Covid 19 - expert says it's hype!

by The Fall Guy 21 Replies latest social current

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

LOL! Having commented earlier on experts' differing views, here's a prominent German physician/politician - Wolfgang Wodarg - who made controvorsial statements that the coronavirus "pandemic" is not out of the ordinary and that Italy's mortality rate (8,215 deaths from coronavirus so far) is no greater than it would normally be from the 'flu virus. In 2017/18 approx 18,000 Italians died due to the flu.

The WikiPedia section - Controversial Theses in the 2020 COVID 19 crisis - is worth examining. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Wodarg

• minimus
    minimus

Hmmm

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t need to be an expert to know the man is an idiot if he really thinks that. The death toll in Italy is over 9000 so far, and despite the most extreme mitigating measures employed in modern times in Europe against a pandemic. Over ten percent of cases are resulting in death in Italy, the highest anywhere. What would the death toll be without the lockdown? Unfortunately we might be about to find out from the US and UK what results from less strict measures than those applied in Italy and Spain. It is nothing like seasonal flu.

A significant percent of the fatalities in Italy are doctors and other medical staff who were attending to those sick with coronavirus. How many doctors does the season flu usually kill? Mmm

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

His views are interesting but dangerous. During the early days of the build-up to this I struggled to get my own head round it. The winter mortality stats are terrifying even during a normal year, what is so different now

The death rate for the infected was said to be 1 to 2% little different from regular flu virus's.

The penny dropped with me when I saw the infection potential in any population 60/80% rather than 12/15% in a normal round of flu. That makes the numbers staggering, this creates an impossible treatment load for any health system in any country.

So yes this pandemic has to be taken with the utmost seriousness, doctors, nurses, police, supermarket staff and many other people are in my view heroes, courageous in the most selfless way. I salute them.

Don't let this sort of fake news alter your resolve to beat this by whatever means are in your power.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

An expert worth listening to, in the country with the most successful response to the new coronavirus to date. Our government says masks are no use for the general population. South Koreans know otherwise.

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

• Simon
    Simon
    Our government says masks are no use for the general population

That's because our governments dropped the ball in having enough emergency supplies, so they want regular people to do without so that health-workers can have them.

Heads should roll for it but don't expect anyone to be held to account for their massive failure.

• TD
    TD

So a scientist advances a theory. It's torn to shreds by his peers, not just of its inaccuracy, but for its faulty methodology.

The data since early 2020 has not followed the model suggested by the theory, providing further disconfirmation,

Die Glaubwürdigkeit von Herrn Wodarg ist jetzt ernsthaft geschädigt...

Was your intention to highlight the difference between how science works and how religion works?

• LV101
    LV101

Seasonal flu usually doesn't KILL that many doctors - 40 as of today in Italy. This new stat in Italy gets the attention of statisticians who are hopeful it will be same as a bad flu epidemic, but I hope Wolfgang Woldarg is right.

He's not the only one saying it might be lower - or around 1/10 of a percent up to 1% after everyone is tested. The original stats off of models they were following out of London were over estimated but they're changing daily.

• cofty
    cofty

Interesting article I read last week that spoke about the importance of initial 'viral load'. People who get infected after a small exposure tend to do well and have little or no symptoms.

People like doctors or family members of infected patients who get prolonged exposure in the early stages tend to do badly.

This might explain why doctors are falling victim. Also if somebody you live with gets infected avoid them like the plague!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes the reason for that is that the virus multiplies in the body until it reaches a stage where it begins to cause illness. If your initial exposure to the virus comprises less of the virus itself, then it takes longer for the virus to reach high enough levels to cause illness. At the same time your body’s immune system begins to fight the virus, so the longer the virus takes to build, the more time your body’s immune system has to recognise and combat the virus. So the theory goes anyway ... And it would explain why many doctors get a more serve illness, because of their levels of exposure.

Professor Neil Ferguson of Imperial College London estimated that as many as 500,000 would die in the UK if we didn’t take measures to stop it. He says that effective social distancing could massively reduce that figure to 20,000. But our lockdown was not as swift or comprehensive as Italy or Spain, so I search in vain for reasons to be optimistic that we will fare better than they have.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/coronavirus-pandemic-neil-ferguson-did-not-walk-back-covid-19-predictions/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit