Proverbs 4:18 "light gets brighter"

by stuckinarut2 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Just installed wifi controlled lights in house which can be controlled by smartphone, putting certain lights on or off or even dimming them.

Perhaps GB now have doctrinal new light bulbs that they can switch at will or dim or glow as needed. Control whole earth of JW light at will and instantly, even changing colour of light showing, the GB really beat technology over this as they can manipulate, switch on or off ar will any teaching they want and have been able to for quite some time. End users rarely notice change in the light that flows to them.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Even if the scripture meant what the organization says it does, the doctrine is not applied accordingly.

I always appreciated this comparison -

Light getting brighter (what it means)

I see an object. It looks like a car. It's a 4-door sedan. It's a blue 4-door sedan. It's a blue Toyota sedan.

Light getting brighter (as it really happens with the WBTS)

Jesus said drive a car. Jesus said drive a 4-door sedan. Jesus said drive a Cadillac. A Cadillac is a showy display of one's means, so drive a Ford Focus. Jesus walked everywhere he went, so don't drive - walk!

• Londo111
    Londo111

In many cases, Watchtower does not interpret the Bible contextually (exegesis).

This verse in particular is taken out of context. It is simply about two paths of behavior an individual might take.

• millie210
    millie210

Yes, like was mentioned above, the scripture isnt saying "new light" as JWs are so fond of saying.

As light gets brighter it merely fleshes out details of what was already there. It doesnt change what was there completely or take off in another direction entirely.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dead right Londo111, I even pointed this out when I was a JW ! no one was in the least bothereed though, they seemed to think it was alright, because the WT used it that way ! so that made it O.K !

It is also interesting to note that, as with the majority of the Proverbs, there is no mention of YHWH, or of being a worshiper of Big J, because these proverbs were collected from many sources, most non Yahweh worshipers, I would guess.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Ever read up on the teaching of the men of Sodom and Gomorrah?

That is most definitely not "light getting brighter"

It's more like 'clap on clap off'.......remember the clapper? Grandma would clap her hands twice to shut off or turn on her light.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

@OP

Yes, I've made that point many times to some JWs. That chapter is about learning, not teaching. It doesn't say that teaching truth is normally done progressively, that would be idiotic.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, If I am in a dark room and am holding a cat, as the light gets brighter or switches on, I am not suddenly holding a turtle!

Since when does "new light" change the very teaching itself?

And yet that is what the society has done over the years...

• Half banana
    Half banana

The JW culture involves uttering little Bible or Watchtower sound bites to each other to make sure they are still in the faith. The original meaning of these sayings is irrelevant as they are made only with reference to the myth which the org has attributed to them.

If spiritual light really was always getting brighter, it would have become incandescent by now! Instead the GB are still madly searching for doctrines which last more than a handful of years and their fundamental beliefs like 1914 are clearly based on wrong assumptions and wrong historical dates.

Wakey wakey Jehovah's Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit