Would it be better to have a halt to war topics ?

by Simon 49 Replies latest forum announcements

• Angharad
    Angharad

I agree Englishman re maybe uping the moderation of the war threads.

But we have the problem that if someone just make a direct insult and attack eg - "you're a ****" its very clear cut and should be removed, but I personally find the comments saying "you're anti-war = you support child torture etc... and you want all our troops to die" equally if not more offensive, what do we do with these? Because if they are removed there will be screams of censorship accross the board.

I think EVERYBODY needs to just tone things down and respect other people's opinion, and not try in impute wrong motives or feeling as a cheap way for trying to re-enforce their own arguement or opinion. Whether the war should be happening or not has been debated to death and everyone has made the points and it happening now whether we like it or not. I think we should be hoping for as few casualties as possible on both sides and that it's over quickly.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Sad to say Simon, the War topics, seem to create WARS on the forum, unfortunately.

I believe that people pro-war/pro-peace have had their opportunities to express their passions regarding recent/present events.

There are countless forums, aside from this one, where we can discuss (argue) the differences in opinion re: (War on Iraq).

I was not surprised that members expressed themselves (for/against) - it was to be expected. But then I've sadly noticed that the rhetoric was getting a bit over the top, and the battle of semantics was not solving disputes nor convincing either side. Not even agreeing to disagree. <Rayzorblade sighs deeply>

The folks in Brooklyn, must love this.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Angharad,

I think you are saying that you dislike the way that people make a blanket assumption about all your other beliefs if you agree / disagree with the war?

I must agree it tits' me off too!

Englishman.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Yes the blanket statements are insulting on both sides.

This is the way I see things, I think I'm stating the obviousbut others may disagree:

• Criticizing the US/UK govenments does not automatically make you anti-american / brit and that you hate american / british people

• Being anti-war does not mean you support Sadam or his regime. Maybe just that all other avenues should have been exhausted first.
    • Being pro-war does not mean you wish people to die just that you feel something needs to be done now and not later.
    • Being anti-war does not mean you don’t wish the troops well and hope they return safely or are ungrateful for the sacrifices and risks they make.
    • Having a difference of opinion does not make the other side stupid / ungrateful and mean that friendships should be lost.
    • Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it agrees with yours or not.
  • Prisca
    Prisca
    Unfortunately, it seems that people are unable or unwilling to debate or discuss the war and stay civil. People are accused of all sorts of extremes such as "advocating child torture and rape" if you are against the war or "being a mass murderer and war criminal" if you support it.

Some people seem to want to be able to post anything they want and it be accepted verbatim while other people are denied an opinion that doesn't agree with theirs.

I for one am sick of it and I suspect that other people are too.

Agreed.

not a blow-bly-blow account of the war as news dribbles out. This war is likely to go on for weeks or months, maybe even longer and there a danger it will just take over. How many topics currently for instance are about the war compared to everything else?

Too many.

There are plenty of forums that are specifically about the war which people can use if they want it.

There are plenty of sites that have news about the war that people will read if they want ... there really isn't need to post it here and many times things are being posted on multiple threads on the same subject.

Agreed.

I suggest that unless there is a major event that we don't keep going round in circles as people's opinions are hardened and we are just shouting at each other.

Agreed.

• Criticizing the US/UK govenments does not automatically make you anti-american / brit and that you hate american / british people
      • Being anti-war does not mean you support Sadam or his regime. Maybe just that all other avenues should have been exhausted first.
      • Being pro-war does not mean you wish people to die just that you feel something needs to be done now and not later.
      • Being anti-war does not mean you don’t wish the troops well and hope they return safely or are ungrateful for the sacrifices and risks they make.
      • Having a difference of opinion does not make the other side stupid / ungrateful and mean that friendships should be lost.
      • Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it agrees with yours or not.

AMEN Angharad!!!

• anglise
    anglise

Maybe some are going over the top with their comments and views because for the first time they are in position to really say what they think and feel about this highly emotive subject.

In the last 2 conflicts ie Falklands and Desert storm we were loyal dubs and so spouted the party line and I am sure this is the case with many on the board right now.

I think maybe it is hard for people who come from a high control background to express themselves in an adult and constructive way and to let others do the same.

The old feeling that anyone not in total agreement with them is "wicked-worldly-deserves to die at Armgeddon" then tends to take over and govern their reasoning.

We must all allow others the freedom of their thoughts and decisions without resorting to personal abuse and derogratory comments.

However much we think we know and understand about this latest conflict we DONT KNOW IT ALL!!, and maybe never will.

We also bring our own emotional baggage to every decision we make and comments we type on this forum.

We can all try to be thoughtful and adult about this.

We do after all want to show others that the org is wrong about life outside its walls and want to encourage these ones to join us here in their recovery.

We can say what we feel but total freedom is anarchy so we must think first.

I am finding it very thought provoking to read others thoughts on this war but it detracts from the main issue when the comments become personnel.

Anglise

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Simon, I think this forum is good for keeping abreast of the "general feel" for world situations, including the Iraqi situation. Your current affairs spot is a good place. I do, however believe that you have rules in place to remove those posters who are not adhering to the basic principles of civil behavior when there is difference of opinion, theory, fact., etc.

Some people really do need to be removed and they ask for it by their behavior. They have no one to blame but themselves if that happens. You've been more than tolerant, but I believe you might lose some good members if this continues too long.

• dubla
    dubla

I for one am sick of it and I suspect that other people are too.

This is supposed to be a site for JW related issues. Not exclusively but primarily. Sure, we have some subject areas for world affairs but this should be for big events and not a blow-bly-blow account of the war as news dribbles out. This war is likely to go on for weeks or months, maybe even longer and there a danger it will just take over. How many topics currently for instance are about the war compared to everything else?

There are plenty of forums that are specifically about the war which people can use if they want it.

There are plenty of sites that have news about the war that people will read if they want ...

there might be other forums specifically about the war, but there are many friends here that only talk to each other here, so its natural for one of the biggest events in the last decade to get over-coverage here. during 9/11, how many threads were devoted to the tragedy, the latest news, the victims, the vigils, etc? the majority of the posts on the main page, i can guarantee that.....and it certainly wasnt a jw related issue. i guess the difference is we were predominantly united on that issue, whereas the current issues are divided heavily, which creates a lot of tension. the tension gets old for many, im sure, but im not sure how you could cut down the amounts of posts without hurting a lot of feelings. maybe blow-by-blow isnt what some want to see, but maybe others are very interested in the chopper that went down today, and would like to discuss it with their friends (that again, they only see here). i can see your points, but i can also see even more discontent and harder feelings if one persons post/thread is deemed "not as important" as someone elses because it isnt a "major event". tough dilemma.

aa

• Simon
    Simon

This is not a news channel.

I'm all for topics for discussion but frequently there is no intent to discuss things, just repeat rhetoric and so forth.

• dubla
    dubla
    I'm all for topics for discussion but frequently there is no intent to discuss things, just repeat rhetoric and so forth.

well, by the title of this thread you implied that you wanted our opinions of the war topics issue, and i think i made some pretty valid points about friends and current events. maybe you just have to start making some judgement calls, and everyone else will have to deal with it.

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit