Breaking News

by DJ 19 Replies latest social current

• DJ
    DJ

CNN is reporting that the "shock and awe" campaign has begun.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Maybe something to do with the 8 B52 bombers that took off from the UK this lunchtime?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2871915.stm

• DJ
    DJ

Ang,

I suppose it's likely. I have no idea how long it takes to get from the UK to Iraq. The tiltle "shock and awe" is a bit upsetting, isn't it? I pray that Iraqi civilians are safe as well as our troops. Someday, I hope that it is possible to rid the world of murderous dictators in a simpler manner to ensure the safety of the innocent. Dj

• rocketman
    rocketman

I've just heard the same thing on the radio.

• DJ
    DJ

It's odd that at the same time they are reporting that there are negotiations going on between Iraqi officials and the US and the UK. This hardly sounds logical if Saddam is still alive. Who knows what's going on.....Perhaps an agreement can still be made.

• DJ
    DJ

I guess not. Bagdad is lit up.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I too, heard the latest news after returning to my desk after lunch break--but even in the "news" there seems to be some different views as to exactly what occured. It appears that the troops have now taken protective control over the southern oil fields, so they will be safe from being set on fire. In itself, this is a big thing. Hundreds of initial resisters have surrendered.

Also, massive strikes continue in Bagdad and other strategic points, and though it may "look like" the whole city is being attacked and being destroyed, I don't believe this is happening. It is a matter of "perception". Careful planning has gone into "where" to make these precision strikes, and to do as much as possible to lessen the loss to civilian life of innocents. Also, supplies are forthcoming for the care of the population as to human needs. But innocent people, men, women and children are going to be injured or affected by what is happening. These people will have to pay a price for freedom. We certainly did in our own history.

This just goes to show, that "shock and awe" may simply be the fact that in this modern day we can actually go to war in a different way. Instead of a blood bath by a complete and all-out attack that would essentially destroy the city of Bagdad and ruin the main city of a country already oppressed, great thought is given to keeping more of it in tact for the people of Iraq once their oppressors are gone and the people are liberated. It appears that more appropriate form of military activities can be employed to cut off communications from the leaders and simply move in little by little, as the internal structure of control is removed.

This is just my observation of the events as I see them on TV reports and hear the news updates. As you know, we are only shown and told what it is that our government wishes us to be privy to.

• Xander
    Xander

Hey Saddam!

• logical
    logical
    Someday, I hope that it is possible to rid the world of murderous dictators in a simpler manner to ensure the safety of the innocent.

Yes, it would be nice to get rid of Bush without innocent suffering and dying.

• rem
    rem

Logical,

Someday, I hope that it is possible to rid the world of murderous dictators in a simpler manner to ensure the safety of the innocent.
    Yes, it would be nice to get rid of Bush without innocent suffering and dying.

I'm no fan of Bush, but to equate him to a murderous dictator is just plain stupid and betrays your ignorance of what true murderous dictators such as Saddam Hussein are really like. rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit