Is it OK to teach your children that Homosexuality is wrong?

by Thomasdam 36 Replies latest social family

• Thomasdam
    Thomasdam

I know a few family's who have left the cult but send their kids to a religious school because of the public schools teaching many times that Homosexuality is OK. The bible is clear that its a sin. There is no just love each other and its all OK. I don't believe in the bible or any religion. I have a niece who came out as gay and I told her I don't care. It does not affect my caring for her. But Its also not my place to tell others how to raise their kids.

• cofty
    cofty
    The bible is clear that its a sin

The bible teaches that, kidnap, rape, genocide and infanticide are morally good. It is not a reliable guide to ethics.

No it's not helpful to children to be judgemental about what other consenting adults do in bed. It's better to teach children how to think critically then teach them what to think.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The ancient Hebrews were not aware of the variations of human sexaul identity, therefore when they saw Homosexuality they were applaud not to their own fault..

They saw it as an immoral and unnatural act, an insult to god's creation etc..

Civilizations even today and the past saw it the same way and they wern't from the Hebrew civilization..

To add to Cofty's point, the ancient Hebrews thought it was justifiable to put a child to death for dishonoring their parents or a man could rape a girl and if she was unwed, the man could buy the girl from her parents, with no opposition from the raped girl.

Let it be accepted though that the ancient Hebrews did use the power and fear of their god to support their established social behavior controls over its people , ie. the 10 commandments.

• gone for good
    gone for good

What of the child taught that homosexuality is a sin later understands that they themselves are in fact homosexual?

No winners in that approach.

• Thomasdam
    Thomasdam

Frank, not true at all. In many cultures Homosexuality was a normal way of life. The ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Polynesia China and Japan to name but a few homosexuality was normal and accepted.American Indians, Mayans and Aztecs all accepted homosexuality. Mesopotamia and Persia. the list goes on.

• Giordano
    Giordano

vive la difference!

Think about this........ for people who can't reproduce there sure are a hell of a lot of Gay's. God could have wiped them out in the beginning but chose not to do anything about Gays. Let them be. Wish them happiness.

Gays can contribute in every way a non gay person can so they have value.

Your ex JW friends who want to pray the gay off of their kids by putting them in an anti gay religious school......your better off without them in your life.

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

Every chance you get you should share the fact that science has proven that being gay is to do genetics and invetro environment.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Depends on what you mean by 'wrong'. Do they mean that gays are 'bad people', yes that's bad to teach children. I can understand the viewpoint that "I think it's a sin so I won't do it" (as long as the child is free to make their own choices in these aspects) but you still want to teach the child that they should be open to all people and all walks of life and can have a civil discussion with them.

Whatever any number of consenting people do in their bedroom shouldn't be any of your concerns, even if you don't like it, you may think they're wrong but that shouldn't give you the right to treat them different or worse than you do anyone.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Even while we were a practicing JW my Bro.in law and one of my wife`s nephew was gay while we didn`t approve of the practice we didn`t judge them in any way .We accepted them as we did the rest of our non JW family and had normal relationships with all of them .

Maybe it was because we were not born ins but converted to the religion.We had close ties with both our families .

Maybe the fact that we had moved to another state also contributed to that fact.and we only saw them once or twice a year.My bro.in law has been in his same sex relationship with his partner for more than twenty years now.

I know many JW couples whose marriage has failed long before that time and gotten divorced.

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

Wrong? Do you mean it is wrong for me since I don't have those feelings? Ok, it's wrong for me. But if you have those feelings, is it wrong? I really don't give a rats ass. It's you. Do what you want. Now, what about children? Good question. I don't have any. But I would think I would teach them the traditional male female relationship because that is what I am used to. But also let them know others may have different feelings. And it is up to them to sort that out. Not you, not me, not anyone else. Just don't force your beliefs on them, and don't let them force their beliefs on you. Maybe I am just too simplistic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit