Ice Skating on Eiffel Tower?

by peacefulpete 13 Replies latest jw friends

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

My wife and I are heading to Paris for Christmas this year. It's a landmark year for all sorts of reasons, milestone anniversary her milestone birthday, and my recovery. She loves ice skating. Has anyone first hand knowledge about ice skating on Eiffel tower? It would seem to be a straightforward question but surprisingly it's not. The official website says nothing, a number of tour sites say yes and one skating website says no.

Apart from that, what would you recommend to see or do in winter there. We are going to the Louvre of course, any favorite places/restaurants etc.???

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Ice skating the Eiffel Tower would be amazing! My wife grew up around ice skating and would love that too. Let us know if it works out.

We were in Paris near Christmas once, and if the weather permits, walking around the (main) streets at night is fun because all the shops have lights and displays.

Figure out the subway system (ahead of time if possible) and you'll go all over Paris with no problem.

Of course, there's a ton of museums, my favorite is the Cluny with Middle Ages stuff.

If they are open this time of year, Marche Monge and one of the several Marche Puces (flea markets) can be interesting.

Fauchon is a store with fancy foods, candies etc., great for gifts.

Restaurants, well, like most big cities there's a lot of choice and they come and go. Our favorite thing is to go to a bakery and get bread (or croissants or whatever), then a cheese shop, then charcuterie and go have a picnic. Get yourself a French knife like Opinel or Laguiole for your food.

For us, what has always been fun in Paris, is to just walk and explore, without doing google searches (just maps when we're lost lol), just really explore. You'll stumble on things that you wont find on the interwebs. Cool little hole in the wall shops, restaurants. Last time we found an archaeological site that went back to Roman times. It was really interesting, they gave tours, but had no internet presence.

Hey, while you're at it, since you are a car guy, could you pick me up a Citroen 2CV? Preferably the van version since I could probably figure out a way to write that one off. TIA!

Have a great time!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

You sound like our kind of people. Funny we are planning a 2CV tour around town. KInda worried that the air cooled car may be cold. Thanks for suggestions

• Simon
    Simon

When I saw the topic title my first thought was "that seems like a bad idea, you're going to really pick up some speed!"

• Dagney
    Dagney

I really love Paris. Congratulations to you both for celebrating some meaningful milestones.

All the museums are great, and my favorite cathedral is https://www.sainte-chapelle.fr/en/ Amazing artistry in stained glass.

I love neighborhood bistros, whatever is on the chalkboard for the day, Prix fixe. I agree get the baguette at the bakery, cheese at the cheese shop etc., be sure and have crepes from a street vendor.

the opera house is magnificent. One tip is to get a pass and take the bus to tour the city and different neighborhoods. The subway is efficient, but on the bus you see the city. I also think a boat ride on the Seine is worth it.

itโ€™s a magical city. Again congrats and safe travels.

• waton
    waton

The expression " on [top of] the Eiffel tower" refers more to following the reflections on the ground level patinoire, than doing pirouettes on the pinnacle. i m h o

• LV101
    LV101

Bofingers Restaurant in the Bastille area was excellent and also one of Emeril's faves. Not sure if it's still great.

Sounds like a great trip for Christmas.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the day i went to the eiffel tower the queues were horrendous. It was bitterly cold in february. I didnt bother.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Have a great day and hope all goes well for you both.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Have a wonderful time! ๐Ÿ˜€

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit