Would it be better to have a halt to war topics ?

by Simon 49 Replies latest forum announcements

• teejay
    teejay

So... can we talk about the war or not? If you've been clear on this, Simon, I missed it.

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

well, i can honestly say i missed that comment. there are probably more of these types of accusations ive missed as well, which is why i was asking for links.

I notice you'd already commented on this very topic on that thread.

yes i did, and explained my comments there as i have here. i honestly believe that a lot of good will come of the war, and most of the antiwar posters refuse to admit it for fear of looking like a supporter. now you have admitted it finally, so bravo!

aa

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Well since it's my quote you've used, I'll guess I'll respond. But it'll have to be when I get home later. I don't have time at work at the moment.

Expatbrit

• Simon
    Simon

I only used that as an example of the general line of some or the arguments.

I hope I've pointed out that this sort of thing has been done by people from both viewpoints so I'm not really trying to make an issue out of it.

• teejay
    teejay
    I do not believe that "no good" can come of this war - I'm sure there are people, for instance, that would be better off 'removed'. It will be a good job if we can kill the killers without killing more victims while we do it.
    ... while some good may be done, there is a massive potential for an incredible amount of harm, not least of which is serious damage to the USA in image, military power and the economy. -- Simon

Count me as another "anti-war" devotee that believes that *some* good will be done by the military action in Iraq, although said benefits will not come to the majority and not for a while.

The potential of serious and long-lasting damage to the U.S.'s image, while very realy, is only the beginning of America's problems. IMO, it's nothing compared to the true anti-American feelings that the war will undoubtedly provoke - in the Muslim world and in 'old' Europe. Compared to the so-called (and relatively benign) anti-American comments made here on this db, the ACTS of America's true enemies -- brought on in large part by this war and America's continually kowtowing to the will and wishes of Israel -- will make the comments made on this board look like taunts of kindergarteners.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

While strong opinions make for vigorous debate they are just opinions and have little if any influence on this war, its agendas or its outcome. Perhaps if we all remembered this we would appear to be less interested in winning arguments and more interested in examining other viewpoints with a more open mind and surely this is the only benefit that might come from these threads.

The problem is that when we take a challenge to our viewpoints personally it has the effect of entrenching us even further in our views, perhaps driving us toward the path of an extremity than we really never intended to visit. In the final event, who really cares what we believe or have to say about the matter?

The endless repetition of the same arguments by the same people is a bit wearing, perhaps a declaration of our views once and for all time might not go amiss, then we could all get back discussing important things like, do the Governing Body wear braces to stop themselves falling over, or was a pterodactyl with stomach problems the designer of the first 'Bunker Bomb'? - here we go again, back to war....lol

HS

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, the real danger is the damaged relationships with China, Korea, Russia as well as increased suspicion and lack of trust / cooperation from 'friendly' countries such as Europe. I think this includes the UK as if things go wrong then we could have a change of government who may not be as keen on such close ties with America

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Simon:

You got me thinking about the last days of the Roman Empire. Even though certain emperors paid tribute to various barbarian tribes, the barbarians later invaded anyway. I think american society is heading in a similar direction. North Korea frightens the west with possible nuclear war, and the US responds with promises of aid.

It's turned into blackmail. Soon, rogues will spring up everywhere seeking to blackmail the west in return for money. Eventually, the west will have to refuse and some rogue will act on the threat. Eventually, the US will have to fade away like all the other empries did in the past. It's just a matter of time.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Utopian,

I can see from your many posts on this topic where your views are "at". How's about helping folk who are still bound by the Borg to see the truth about "The Troof"? There are many who will argue endlessly about the war, one way or t'other, but in the end it will prove nothing as far as beliefs, and really that's what this forum's for. N'est-ce pas?

BTW can't you use a smaller font?

Cheers, Ozzie

• teejay
    teejay

>> Eventually, the US will have to fade away like all the other empries did in the past. It's just a matter of time.

Are you trying to say that history repeats itself? Oh my. What a concept.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit