No funeral

by road to nowhere 18 Replies latest jw friends

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I have run across another JW death where the final wishes are for no service. 3rd or 4th instance. Another wanted a celebration of life which the elders squelched as far as I know. If the family did one we were not told.

Are these pimo people? Or disappointed in the false promises?

Years ago an elderly man converted, his family stated they would not attend a memorial so the elders refused to do any service because there was no one to witness to. That really hurt his friends at the hall.

I fully intend to not have a talk. Cheese, wine, and a few memories. As stated here before, JW funerals are the worst. Be it noted that a family does not get closure without some sort of remembrance.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

My Father's Funeral was a Joke. The first five minutes where about my Dad, then the remainder was all about What the Org can do. And if you use to be in the Org you need to hurry up and get back into the Org. There was alot of non Jw's at my Dad's service. And some of us where in a group outside talking that this was just a "Plug" for this group to get new members. And how very tacky it was to use a dead member's family to have to listen to that crap.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FOOLEDNOMORE:

Sorry to hear your father’s funeral was just an infomercial about the religion.

That seems to be the norm that they spend about five minutes talking about the deceased - and the remainder of the time is all about attracting people to the JW religion. I have to laugh about what you said about them saying if somebody used to be in the org. they should ‘hurry up’ and get back.🤣 For what? So they can be asked for money? ..I’d have to have my head examined.. Although it probably happens once in a while - probably because the person is lonely or longs for the good old days when they had some friendships going there. But, I’m sure they would be disillusioned very soon.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have known a couple of instances in recent times where there was no funeral as such. The family just handed the body to the undertaker to cremate alone. They still had a K/hall memorial meeting though, a little later.

• fulano
    fulano

The funeral talk is the worst talk to do. I had to do one in our assignment where a lovely five or six years old girl, daughter of a believing mother and a non JW man who worked in the USA, died of meningitis.

The father came over and wasnt really fond of having a talk in the kingdom hall. I had to go far beyond the outlines so it wouldnt be offensive to the father. Horrible hè looking at me when talking about his little daughter and she would have a resurrection.

Horrible for me knowing hè didnt believe me.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

They use the wake as an opportunity to deliver a sermon. And yes, it's very classless.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I've seen this trend and have personally experienced it. I believe this is an attempt to avoid exposure. The WT has weaponized family members against each other. They have caused an unbelievable amount of damage and hurt to people. Old time JW's are embarrassed that some of their kids have left and joined real churches. If they don't have a funeral, they can always later tell shunned family members that they weren't singled out, and that "there was no funeral".

Later, just the JW's can get together amongst themselves and regurgitate WT delusions about waking up in paradise petting Panda bears. I mean just imagine the discomfort that would be caused if someone showed up and casually quoted Hebrews 9: 27 or Rev. 20: 5 during a conversation. Imagine someone asking the test question: "What congregation do you go to", and they get the answer, "I go to Lighthouse Baptist Church". Too embarrassing.

JW families are not the monolithic edifices they once were. They are crumbling and MANY former members are going elsewhere, not the least of which is "the whore of Babylon". Oh! The family shame.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

In recent years they did adjust the outline to include more about the deceased.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Blues. I meant funeral in the general sense of remembrance. I cant remember the last time the body was present or displayed.

Nowwhat. The adjustment was barely an improvement. I really hated the: "so and so wanted me to tell you---". No he didn't. The last memorial at the hall actually had applause like a sunday talk. Tacky! The zoom messes were even worse.

A wake ( surely pagan), or celebration of life is better.

As I said, some people seem to be pimo and their last wishes reflect it. I am because of family, especially the old ones who need the delusion intact. If I am donated, stuffed, frozen; I wont b e there to witness it.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Neither of my parents wanted any type of "memorial" service. Their reasons were well stated and I fully agree with their sentiments.

"If they didn't care about us before we died, we don't want them pretending that they cared after we die!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit