BBC Programme Re. Contaminated Blood - Dub Blinkers

by BluesBrother 29 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08qhmhc/panorama-contaminated-blood-the-search-for-the-truth

An experienced J W of my acquaintance , who had best be nameless, urged me to watch this T V programme because it "Proves The Society were right all along in warning of the dangers of blood.

Well, yes , it does in a way demonstrate that the potential dangers of blood products was not fully recognized. In particular this is shown in respect of the AIDS/HIV virus which was a new threat when it occurred.

There were some important points deliberately ignored by my dub associate , though :

1) this happened decades ago. A solution was quickly found and the problem should have been minimised . The scandal is the slowness of remedial action and the cover-up.

2) The subjects of the programme had received Factor Eight for Haemophilia . This serum was allowed by the WTS at the time (as a conscience matter) and ,of course still is today.

3) The current version of the Advance Medical Document ,the "Blood Card", does not even allow for the total abstainer. It just states that as a J W you refuse blood, and the main four components . No choices , just sign it and give The Secretary a copy....

So this means that if such a risk should still occur again, Jehovah's Witnesses are just as much in danger as anybody else. Watchtower policy does not protect them. Yet still I hear the statements from individuals about how much they are protected by being "in the Truth".

What is the matter ?Are they blinkered ?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I believe there is a 24 hour embargo on my topic which I think expires around 16.00 EDT, 14 May

10 May 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5W56h8bqUA

BBC Breakfast News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3MViy-oXo

The Victoria Derbyshire Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7_gK5p3XE0

Watchtower 1 June 1990, page 31

Questions From Readers: Do Jehovah’s Witnesses accept injections of a blood fraction, such as immune globulin or albumin?

Others have felt that a serum (antitoxin), such as immune globulin, containing only a tiny fraction of a donor’s blood plasma and used to bolster their defense against disease, is not the same as a life-sustaining blood transfusion. So their consciences may not forbid them to take immune globulin or similar fractions. [FOOTNOTE: One example is Rh immune globulin, which doctors may recommend when there is Rh incompatibility between a woman and her fetus. Another is Factor VIII, which is given to hemophiliacs.] They may conclude that for them the decision will rest primarily on whether they are willing to accept any health risks involved in an injection made from others’ blood.

Watchtower 15 June 2000, page 29

Questions From Readers: Do Jehovah’s Witnesses accept any medical products derived from blood?
    For example, clotting factor VIII has been given to hemophiliacs, who bleed easily... Such therapies are not transfusions of those primary components; they usually involve parts or fractions thereof. Should Christians accept these fractions in medical treatment? We cannot say. The Bible does not give details, so a Christian must make his own conscientious decision before God.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Bluesbrother: There were some important points deliberately ignored by my dub associate , though :
    1) this happened decades ago. A solution was quickly found and the problem should have been minimised . The scandal is the slowness of remedial action and the cover-up.
    2) The subjects of the programme had received Factor Eight for Haemophilia . This serum was allowed by the WTS at the time (as a conscience matter) and ,of course still is today.
    3) The current version of the Advance Medical Document ,the "Blood Card", does not even allow for the total abstainer. It just states that as a J W you refuse blood, and the main four components . No choices , just sign it and give The Secretary a copy....
    So this means that if such a risk should still occur again, Jehovah's Witnesses are just as much in danger as anybody else. Watchtower policy does not protect them. Yet still I hear the statements from individuals about how much they are protected by being "in the Truth".
    What is the matter ?Are they blinkered?

Yes, they are blinkered. Or, more likely - blindfolded.

The WT has put a quasi scientific spin on their so-called religious doctrine on blood for so long now that even the legal and 'outside' medical community has been blinkered. And blindsided.

The so-called blood doctrine has changed and evolved in exactly the same ways that the bloodless industry (now evolved into "patient blood management") has demanded it to change. The parameters of the blood doctrine match, not the Bible from which the WT claims it comes from, but, rather, the parameters of Patient Blood Management. With one crucial difference. The JW patient cannot have that life-saving transfusion if they bleed out uncontrollably.

I wish I could find the source and quote of what I am about to say - but it is alluding me at the moment. The one single industry that profited the most from the HIV/AIDS blood scandal was the bloodless industry (I know I have the source for this somewhere...). That is the industry that made the most money from contaminated blood.

And where the seed money for that industry come from? Well...I think we all know the answer to that. For those of you who don't, this is a quote from Scott Carney's The Red Market (pg 235):

...certain religious groups - most notably Jehovah's Witnesses - were opposed to any sort of blood transfusion. Over the years the complete lack of demand among these people led to private investment and eventually to great strides forward in the field of bloodless surgeries. At first doctors wasted blood in order to gain more surgical sophistication; however, when they could not extend the benefits of routine procedures to everyone, the prohibition of blood use created a boom in technologies that reduced blood loss across the board.

Private investment? Of course - wealthy and speculative Jehovah's Witnesses. Profiting off the blood ban. Profiting from the HIV/AIDS tainted blood scandal. Someone somewhere made a LOT of money from investing in the bloodless industry. And I bet that whoever they were/are, make large donations to the WTS. (California investment in the "pioneer" of bloodless surgery - hospitals and insurance programs - owned by JWs...etc, etc)

And about that "boom in technologies". The technology that the so-called bloodless industry relies on would not exist if not for blood transfusion technology. The entire bloodless industry is built on the back of existing blood technology - without blood transfusions, there would be no bloodless surgery.

So, how does that fit into the notion that Jehovah doesn't want people to share blood? Did he just sit up there watching all those poor misguided people having blood transfusions and then said..."Oh look! That blood transfusion technology - that thing I told my people not to do - is something that people can use now to avoid blood sharing! Yay! My JWs are so smart - they can now show the world how smart they have been all along!" (and just think of the profits that can be donated to Jehovah).

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Yup I watched that - it was very illuminating.

i honestly think blood medicine will be replaced by other methods eventually so this issue will no longer be a problem for Jehovah's witnesses - hopefully that day will come soon

• cofty
    cofty

Blood transfusions have risks - in other news the Pope has confirmed he is a Catholic.

JWs do not refuse blood for medical reasons but for reasons related to their religious superstitions. If blood was 100% safe they would still let their children die.

• steve2
    steve2

JWs try to have their arguments "both" ways. "We refuse blood transfusions on Scriptural grounds" and then when questioned about this, switch to the medical risks of transfusions but when questioned about this switch back to Scriptural grounds.

All medical treatments have risks - it doesn't mean they should be banned. Questions centre around how have/are the risks been/being addressed? What are the Pros and Cons of accepting versus refusing? Have the risks reduced over time? Under specific circumstances, what alternatives are available? The introduction of autologous transfusions was not applauded by JW organization - it led to lots of tortured reasoning about not using your own blood. What could be safer?!

Yet, hemophiliac JWs' consciences can guide them to utilize Factor 8 - the blood clotting component derived from multiple donors. And, of course, non-hemophiliac JWs cannot donate blood even for that purpose. Hypocrites.

To JWs this has never ever been about medical risks or otherwise. It is about bolstering an unfounded literal interpretation of ancient writings.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Ruby: i honestly think blood medicine will be replaced by other methods eventually

Can you expand on that? What do you mean by that? And....why do you think that?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I can recall another Panorama episode that witnesses will run away from and refuse to watch, all the while condemning it as "biased journalism "

Hmmm....selective much?

• Simon
    Simon
    I believe there is a 24 hour embargo on my topic which I think expires around 16.00 EDT, 14 May

What are you on about?

• steve2
    steve2

Whatever that means, man, it sounds highly important.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit