Finding Neverland

by Freeorange 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Freeorange
    Freeorange
    I have to start off this post by saying I am not intending to insult or offend. These are just our observations over our entire lives in the org. It’s been discussed on here before that being in the truth in the 70s, 80s, and up to mid 90s seemed good! We had great friends, zeal for the ministry, and most importantly we were gonna be in paradise soon! No need for higher education, buying a house, or even braces - Jehovah will fix those crooked teeth soon! Our congregation had “October Frank” reminding us every October “This is it! The GT is gonna happen in October“! BTW Frank has been dead for over 10 years.

We were all determined to pioneer and not have children because “who would have children in this system?“. I recall the stir it caused in the late 80s at the SF convention when the brother‘s talk praised couples who remained childless for the sake of the good news! I’m from a very large family and the discussions after that were unanimous. I can see now that thinking deprived me and my siblings from having children and my parents from the grandchildren they never had. But that was all gonna be fixed in the new world so don’t think about it and just get back out in service.

Things started changing somewhere around the mid 90s. We live in a very affluent part of CA (born and raised here so it’s normal to us) and there are a lot of “pretty people” here. Think lots of cosmetic surgeries, fake lips, fake tans, hair extensions, etc. This began creeping into the congregation and by 2000s was the norm. About that time there was a flood of divorces and families rearranging. The double KH we attended became a child swapping fest with the divorced parents at the meeting in the two different halls and the kids running back and forth between them. There were also the childless couples who pretended to go on need greater preaching trips but were actually just exotic vacations and they took one token photo in front of the local KH. They were the rock stars and everyone wanted to be like them. It was not unusual to see the KH parking lot filled with mostly BMWs, Mercedes, and several Ferraris on Sunday. The crash of 2008 hit hard here. Many were losing their over financed homes and moving in with family. One assembly a couple we were close with were interviewed on stage and praised how they had decided to “simplify their lives“ by getting rid of their large expensive home to pioneer. That was a flat out lie! Their home was foreclosed on and they tried to hang on to it tooth and nail! Only after there was no saving it did they begin to spin the story all the way to the stage and their “good example“. 🙄

Through out the years we’ve noticed a significant amount of mental and emotional “issues” within the congregation. Almost as if a group arrested development is necessary to stay in the org and keep living in the last of the last days. As our group of friends are getting older and our parents are elderly and dying in this system and none of this was supposed to happen. It’s like everyone is living in two different worlds. Now the reality of no savings, no retirement plan, never bought a house. no children to care for them when they get older, and the years keep clipping away. For years the discussions always circled back around to the system can’t last much longer because the GB are getting older and the generation - right?

We now see many sisters in their 40s desperately trying IVF. Hardly ever do I work with a sister in my business and they’re not on some kind of anti anxiety or depression med. I know that’s a sensitive topic for many on here. I have worked with the public for years and it’s a disproportionate amount of witnesses vs non witnesses on these meds and many for decades. I had a sister in yesterday dealing with crippling anxiety and the depression of being in her 40s and still single. She could not stop crying at the thought of going back D2D but then the huge guilt of “not doing enough in the ministry”. She would even drive hours away into SF to get CBD so no one would see her and she begged me not to tell anyone. Trust me - not gonna say anything.

The arrested development we see among the sisters has been going on for many years and they encourage each other to stay in the childlike mindset. Many of the sisters have not only an obsession but an outright emotional dependence on all things Disneyland. 😳 Now I know a lot of people enjoy Disneyland and I’m not talking about the family vacation. I’m talking groups of adult, childless sisters that lived for Disney. They would plan multiple trips together per year without their husbands. They would sob and go into deep depression if they couldn’t go for any reason. Even going into debt or fighting with their husband about the expense. They wore the mouse ears like a crown for days and posted bizarre pictures of them hugging the Disney characters like they were friends. Their homes were covered in glass Disney figurines and they wore all the Mini Mouse clothing they could get away with. We have lived in multiple states on both coasts and this happened in many congregations.

In the car groups sisters would spend the morning singing the latest “original songs” from the broadcast often breaking into tears when they sang “Just around the corner” 🙄 and sometimes talk to each other in children’s voices. They couldn’t wait for the next Caleb video. I always assumed I was the one not trying hard enough to be close with them but I just couldn’t play along with their fantasy worlds. For the brothers it seems the org has focused for years on softening them down. The brothers have become so passive about everything except defending the GB. The men in the congregation are not allowed to have any real alpha qualities, perhaps that’s why we still have a no beard attitude. Can’t have strong males and maybe that’s why no elders pushed back on the v@x roll out. My husband has been so disappointed with his fellow elders and the men he looked up to. Not one would stand up to protect the congregation or even question what was happening. His talking with the other elders and the CO obviously has caused problems but we don’t care. He has often been counseled on being “too aggressive“ sorry, he’s not a house cat 🐈.

The real cherry on top happened this summer for us and the cruel reality of what the org does to peoples lives. Our long time friend died from the v, she’s the one that woke up paralyzed and died soon after. She had pioneered for close to 60 years, it’s literally all she lived for. I don’t have hardly a picture of her without a book bag in her hand. Her and I would be out till dark in service. Their only son left the truth decades before and they completely cut him off, they never got to know him of his family. When they got too old and sick he was called upon to come care for them, the parents he didn’t know now needed him. As we sat on her Zoom funeral watching the video of her life nonstop in the ministry while her old husband sobbed and the song “Just around the corner“ played over and over again like a cruel, final joke.
    I know this is a long post. Just trying to make sense of a lifetime of weirdness that we just accepted as normal. Sorry if I struck a nerve for anyone. Maybe writing it out is a little therapeutic.
  • Mikejw
    Mikejw

Yes we also notice a significant amount of mental issues these days.

many believed it when were told there is not long left now, they pioneered with low incomes and no plans for retirement

many sacrificed buying a house or getting a full time job, having children because it was frowned upon

now they are bitter about those brothers who said those things as they are all proven to be charlatans

the good news is the next generation of JWs are not pioneers and are getting educated and thinking about good jobs.

many young ones are not even getting baptised after the new light

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I enjoyed your post and think it is both perceptive and accurate, Freeorange. but as a personal favour, can I ask please that in future you do not refer to the J.W's as "the truth" ?

I know we have to search for a more clumsy way of referring to them, and that "the truth" is a convenient shorthand, but it is Mind Controlling Cult Speak, and really gets my goat !

Thanks, and keep on Posting your thoughts !

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    we sat on her Zoom funeral watching the video of her life nonstop in the ministry while her old husband sobbed and the song “Just around the corner“ played over and over again like a cruel, final joke.

As sad as that is, the reality is, that's as good as it gets. "it is appointed unto man once to die and then judgment" - Hebrews 9: 27

She will be required to explain why she lived a life of rebellion against Jesus when he commanded all to partake of the New Covenant "for the forgiveness of sins" - Mt. 26: 27-28

For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. - Jesus

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    She will be required to explain why she lived a life of rebellion against Jesus when he commanded all to partake of the New Covenant "for the forgiveness of sins"

OR, she'll rot in her grave and never miss the passage of time one iota.

"I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." ~ Mark Twain

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I agree with Phizzy about using their terminology; I don't. I refer to JWs, the WT or the GB (being an outsider, it was never da Troof to me!) I don't use their pejorative term "Christendom" when talking about other churches, I say mainstream Christianity (they qualify under that umbrella anyway, so I never understood the point of that). I say ex or former JWs instead of apostates. There's probably an entire thread on WT jargonese used to condition the thinking of the PIMIs. Once you're out, not in, you need to stop using their dictionary and their learned lines from their playbook.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

This post resonates with my experience in the Borg.

Except for the Ferrari's in the kingdom Hall carpark.

And the new age jw songs, which I'm glad I missed.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    we were gonna be in paradise soon! No need for higher education, buying a house, or even braces - Jehovah will fix those crooked teeth soon!

Yep, was there for that!

Our congregation had “October Frank” reminding us every October “This is it! The GT is gonna happen in October“! BTW Frank has been dead for over 10 years.

Yeah, October was da month!

My extremely zealous 110% JW grandfather and I would get into arguments in the 90's when I would bring up the fact that the end was overdue. He would say loudly and strongly "It's umminent! It's umminent!" (He pronounced "imminent" as "umminent."). He's been dead over 20 years, and the end still ain't nowhere in sight.

Things started changing somewhere around the mid 90s

Yes, I totally agree. That's when the wind began to leave my JW sails. Before that, I had been a zealous, greatly sacrificing reg pio who would have unhesitatingly died for the religion. I think the "generation" doctrine change in early 1995 was the turning point. We got all the way to the goal line and they moved the goal post to some hazy location where we couldn't even see it anymore.

After 1995, I really started hearing myself in the ministry. In earlier times, I had been well-known as being adept in the ministry. I would describe paradise in vivid terms to those I encountered in the field. But around 1995, when I really started hearing myself, it began to sound unrealistic, cultish, fantastical. We were going to literally live forever on earth? ...a small rock upon which all living things die and recycle? ... a planet which, according to well-known science is going to be engulfed by the sun when it enters another stage of its existence and starts to expand? We were going to pet lions and never get cavities in our teeth and build beautiful houses and all get along while wearing khaki pants and eating fruit? It just started sounding unrealistic, and it was never the same after that. It was all downhill.

I recall the stir it caused in the late 80s at the SF convention when the brother‘s talk praised couples who remained childless for the sake of the good news!

I don't know whether this is what you're referring to, but there was a major dist conv talk in the late 80's titled something like "Responsible Childbearing in the Time of the End." It basically indicated that we were so close to the end that couples should give serious thought to having children. I will never forget that talk.

no children to care for them when they get older, and the years keep clipping away.

That is a major concern to me. I wouldn't expect my children to serve me and be my caretakers, but I would like to have someone who would care that I exist and make sure I'm not mistreated if I go to a nursing home. I observe my employer and his family. He has two boys and two girls, all 30ish. They all have a really good relationship. He will have somebody to visit him and make sure he's OK when he's older. He did the same with both of his parents who died in the last few years. I observed all that the whole while thinking that my wife and I will have nobody - not one single soul. I worry that I will die first and leave her completely alone in the world. I'm working desperately now to get our affairs in order so that if I go first, things will be easier on her. If she goes first and I start getting weak, I plan on just going to a desert in the American West and hiking off, preferably to some mountains and dying under the stars. I don't want to go to a nursing home with no family to check on me - to just be placed there to die.

And to think... I was told my whole life that I was going to live forever in paradise and now my hope is to just find the best way to die.

That was a flat out lie! Their home was foreclosed on and they tried to hang on to it tooth and nail!

Totally believable story. Sounds just like many of the JWs I knew. I know one who is to this day a prominent elder. He has almost a sickness about money. He didn't have that much, but he was extremely miserly almost in an unhealthy way. He worked in a parts department for a certain industry and he lost his job. He would NEVER have given it up... NEVER. He started doing cleaning work after he lost his job and he started pioneering. The story went around that he gave up his job to pioneer; it was total BS; he lost that job.

Now the reality of no savings, no retirement plan

I'm one of those who will never get tor retire because of listening to and obeying the org. During my years of serving the org fulltime, I never received any help from others; I worked grueling jobs to support myself. And all the time, others actually asked me for help. I worked on others' houses and cars for nothing. I loaned them money and gave them money. I contributed when others needed money for medical treatment, tires for their cars, etc. And now, I am stuck working with no relief in sight.

Yeah, JWs still seek their Neverland. The old-timers are confused; it was supposed to have long been here by now, but it must be just around the corner.

I, myself, still seek Neverland, just not the JW version. I just can't make myself give up all hope. I still seek answers. I now look to math and physics for answers, and I see things in those areas that make me thing there might be something else besides the realm we experience now... that there might some kind of higher being(s) responsible for our realm.

I fully understand and can completely relate to your entire post. Those who have never been JWs and even JWs who didn't experience it in the 70's, 80's, & 90's will not be able to fully relate. I've noticed that over on the exJW reddit, there are mostly younger exJWs who were not around in the earlier years, and they just can't relate to what it was like then.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Magnum: He's been dead over 20 years, and the end still ain't nowhere in sight.

This. My mother began to study with the JWs in the mid-60s. Her mother and sister were JWs already, and I get the impression that they talked to her about 1975. And since her own life was not going as she had hoped, the thought of a brand new start in just a few years must have sounded perfect.

Today, some 55 years later, she is still convinced that the end is very close and that it could happen at any time. And she believes that "any time" means tomorrow or the day after, because "the world situation is too bad to continue like this" and whatever other stuff they tell one another.

I am certain of this much: if the WTS had said back in 1975 that the end would come sometime after 2023, and not before, she would have walked away right then and there. Saying that "soon" meant "more than 50 years" would have sounded so preposterous that she would have said 'no' and moved on with her life.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    TonusOH: because "the world situation is too bad to continue like this"

My own mother just told me that very recently. I remember vividly her saying that very same thing when I was a child in the 1970's. In her slow, country accent: "Ooh, listen, crime has gotten so bad that the end has to be near."

Literally 50yrs later, she's saying the same thing.

I am certain of this much: if the WTS had said back in 1975 that the end would come sometime after 2023, and not before, she would have walked away right then and there. Saying that "soon" meant "more than 50 years" would have sounded so preposterous that she would have said 'no' and moved on with her life.

If they had said back in the 70's that the end would come sometime after 2023, that would have greatly changed the whole feel, look, dynamic, etc. of the religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit