No funeral

by road to nowhere 18 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FEDUPJW:

I don’t blame your parents for not wanting any kind of ‘memorial’ service by the JW religion - whatever it may consist of.

If they were ignored in the congregation and not treated well in life why be any part of the hypocrisy? The religion is all about pretense.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

when my old JW dad died in 2016--i had his will checked and there was no mention of any funeral arrangements--and i know in the final years of his life he never mentioned it to me. I was his next of kin and visited him frequently--which the local " brothers" didnt any more. Ive no clue as to whether he had asked them not to..or if it was because they knew of his close association with me.

Anyway--i certainly didnt want any jw's at his funeral--or any kind of religious service. So a simple quiet committal was arranged--attended by me. 2 friends of mine ( both ex dubs ) and a couple of staff from the care home he had lived at for his final years. None of my family attended.

• Mum
    Mum

It has to be tough being a PIMO. I hope you find some way to enjoy life when the relatives aren't around.

I asked my daughter to donate my body to science.

I totally agree that a JW funeral is the worst!

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore
    I have talked to Mom about what she wants and she has made it clear , No Jw service. Some can come. But they don't run the program sort to speak. Seeing what Dad's was like, she was not impressed.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Even my diehard JW mom says she does not want an infomercial!

• Scully
    Scully

Both of my JW parents decided there would be no funeral service, no obituary. Nothing.

When some of The Friends™ found the idea disturbing, mother said "I'll throw a party when he's Resurrected™."

With half my siblings in and the other half out, it was rather a relief. I was dreading having to deal with the infomercial and the self-righteous BS from the JWs.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Just had another yesterday in the local hall. No services, estranged family. Died in care home, few if any visitors. Not sure but he may have died alone, complete with dementia which comes and goes, maybe nobody holding his hand. Im guilty there too

What bugs me is the better off comments. True no pain or worries and ( big if) there is a resurrection hope. I was told the same for my dog. Damnit! Not better off, just NOT.

Another losing an adult child, not a witness. So no attending the funeral; why did I ask?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I’ll certainly give credit where it’s due. Surprisingly my JW grandfathers funeral was a delight. One of my unbelieving uncles requested that the service not be too religious, and the elder doing it abliged. I would say the mix was about 50/50. Which I thought was fair as JWisim played such a big part in his life. It was truly a delight, and I commented that to the elder who gave the talk. There was lots of food and laughing, all supplied by the congregation, and it was a chance to catch up with all the ones I hadn’t seen in years. I’d give it a 10/10.
  • under the radar
    under the radar

Scully, please check your private messages. Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit