Regulating speech and conversation

by slimboyfat 31 Replies latest members private

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah, DF;ed people aren't supposed to talk to one another, if they want to get reinstated.

I remember a big brouhaha 15-20 years ago - 2 DF'ed kids (well young adults anyway) were seen walking thru the KH parking lot after a meeting. They had the temerity - the nerve - the unmitigated gall - to be laughing as well.

Both were sternly lectured NOT to talk to one another, if they had any hope to be reinstated.

• compound complex
    compound complex

25. JWs aren't allowed to make toasts. -- SBF

25. JWs aren't allowed to make toast, unless it's whole wheat. -- CC

Both [young, disfellowshipped adults] were sternly lectured NOT to talk to one another, if they had any hope to be reinstated. -- sir82

A young friend was seeking reinstatement and he, too, was admonished not to talk to disfellowshipped friends. He was expected to follow an unrealistic list of regulations, that to prove his sincerity.

He decided to remain dfed. His entire family is out.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Cults gonna micromanage.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

The GB micro-manage everything their 'membership' is to say and do. It's the very reason why many feel so repressed. It's no wonder there is so much mental illness among the witnesses.

Thanks SBF for reminding us and giving a sample of some the type of control this organisation has over so many people's lives.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

52. Don't praise musicians or sportspeople too much in case it's creature worship.

53. A woman shouldn't contradict her husband in front of others but should question him in private.

54. Don't use words that indicate alternative epistemological perspectives (Oedipal complex, class consciousness, holy mystery).

55. Don't tell lies, unless the person you are lying to does not deserve the truth.

56. You can tell family and spouse you love them but you can't tell them that you love them as much as you love Jehovah and his organisation.

57. Don't use local dialect from the platform or during the meeting. (I don't know if this is universal but it's certainly local. A brother was counselled for saying "deaf" to rhyme with reef instead of ref, for example.)

58. Don't wish people a happy birthday.

59. Don't say a patriotic pledge of allegiance.

60. Avoid talking to psychotherapists or counsellors if you can help it.

61. If you must talk to a mental health professional don't mention the JW religion in any negative way.

62. You must inform your doctors that you will not accept blood ahead of time.

63. You shouldn't stand outside the convention and gossip during the programme.

64. In fact you should stop talking and take your seats before the opening musical presentation.

65. You can use the word "lord" for Jesus when you read a scripture but if you use it too much in regular comments/conversation that is suspect.

66. You can say "happy new year" if you mean "I hope you have a good year" but not if you mean "I hope you have a great party and get steaming drunk on Hogmanay".

67. You can't talk friendly or alone with someone you are not free to marry of the opposite sex.

68. Although we ask you to raise your hand if you disagree with a congregation expense resolution we don't expect you to ever actually say anything.

69. You shouldn't take your coffee and gossip break during the ministry too early. Less than an hour after starting is definitely too early.

70. If a householder asks something you don't have a prepared answer for, do not answer with your own ideas. Instead stop the conversation immediately and go away and find the official answer before proceeding.

71. Don't just talk to people your own age or similar to you at the KH. Talk to people of different ages, interests and backgrounds. (This in itself is no bad idea, but it also serves an organisational ideological function: it reminds all members that their connection to each other is primarily shared commitment to the organisation rather than shared interests or natural friendship)

72. Don't talk to researchers who are investigating JWs, direct them to the publications or the branch instead.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

This may fall under #48, but

Don't complain if you have to travel farther to your kingdom hall if your congregation is dissolved or merged.

Fabulous list SBF!

• Chook
    Chook

When you think about the the amount of Israelite laws which Christ criticised and replaced with 2 laws love god and love your neighbors. JWs have a written and unwritten rules that literally would go into multiple hundreds . My mother in law puts a napkin on her head when praying at meal times. Laws rules suggestions encouragement admonition , it’s nothing but a high control cult tightening the screws continually.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    28. JWs can talk about sexual and violent topics in the meeting in front of all ages

an addition to that should be unless it's coming from the stage during one of the meetings. When I was Junior High School age whih was in the early 70's one Sunday just about the entire Washtowel study was about oral sex, first time I've ever heard of it, I remember sitting next to a friend and we were practically giggling through the whole study. What about the precocious 5 and 6 year old that were there listening to that? Can you imagine the questions when they got home from the meeting? The Borg is so full of hypocrisy, don't even go on a date without a chaperone, but they can discuss oral sex what it is and why married couples shouldn't do it in front of kids of all ages, not to mention some adults who aren't comfortable hearing talk like that.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

Examples that spring to mind?

I wonder how long the list would be if you had time to think about it.

Good list.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Shirley that was my point, that they feel they can talk about those things from the platform in front of children. Not just sex, but putting pegs through people's brains and all sorts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit