the supposed words of Jesus. It has led to pogroms, ghettos, segregated housing and clubs, defaced synagogues, Krystallnacht, and Dachau. In the name of Jesus, damnation has been pronounced on those who do not accept Jesus' messiahship a charge leveled historically by Christians at the Jews. "His blood be upon us and upon our children," Matthew had the Jewish crowd say when Pilate sought to set Jesus free. From this phrase of Holy Writ the epithet "Christ killer" (Matt. 27:25) has been leveled at Jewish people ever since.

When John used the phrase "The Jews" (John 5:10; 10:19, 24, 31, 33; 19:7, 12, 14, 15) instead of "the Jewish leaders," he fed that corporate guilt that bloomed as bigotry and prejudice. John said that the Jewish people loved darkness more than light, for their deeds were evil (John 3:18 20), and he said the Jews were children of the devil, who was the father of lies (John 8:39 44). These words are hardly designed to build mutual respect. They are, to me, repugnant. Yet they are part of the Bible that many Christians even today ask me to take literally.

Paul added to this fuel by suggesting that Jews were possessed with "a spirit of stupor" that produced "eyes that should not see and ears that should not hear down to this very day" (Rom. 11:8). Finally, the history of the church from Tertullian and John Chrysostom to Jerome to Augustine to Aquinas to Luther to this generation has reflected a killing anti-Semitism that was rooted in the New Testament. Can a book responsible for these things be in any literal sense the Word of God to me? If Jesus was wrong in fact or in attitude, either Jesus himself or Jesus as viewed through Scripture has been compromised. Yet Jesus is presented in the Bible as believing that epilepsy is caused by demon possession (Mark 9:14 29). That is hardly a viewpoint that any of us would share today. He is portrayed as accepting the assumption that deaf muteness results from the tying of the tongue by Satan (Matt. 9:32, 33; 12:22, Luke 11:14). A spirit of infirmity was said by Jesus to result from Satan's binding (Luke 13:11, 16). He seems to have accepted the Davidic authorship of the Psalms (Mark 12:36; Luke 20:42), an attitude and concept quickly dismissed in the circles of biblical scholarship today. Jesus also seems to have accepted the theory of Mosaic authorship of the Torah (Mark 7:10; 10:3; Luke 5:14).

Yet in the Torah there are two creation stories that vary in detail and contradict each other in order (Gen. 1:1 2:4 and Gen. 2:5fo. These stories cannot be harmonized. Poor Moses contradicted himself radically in the first two chapters of the Torah. He also seemed not to know the nationality of the people to whom Joseph's brothers sold Joseph, who took him down to Egypt. In one version it was the Ishmaelites (Gen. 37:25), and in another version it was the Midianites (Gen. 37:28). They are not the same. Moses, as a single author, seems to have been quite confused.
    If this were not enough, there are three separate and distinct versions of the Ten Commandments in the Torah that cannot be reconciled (Exodus 20, Exodus 34, and Deuteronomy 5). God was portrayed, if one seeks to maintain a literalism about Holy Scripture, as terribly inept. He (and it was he) could not even get the essence of the divine law clear. In the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, God was portrayed as not knowing what was going on in those two cities, so he had to send divine messengers to bring him a report. This is hardly a portrait of divine omniscience.
    If one doesn't read the Bible constantly, these issues can be ignored lost in ignorance.”

The Bible is an extremely unreliable source to use when it comes to freedom, moral and authority. Tales of atrocities and horror written by people steeped in the superstition they portray in the Bible are very poor guides to a better life. Mankind was slowly able to wrestle out of the stranglehold of Christendom by enlightenment and science, while fighting against a Church that wanted to kill all knowledge. Democracy, freedom and the way of life we enjoy today was opposed every inch by Christians and it still is in many parts of the world.

Norm.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Norm,
    Thank you for your thoughts. As I explained in the past to Farkel I am not experience enough, young enough nor smart enough to respond line for line. I’m more into concepts then obsessing over technicalities. But admittedly technicalities are the foundation of concepts so I will try to address some of your issues.

”I think you have to come out and define what you understand to be freedom? I am extremely skeptic to the concept of “freedom” as it appears in the Bible.
    Neither Jesus nor Paul seemed to have any real idea about what freedom is”.

Total freedom. Please do not judge me are my comments on the basis of what Christendom has said or done, nor by what the WT teaches. Neither of us go along with that. However, the freedom Jesus and Paul spoke of may have been different issues. Paul’s message was vital but limited to freedom from guilt and works of self justification, but in Hebrews he touched on the bigger issues of total freedom.

“According to the Bible Jesus told us that we had to “believe” in him or else. If we don’t we do not deserve to exist. So his freedom is “do as I say or burn in hell forever.” Paul’s message isn’t much better.”

Agreed, belief in him is necessary. Is this an infringement of freedom? What man is not dying. So here is someone saying reach out to me and I will pull you out of this. Are we going to resent his offer and complain he is telling us what to do?

As for “do as I say or burn in hell forever” respectfully Norm, I don’t see that in the Bible. I quoted earlier Mat 11:29 where Jesus implores us to accept relief. He agrees religion has oppressed us and offers “refreshment”.

“History show us that the Christianity has made overwhelmingly more problems than it has ever solved. The Watchtower Society has adopted Jesus idea and given it their own slant, they say “join our organization or die.” The Watchtower Society is also an excellent representative of the fundamentalist branch of Christendom in the sense that they have been able to stamp “problems” out of thin air, and found problems where non have existed”

We agree again. Although I have not separated myself from them I would not be here if I wanted to defend them. In an above post to Mommy I said, “they have made up a hierarchy that make the Pharisees look like passive liberals.”
    The issues are what the Bible really says about freedom and how Jesus will bring this, not how abusers of authority have misrepresented it.

This is where I disagree with much of what Bishop Spong had to say.

His frequent references to Jesus belief in fiery Hell and torment is I believe a concept unsupported in scripture. I admit I’m relatively knew at looking at the scriptures with open eyes but it seems Biship Spong is arguing against flawed theology of Christendom rather than a flaw man. The teachings and the actions of professed Christians done in the name of Christ are not an indictment of Jesus but again an indictment of those who abuse authority in the name of God or Jesus.

If we take any man or work and pick at it we will find what appear to be flaws and contradictions. Bishop Spong will find flaws, another such as Gandhi will praise him. To kill a tree, destroy a herd of pigs for one mans freedom or finally in the last week of his life condemn his enemies knowing they are plotting to kill him does not destroy the substance of what he taught in my mind.

:“The Bible is an extremely unreliable source to use when it comes to freedom, moral and authority. Tales of atrocities and horror written by people steeped in the superstition they portray in the Bible are very poor guides to a better life. Mankind was slowly able to wrestle out of the stranglehold of Christendom by enlightenment and science, while fighting against a Church that wanted to kill all knowledge. Democracy, freedom and the way of life we enjoy today was opposed every inch by Christians and it still is in many parts of the world.”

Agree with all but first line, “The Bible is an extremely unreliable source to use when it comes to freedom, moral and authority”. The Hebrew scriptures is a discussion of its own. Nearly everything contained there is a model of what God does not want. Granted, if the accounts are historical, God authorized, even demanded a lot of disturbing behavior. But as to freedom, God let man choose his course and now it was a mess. Everything he did with the Jews was a drama of how not to find freedom from guilt, oppression and death. No wonder Jesus was so opposed when he came with an entirely different message. He was the Reality that their bloody history pointed to. All that experience was a “shadow” of what God really had in mind. (Col. 2:17) It was so radically different from what you and I object to that the people of his time feared his teaching and killed him.

Now I’m exhausted. You got more out of me than I have available. I hope I was clear and inoffensive in my explanation. I may appear as a hopeless bible thumper to you but I believe God is Love as He claims and all the things you and I find unsettling is much more than that to him. The mess we are in He could have prevented but only at the cost of our FREEDOM. At least we seem to share a disdain for religionist who use fear, ignorance and their pretence of authority over us to control and harm people. We may only differ on who is responsible.

Jst2laws

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    The mess we are in He could have prevented but only at the cost of our FREEDOM

Funny, I can't help but think that is the one area of "freedom" that most of us, lovers of freedom one and all, would at any time be quite willing to give up.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

SixofNine

Quote:
    “Funny, I can't help but think that is the one area of "freedom" that most of us, lovers of freedom one and all, would at any time be quite willing to give up.”

I understand, and wish it was different. I am not going to pretend to understand everything as our beloved Borg does. If anyone can add a reasonable explanation to help us understand why this was the only way for God to fix things we would all welcome it. All I can say at this point in my growth is that He knew he made us with a conscience and a sense of justice. That’s why we have problems with guilt and why we get baptized into Christ for a good conscience.(1 pet. 3:21)

God could have said, ‘OK, you are flaw but I am going to restore you. I will take a pigeon in exchange for you, a soul for a soul.’ What if he knew that would not satisfy our conscience, our sense of justice? Then we would still have a problem with our conscience. I fear our conscience is a key factor in all of this. Mankind started sacrificing things and animals out of OUR need, not from a command of God. Cultures that have nearly no rules to break seem to be healthier mentally. Could this be because with few rules there is little wrongdoing for which to feel bad about ourselves? I think fewer rules is good. No wonder we started out, according to the bible with no rules but one, and the bible says we will end up with one basic rule:

“For the entire Law stands fulfilled in one saying, namely: “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:14

But we have to get past our own conscience first, our sense of inadequacy with God. Paul calls this “justification” or being right with God. He gives it to us freely, and all we need is faith in the price paid by Jesus:

“Therefore, now that we have been declared righteous as a result of faith, let us enjoy peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” Romans 5:1

So I’m suggesting, only suggesting and looking for more from you, that God could have and would have handled us differently but was working with our own needs and limitations. It would be hard to live by that ‘law of love’ if we were constantly guilt stricken. It appears we only need to patiently wait till it is God’s time to bring this terrible drama to an end, apply the ransom, give us a good conscience and just standing before him and each other, then make right all the damage done in the past. And I agree, THIS REQUIRES FAITH!

Sorry if I sound preachy. Just sharing from my heart. Your turn to share if you like.

Jst2laws

• Norm
    Norm

Hi again Jst2laws,

Norm,
    Thank you for your thoughts. As I explained in the past to Farkel I am not experience enough, young enough nor smart enough to respond line for line. I’m more into concepts then obsessing over technicalities. But admittedly technicalities are the foundation of concepts so I will try to address some of your issues.

The question of the Bible’s credibility as a guide on how to live our lives seem to me far more than a mere technicality. As literature I find the Bible interesting and fascinating. As the “word of God” it is nothing but a thorough disaster. A disaster for God, if he exist, and an even greater disaster for the believer. It is quite a juggling act to make any sense out of the contradictory mess.

Total freedom. Please do not judge me are my comments on the basis of what Christendom has said or done, nor by what the WT teaches. Neither of us go along with that. However, the freedom Jesus and Paul spoke of may have been different issues. Paul’s message was vital but limited to freedom from guilt and works of self justification, but in Hebrews he touched on the bigger issues of total freedom.

Total freedom is in my opinion very much an illusion just like everlasting life. I am not judging you on anything, I am merely commenting on your comments, we are simply having a debate. It do however seem to me that you, like Christendom and the Watchtower Society are under the impression that the Bible contains some kind of information that is somehow valuable to us. I understand that you disagree with both the Watchtower Society and Christendom. As you know there are several thousand sects within the Christian camp which all have their personal “take” on the Bible, maybe that should tell us something?

Agreed, belief in him is necessary. Is this an infringement of freedom? What man is not dying. So here is someone saying reach out to me and I will pull you out of this. Are we going to resent his offer and complain he is telling us what to do?

As we can observe all living things die and are entering the cycle of decay and are re-circulated by the ecological system, all quite natural. That human beings live on after death or will get resurrected is of course neither here no there even though some old book written thousands of years ago make such claims. That some “believe” this doesn’t make it so. If Jesus really have such tremendous unselfish “unconditional” love for mankind he wouldn’t have to require any faith from us. If you sit down and really think about the concept of the old prune “Jesus died for us” it doesn’t make any sense at all. Nothing much of the whole matter makes much sense.

As for “do as I say or burn in hell forever” respectfully Norm, I don’t see that in the Bible. I quoted earlier Mat 11:29 where Jesus implores us to accept relief. He agrees religion has oppressed us and offers “refreshment”.

Of course, like any other believer in the Bible you pick and choose what to believe or not. I don’t mean this as any criticism, it is quite understandable, that’s the only way anyone can make something resembling sense out of the mess, to overlook some texts and use some other. You don’t like the texts about Hell so you dismiss them offhand. The only difference between us is that I dismiss it all.

We agree again. Although I have not separated myself from them I would not be here if I wanted to defend them. In an above post to Mommy I said, “they have made up a hierarchy that make the Pharisees look like passive liberals.”
    The issues are what the Bible really says about freedom and how Jesus will bring this, not how abusers of authority have misrepresented it.

If Jesus has ever lived, he died many years ago as you know. That was the end of him, and he won’t do anything ever again like all the other millions of dead people, it is all a fantasy, snap out of it.

This is where I disagree with much of what Bishop Spong had to say.

His frequent references to Jesus belief in fiery Hell and torment is I believe a concept unsupported in scripture. I admit I’m relatively knew at looking at the scriptures with open eyes but it seems Biship Spong is arguing against flawed theology of Christendom rather than a flaw man. The teachings and the actions of professed Christians done in the name of Christ are not an indictment of Jesus but again an indictment of those who abuse authority in the name of God or Jesus.

Spong is of course a very educated man and is able to read the texts in their original languages. He is refreshingly honest about the problems with the scriptures. Spong is well aware of the various denominations theology but as you can see he isn’t addressing theology he is addressing certain texts in the very Bible, texts which he give the exact chapter and verse so you can look it up yourself. Surely you aren’t implying that those texts about hell isn’t to be found in the Bible, are you? Spong isn’t addressing flawed men, he is addressing what the Bible claim Jesus have said, do you believe in the Bible?

If we take any man or work and pick at it we will find what appear to be flaws and contradictions. Bishop Spong will find flaws, another such as Gandhi will praise him. To kill a tree, destroy a herd of pigs for one mans freedom or finally in the last week of his life condemn his enemies knowing they are plotting to kill him does not destroy the substance of what he taught in my mind.

What do you mean here? Are you saying that the Bible is the work of men? If so I very much agree with you. Are you saying that the man the Bible call Jesus was flawed? If we take the Bible at face value and that Jesus said and did the things that is recorded there, he was indeed flawed. So which is it? Is the Bible flawed, can it be trusted in what it claims about Jesus? Or is only the nice things about Jesus correct and the other texts false?

Agree with all but first line, “The Bible is an extremely unreliable source to use when it comes to freedom, moral and authority”. The Hebrew scriptures is a discussion of its own. Nearly everything contained there is a model of what God does not want. Granted, if the accounts are historical, God authorized, even demanded a lot of disturbing behavior. But as to freedom, God let man choose his course and now it was a mess. Everything he did with the Jews was a drama of how not to find freedom from guilt, oppression and death. No wonder Jesus was so opposed when he came with an entirely different message. He was the Reality that their bloody history pointed to. All that experience was a “shadow” of what God really had in mind. (Col. 2:17) It was so radically different from what you and I object to that the people of his time feared his teaching and killed him.

Well, as Spong pointed out the Bible show that Jesus was apparently thinking highly of the “Hebrew scriptures”. The rest of what you write above seem to be slightly edited Watchtower material and appear to be thoroughly confused, at least to me.

Now I’m exhausted. You got more out of me than I have available. I hope I was clear and inoffensive in my explanation. I may appear as a hopeless bible thumper to you but I believe God is Love as He claims and all the things you and I find unsettling is much more than that to him. The mess we are in He could have prevented but only at the cost of our FREEDOM. At least we seem to share a disdain for religionist who use fear, ignorance and their pretence of authority over us to control and harm people. We may only differ on who is responsible.

Jst2laws

I am sorry that it is such a drain on you. You are obviously a very nice man and I wish you all the best in life whatever you choose to make of it. I do not think you are a hopeless Bible thumper, but I think I might recognize the natural confusion we all suffer when we get our whole carefully constructed Watchtower house of cards blown away. It is a grueling task to make sense out of a lot of things after that. Don’t worry, eventually you will, take your time, make the mistakes you need to, and don’t be afraid of us, we will be here to help you.

There may be a God or something out there somewhere, but hopefully he haven’t got anything to do with the homicidal maniac portrayed in the Bible. If there is a God love isn’t a very noticeable quality in him/her anyway. Your claim that if God should have prevented the mess we are in would somehow be an infringement on our free will is totally bogus and not something you have been thinking through.
    But it is late and we can come back to that later,

Take care,

Norm.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Norm,

Although we are on differing sides in this debate you have been thoughtful. Years ago I enjoyed intense debates. Strange thing is the debates were at Bethel on matters that would now get me DF’d. But I have changed and now prefer calm mutual sharing of thoughts. So please forgive me if I disappoint you with my none line-by-line response.

At this point I would like to focus on the fact that we are apparently both on the same cause. Is it not true that we are in favor of freeing victims from the oppressive control of organized religion? If so perhaps we should save our energy (mine is limited) for that cause. I understand I may sometimes sound like an evangelist and that must raise flags. But my focus as you see from these posts is freedom, not control. I suppose it is very unusual for anyone to express his views on the Bible without eventually becoming dogmatic, but if I succumb to this error at least I will become dogmatic for freedom.

As to the shortfalls of the Bible, I am not going to be dogmatic about that either. As I am not into absolutes of any kind, I do not feel God is into them either. It appears to me that the Hebrew scripture drama was in part a lesson from God in the inadequacy of law, legalism, and dogmatism. Then Jesus came as God’s rep. ending this drama teaching no laws, love and tolerance. The controlling religionist refused to learn the lesson and killed him. I’m sorry but I still see Jesus as the Greatest Teacher and I love the lesson.

But if the lesson is tolerance, love and freedom who would object except those into controlling others. This does not seem to be the case with either of us. But I recognize I have recently begun this journey and have a lot of growing to do. I appreciated most your comments:

“I think I might recognize the natural confusion we all suffer when we get our whole carefully constructed Watchtower house of cards blown away. It is a grueling task to make sense out of a lot of things after that. Don’t worry, eventually you will, take your time, make the mistakes you need to, and don’t be afraid of us, we will be here to help you.”

Thanks

Jst2laws

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    . As I am not into absolutes of any kind, I do not feel God is into them either.

And so goes God.

Not to be flippant, but isn't that just about at the crux of all matters pertaining to all peoples' view of God? A reflection of either their own ideas on what is GG*, or of ideas they have bought into (often at great expense).

*GG: Grandiose n' Good

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

SixofNine

That is just the point, “all people’s view of God” has been molded by controlling religionist, has it not?
    I know we could argue a few scriptures such ‘we must be perfect just as He is perfect’ yet the Hebrew and Greek words translated simply mean “complete”, not absolute. Complete and meeting a purpose is attainable without obsessing of matters.

Your phrase “Grandiose in Good” I like because Goodness is identified as superior to even “righteousness” in the Bible.(Rom 5:6) If we get back to basics maybe we can reject all we have ‘bought into’ and see God is not so unattainable.

Btw, SixofNine, you responded faster than I could get back to the page and see if the post had registered!. How do you do it?

Jst2laws

• Norm
    Norm

It’s me again, Jst2laws

You said:

Norm,

Although we are on differing sides in this debate you have been thoughtful. Years ago I enjoyed intense debates. Strange thing is the debates were at Bethel on matters that would now get me DF’d. But I have changed and now prefer calm mutual sharing of thoughts. So please forgive me if I disappoint you with my none line-by-line response.

Calm mutual sharing of thoughts is the stuff debates are made of, that way we can learn from each other as well as test our thoughts and ideas.

At this point I would like to focus on the fact that we are apparently both on the same cause. Is it not true that we are in favor of freeing victims from the oppressive control of organized religion? If so perhaps we should save our energy (mine is limited) for that cause. I understand I may sometimes sound like an evangelist and that must raise flags. But my focus as you see from these posts is freedom, not control. I suppose it is very unusual for anyone to express his views on the Bible without eventually becoming dogmatic, but if I succumb to this error at least I will become dogmatic for freedom.

My “cause” regarding the Watchtower Society is providing well documented information about them. I am not in the habit of pressing that information on people who don’t want it. If someone really want to become or remain a Jehovah's Witness It is simply none of my business. Being under the influence of superstition and old fairy tales is simply very oppressing to the mind although it might be very appealing to your emotions. The idea of a loving father in the heavens that will put everything right some day is emotionally appealing, but of course totally without any merit. The Bible’s message, confusing and contradictory as it is, is not about any real freedom.
    Freedom is also about freedom of thought and as long as only one kind of thought is correct, there is no freedom. If you don’t understand that you need to think long and hard about what freedom really is. If our life and future well being depends on how gullible we are in “accepting” Jesus, then no real freedom exist, that’s very simple.

As to the shortfalls of the Bible, I am not going to be dogmatic about that either. As I am not into absolutes of any kind, I do not feel God is into them either. It appears to me that the Hebrew scripture drama was in part a lesson from God in the inadequacy of law, legalism, and dogmatism. Then Jesus came as God’s rep. ending this drama teaching no laws, love and tolerance. The controlling religionist refused to learn the lesson and killed him. I’m sorry but I still see Jesus as the Greatest Teacher and I love the lesson.

Again God and Jesus seem to be very absolute in the one thing that matters, “believe” in me or you will have no future, now that’s as absolute as it can get my friend. What you feel isn’t quite relevant here. Again, what Jesus message boils down to is very excluding and intolerant, and there is no way you can get out of that and still remain a believer in the Bible. You might be able to create some kind of make believe Jesus in your mind but that isn’t the Jesus the Bible tell us about, sooner or later you have to deal with that or continue to dwell in a Watchtower like twilight zone, this time made up of your own illusions instead of the Brooklyn brand.

But if the lesson is tolerance, love and freedom who would object except those into controlling others. This does not seem to be the case with either of us. But I recognize I have recently begun this journey and have a lot of growing to do.

Like the Watchtower Society who preach love tolerance and freedom as long as you blindly believe exactly what they tell you, no matter how stupid and contradictory it is, the Bible’s message is basically the same, you can enjoy freedom tolerance and love only if you accept Jesus. Everyone who don’t accept that is excluded, they do not deserve to exist. The religion promoted by the Bible comes with it’s own built in intolerance and discrimination. It’s very tragic history with missionaries has demonstrated this in abundance.

If you belong to a religion that see the need to convert people of other religions to itself you have a religion with no respect or tolerance towards others no matter how much it pay lip service to such ideas. Freedom, tolerance and love is a result of enlightened humanism, Christianities mortal enemy. I recommend that you read Steve Allen’s book: “On the Bible, religion, & Morality” it is very light and entertaining but give you a good idea about a lot of things you actually need to know and think about.

Take care,

Norm.

• terraly
    terraly

Hey Norm,

I enjoy your posts a great deal, nonetheless, I feel there is an aspect of Christian freedom which you are failing to see.

Now I can't prove that the Christian God exists- if I could I would write a book and be famous. Likewise, no one has come up with a sure-fire disproof of God. That's why the safe money is, and always will be, on agnosticism.

But for those who believe, for whatever crazy, whacked-out reason, there is freedom in the Christian way of life. Once again, I cannot say whether this is anything more than delusional, wishful thinking, but consider:

Freedom from death. The WT is good at keeping it's followers from being free this way- there's never any certainty that you'll live forever- and even if you do make it through the first thousand years you might be zapped at the end. But I think this is a great perversion of the Bible- which offers a fairly simple promise; believe and you will live. Now, not everyone is afraid of death, but at some level most people are- and not just because of religion. A belief which frees you from this fear is liberating.

Freedom from guilt: Another biggie the WT hopes it's members don't get to experience, but the message of Christianity is that all those things you feel guilty about are washed out, and completely forgotten. I remember once I experienced this out-of-the-blue, nothing-I-did-to-deserve it kind of forgiveness from another human (the director of a play I was in), and it's a feeling like none other. Christians can have that same feeling every time they ask for forgiveness.

Now I know you will retort that guilt derives from the church making us feel guilty, but I disagree. Some of it, yes, but not a lot of the worst things. When you hurt another person, especially a person you love, it's more than guilt-tripping by society that makes you feel bad, it's genuine sorrow and guilt. In some cases apologizing to the person you hurt can make it better, but what if you kill someone, even by accident? Apologize to their family and friends of course, but even if they are the most loving and forgiving people in the world I bet you'll still feel terrible about it. How can you absolve yourself of this guilt, which may stay with you long past what is "healthy"? Well, you could try imagining you're talking to some old guy in the sky and he tells you that it's ok, that you don't have to be guilty anymore because he controls the whole universe and he's personally forgiving you

Freedom from fear: I know you dislike a lot of the things Christianity has done of the years (who wouldn't?), but there certainly have been courageous Christians, true saints like Mother Theresa, who have been willing to work in dangerous situations because they believe God will take care of them. A foolish belief? Perhaps, but one that sometimes helps the world. Is Christianity the sole source of freedom from fear? Of course not, there are many wonderful non-Christians who have done similar things for a variety of reasons- but Christianity has been one of these many reasons.

There, if you will, is a heuristic defense of the Christian faith. It may not be the best- but I find that it is a liberating, freeing life-style. Your mileage may vary...

t.
    Use as directed, void where prohibited, prices may vary in Hawaii, Alaska, and Peurto Rico.

edited for failure to properly close italics

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit