Hospital is laying off and furloughing

by Anony Mous 14 Replies latest social current

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I've been having a tough time today, I just got notice that our hospital is laying off a large group of people and furloughing others.

Nurses, doctors, we just don't have enough business during this COVID crisis, we've only ran at 60% capacity, while Cuomo is telling us about shortages, they weren't ever realized, and NYS simply won't open up fast enough for us to recover. NYS has given notice that hospitals are likely going to be out for 4-5 more months before all restrictions will be lifted, only necessary surgeries are allowed right now, with a few hundred of millions per month revenue shortfall, this is going to destroy and contract our business and our remote (rural) hospitals are the hardest hit, probably going to close permanently.

We've gotten maybe about 10% of 1 month lost revenue from the government. Medicaid won't reimburse for COVID-19 pointing at Medicare and the Feds, insurances have notified they won't cover for the Medicare shortfall like they've done in the past, private insurance used to cover 130% to make up for Medicaid/Medicare shortages, for COVID they will only cover 'real costs'.

So I'm having a meeting tomorrow about laying off and furloughing people, team mates, people reporting to me, entire divisions and wings will be closed. Whiskey, lemon juice and triple sec since ~3pm. Good luck if you're in NYS, your hospitals are about to fail. Not sure if this is the precursor to government takeover or if we're just going to let people die in the streets. We're the biggest in the area, if we fail, everyone else does as well.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

OMG. Sorry. IDK what to say, but you have my condolences and good luck.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sorry to hear that , I guess this isn't surprising being that many Hospitals dramatically reduced their operating activity in general.

The bright side to this is that when the restrictions are lifted and Hospitals return to their normal activity they will be busy places for sure.

• waton
    waton

elective surgeries, knee and hips that were cancelled will have to be done eventually, and that should provide work.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@finkelstein and @waton: That may be true, but most care systems were already running on razor thin margins. We're a non-profit after all. We don't have the capital to operate for 6 months+ without revenue, which is what the government is forcing us into. And all the promises from both sides of the aisle don't mean s**t when it's held up in legislative red tape and you have to tell your team, sorry, don't come in for 2-3 months, go on unemployment, and I hope I'll see you at the other end.

• waton
    waton

AM, we both, f&w, are just north of your quitter from Vermont, that wanted to simplify your health/ hospital system to one payer, as we have here. Hospitals in Canada are quasi governmental institutions.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been close to medical care all my life (father, brother, sister all docs). Rural hospitals are going to be really hard pressed to get through this. Where in NY are you? I grew up in Cooperstown, its only by fluke deal that we had a real hospital there.

• MeanMrMustard
  • Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Update: We are laying off 20% of our staff. As the region's largest employer, we're talking 6000 people.

We had a little over 1000 cases of COVID, less than 100 dead in our facilities, total surge capacity: 1099 extra beds. As punishment for us doubling capacity and NYC still being a hellhole right now, we are destroying 6000 people's livelihoods and many dependent businesses.

NY governor Cuomo did not agree with our plan to re-open the facilities partially and told us to prepare to stand down for 4 more months, which means we are effectively going out of business by decree. If this holds across the entire state, this is effectively going to result in a government takeover of healthcare and the largest disaster in NYS.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I am in the Midwest. SSM Health System is furloughing 2,000 employees in their 4 state system. I work for one of the 2 big labs (Labcorp). Quest already furloughed 4,000 (9%) for 2 weeks. We haven't YET, despite huge drops in testing. SSM is our biggest client in St. Louis. I figure I am safe...probably, but hell, I'd make more in unemployment than working and the company would pay all my insurance to boot. My son is getting $651 week....for a minimum wage job!

What a mess. The health care system as we know it is forever changed. For better or worse remains to be seen.

Back to work, might pick up some more COVID specimens.

Snakes (Rich)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit