Any Homebrewers here? (more OT fluff)

by Bendrr 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

On egood thing with homebrew is that you know what's in it. In fact, after you drink it for a while, any commercial beer tends to taste like you're drinking chemicals.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Simon, generally you are!!!

Also... beer that's made out of expensive natural / traditional ingredients generally tells you on the label, e.g. "made with finest barley and malt", whereas the beers which don't say anything about what goes into them tend to be made out of fermeted potatoe or rice water including many cheap lagers such as Fosters and Carling which are two examples.

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

Bendrr

I have brewed my own beer for few years now and can confirm that the two most important features are already mentioned. Namely cleanliness and aging. My stock is about 300 bottles (abt US pint), which gives about 4...5 months cool storage rotation. This long cool storage makes the difference.

Another thing I found lately is to substitute ordinary sugar with dextrose (grape sugar). About two years ago I brewed two parallel batches with standard sugar and the other with dextrose. All of the sampling team preferred the dextrose brew over the standard sugar brew. I have used dextrose ever since.

In fact I am just sampling my stock - not bad.

Mark

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

Hi Ballistic,how goes it,got that new bike yet?.

I have had a similer problem with my pressure barrel,I filled it up with a strong sterilisation mix and left it for a week,that seemed to do the trick.

Cheers,

Rich.

• Francois
    Francois

Careful with the bottle aging process. When I was 18, I brewed a batch of suds and had put some of it up in those large glass Canada Dry Ginger Ale Bottles. It was working fine until one of those bottle exploded and sent a large glass shard into my cheek all the way to the bone. I tell the women it's a dueling scar from a fight over a lady's honor. Works very well

francois

• ballistic
    ballistic

Rich, I'm waiting to find out whats happening to my job first, will keep you "posted".

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

These brewing experiences are making me LOL. OMG and we're still alive.

We did the beer and it turned out great, we found it was a lot of work. so we brew the wine. on a monthly basis. Can't even age the stuff long enough before we drink it.

The one wine batch that we almost lost was we had bottled and corked the wine and left for almost a week to attend an assembly, and of course it was one of the hottest summers, so on our return home, I could smell wine but thought nothing of it. Anyways a couple of days later I went down into the basement to check our wine. Well there was a mess there were corks lying all over the floor, and it was wet. Some corks were still in the wine bottles but half way out, so I stuffed them back into the bottles. Well we lost a few bottles but the bottles we were able to salvage ended up being like champagne, very bubbly and yummy. Our best batch. Could we duplicate it now, No.

have fun brewing, its an experience

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

Francois

This problem of exploding bottles is not caused by the lenght of aging process. It is simply a sign either too early bottling or adding too much sugar at the bottling or both together. If done properly the fermentation process stops before these bottles are transferred to cool storage. If at the bottling moment there is too much unfermented stuff the fermentation will go on and eventually there is a risk of explosion. I have not lost a single bottle because of explosion during these years. But I have to admit that the amount of after fermentation sugar is very, very tricky.

Mark

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

8:00 pm est. The wort is now boiling. In about 30 minutes I'll be moving it to the fermentation bucket and adding the yeast.

Mike.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Mike, you make it sound like brain surgery!!!

Have you thought of listening to classical music while under-taking these procedures???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit