Stop the Electric car solar power brainwashing Lies!!

by Witness 007 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Ha Ha i got a dislike for a factual post,,, facepalm..

Hey peacefulpete, where are you getting this info??

The Jinko panels are worth $300 retail at most here in Oz.

= $300 x 13 = $3,900.00.

Installed with three workers in less than four hours.

jtg

Edit to add 'Goodwe' inverter cost of installed system.

Well – it depends on a couple of things. But for ballpark figures for a fully installed system with Goodwe inverters:

• 1.5kW (around 4 panels): $2,500 – $4,000
    • 2kW (around 5 panels): $3,000 – $4,500
    • 3kW (around 7 panels): $3,500 – $5,000
    • 4kW (around 10 panels): $4,000 – $6,000
    • 5kW (around 12 panels): $4,500 – $8,000
    • 5.4kW (around 14 panels): $4,700 – $8,500
    • 6kW (around 15 panels): $5,000 – $9,000
    • 6.6kW (around 16 panels): $5,500 – $9,000
    • 7kW (around 17 panels): $6,500 – $10,000
    • 8kW (around 19 panels): $7,500 – $11,000
    • 10kW (around 24 panels): $8,000 – $13,000
    • 15kW (around 36 panels): $13,000 – $18,000
    • 20kW (around 48 panels): $17,000 – $22,000

This is the going rate in Oz across a multiple of certified installers.

jtg

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

TR JKM430-450M-6TL4-(V)-A1-EN.ai (solardynamics.com.au)

Jinko Solar Panels: An In-Depth Review (solarreviews.com)

It's wonderful you got them for that price. As I said your government must be heavily subsidizing the industry. We used Panasonics at the time. They were about $500 ea back then. I know they have come down a bit but you did great. I assure you I didn't leave a thumbs down, Simon still won't give me permission to do that.
    A typical installation took 2-3 days with a team of 3. 1 on ground 2 on roof with harnesses. The first day was just setting up scaffolding and installing the mounting rails and perhaps the junction box/panel. The next was spent mounting the panels and some wire pulling. If the roof was steep, it often spilled into a 3rd day for completion. You guys are fast, or there is something very different about your installation methods and codes.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The codes here require using mounting systems that meets wind load and corrosion resistance standards. The average 6KW rooftop system used a rail and standoff racking. The wholesale cost of the rails and standoffs, flashing and UFOs (special cleat/bolts Ironridge) was about $2000-2500. Including all the panels, inverter, wire, box and breakers balance of system components, parts/materials alone were about $10k.

Goodwe inverter costGoodwe GW6000A-BP - Inverter Supply

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

So this is a big con job full of shit thing...ok

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Well, I am shocked at how expensive solar is in Canada. And i didn't mean to imply you down-voted my earlier post, just thought it was hilarious.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjzz4nw-PuDAxWAbGwGHb0hC1cQFnoECBgQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.energyhub.org%2Fcost-solar-power-canada%2F&usg=AOvVaw3MV8aLgu3HeWuCsF5RmetA&opi=89978449

And yes the quality standards here are as stringent as in Canada, especially OH&S requirements re working at heights etc etc.

Here in Oz the domestic industry is not being subsidized by the Government. Only home owners receive various rebates.

Large scale wind farm and solar projects are subsidized.

The OP however did raise a important issue, namely that coal and gas fired power generation was being phased out at an alarming rate. This concerns most Aussies as blackouts are becoming more common.

Another concern is that from January this year all new residential buildings requiring a permit will not be permitted to be connected to gas.

Quite stupid for a country that contributes app 1% to global warming.

However, there is nothing wrong with choosing solar panels if your budget and circumstances permit.

Bit like religion I suppose, you know, choose the bits that suit you and leave the rest be. (humour)

jtg

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    • So this is a big con job full of shit thing...ok

I hope I didn't give you that impression. Renewables make sense in every conceivable way. Every resource has it's strengths and weaknesses, requiring education and long term planning. Residential wind and solar make great practical sense as far as the actual productivity and usefulness. My comment was just to temper expectations from a financial perspective. Unless you live in Australia, you are not going to be making money hand over fist. Making a larger investment and installing more panels than you really need only slightly improves the returns. In short do it if you want to or need to. There is the other aspect that having solar (even without battery storage) can offer some protection from power outages. Tell your installer you want to have the ability to keep an outlet/point live during hours of production. They should know to choose an invertor that "islands" the house from the grid. Without this choice, codes require your array to instantly disconnect to keep the grid being energized when repairmen would expect it to be dead. However through "islanding" you can have one or two outlets energized during outages and when the sun is shining. This is enough to keep freezers and refrigerators from thawing. We also wired one to keep the furnace going. Lot's of variables but there is some value in requesting this option.

IMO, ideally we would convert the grid to renewables and nuclear. Solar and wind on a larger scale has a much better return of investment. Nuclear presently has it's own issues as we know but progress is being made.

In short, residential wind and solar are not 'a con job' but they are not going to make you rich.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Many homes in America are fully electric now. Gas for cooking is out of favor for health reasons and there are many new options in electric heat. Heat pumps are coming on strong. I myself have electric heat and a propane furnace and a wood stove. If power goes out, I'm using wood. If run out of propane I can use electric or wood. I guess in your case you could get a portable kerosene or gas unit, but make sure to ventilate!

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Note that solar panels, even ín the US are currently heavily subsidized both by China and by the US (no or negative tarrifs on import). Most states also subsidize the installation cost.

Still, it really depends on where you live whether they make sense, even after all the rebates, a decent installation that would cover my house is in the $50k range. My entire house is electrified, my house has had 3 heat pumps with electric heat backup for like 30+ years, 2 electric stove/ovens, 4 fridges/freezers, 2 dishwashers, 2 water heaters, dryer/washer etc. - it is power hungry. I have a 300A service and it’s being maxed out between the two living units. The backup heat alone can consume 100A when it is too cold for the heat pumps to work, they stop being efficient around the freezing point, they stop being able to heat at about +5C for the old ones to about -5C for the one replaced last year.

Still I pay between $50 in summer and $200 in peak winter for energy for 2 ‘families’ (nuclear sourced power is very cheap). A payment plan over the expected lifespan of a solar panel (5-10 years) with sufficiently sized battery pack to provide in the winter months (I’d have to clean snow off my roof daily) is more expensive than that.

And I don’t even have 4-5 EV chargers I will need once my children are old enough to drive, that alone needs another 200A which simply isn’t available. I don’t have a tankless water heater the green nuts would like you to use (this consumes a lot more peak power), I don’t even have a pool, let alone a heated pool.

Even in summer, you need about 20 solar panels with a decent battery and still have grid backup to power my house at night, let alone the 50-100 extra panels and battery if I needed to be off grid and provide sufficient power during winter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit