Churches in Australia could lose millions in tax breaks under radical national faith register plan

by sherrie11 25 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sherrie11
    sherrie11

CHURCHES and religious organisations would lose millions of dollars in tax breaks, concessions and hand outs under a radical plan to force priests, rabbis and imams to sign up to a national faith register.

Under the bold proposal clergy would for the first time be forced to undergo government-specified training and security checks and would be monitored by a national body, or risk losing government funding.

Former premier Ted Baillieu has backed the plan that has been put to federal and state leaders including the Prime Minister’s office, and Premier Daniel Andrews.

It is understood a number of high-profile politicians have also privately backed the proposed reforms saying ministers of religion should be subject to more stringent compliance.

The proposals have been tendered to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse amid concerns about the lack of scrutiny of some religious institutions.

The proposals would see clergy accredited in the same way as lawyers, doctors and teachers by an independent federal statutory body charged with registering all clergy for practice in Australia.

They would be subjected to government-specified training in Australian law, child sexual abuse, family violence, women’s rights, and children’s rights.

They would also be forced to renew a “licence” to practice annually, which would require meeting ongoing educational training requirements.

A complaint process through an independent third party would be setup for any complaints against any minister of religion.

Only accredited ministers would be entitled to current special tax benefits and exemptions afforded to religious practitioners.

And religious institutions would be required to employ only registered ministers or lose government funding.

Mr Baillieu, who launched a parliamentary inquiry into child sexual abuse while Premier, said a national code of conduct could also be introduced.

“I think there's a strong case for ministers of religion to be regulated in the same way as workers in other professions," Mr Baillieu said.

The plan also has the backing of leaders from Melbourne's religious community.

Leading Melbourne Rabbi James Kennard said greater professionalism for clergy would bring great benefit to both the priests, rabbis, imams and others and to the congregations they serve.

“A key element of such a strategy would be for an independent and external body to grant registration to members of the clergy conditional on their adhering to a set of professional standards,” he said.

“To make the current tax benefits for clergy dependent on such registration is an idea that has much merit.”

A Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne spokesman said the church would have no trouble complying with a national faith register.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/churches-could-lose-millions-in-tax-breaks-under-radical-national-faith-register-plan/story-fni0fit3-1227551078062

IF the JW's joined this it would mean they are part of Babylon the Great!!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I don't like this regardless of the tax issue.
  • LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    The GB would never join in, and they would spin this and say that now Australia is a taxed country.
  • hoser
    hoser
    They would cry persecution like they did in france
  • prologos
    prologos
    The text refers to "government funding". is this in Australia understood to be indirect through tax exemptions or direct as a "church" tax payroll deducted in countries like Germany and doled out as clergy allowances?
  • Listener
    Listener

It looks like the UK is considering a similar register but for different reasons.

Sorry I can't link to a news article, as i am using a tablet and dont know how but it is on the Telegraph UK titled imams will have to register

• sherrie11
    sherrie11

Government funding in Australia for religious organizations and churches cover sthings like additional and extra funding for private schools and welfare programs such as housing the homless hostels etc , religious nursing homes for the elderly.

The Australian government give financial assistance to religious organizations of upward of $31 Billion Australian dollers per year.

• wizzstick
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry
    Village Idioto
    I don't like this regardless of the tax issue.

In this instance, your username is how I feel about rejecting efforts to reign in ANYONE dealing with minors.
  • jhine
    jhine

VI , I did wonder why you said that you did not like this . It does kinda seem as if you are against measures to help stop abuse , maybe we are misunderstanding your post . Or can you see flaws in the proposals ?

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit