Dinah: what bad association?

by acsot 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JT
    JT
    My comment on the biblical account (leaving WTS interpretations aside) ... it shows how low women were in the bible.

you got that right

• blondie
    blondie

Actually women were considered property.

Husbands were called owners in the Old Testament.

Ever wonder why it was a death penalty for a man to have sex with another man's wife or with an engaged woman but not a single woman? Because a wife or engaged woman are considered property, owned by a man but a single woman is not.

Blondie

• sandy
    sandy

A book Club is a great idea! I always wanted to start one. I love reading crime stories and biographies.

If anybody starts one let me know, I would love to join.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

acsot,

glad you brought that out. I also was at the meeting this week and heard that talk. Every time I hear that account about Dinah I get a sick feeling in my gut.

Wt always uses that story as a scare tactic for the youth.

Seems to me it was not against her will, and she was not raped.

Funny how WT never focuses on the orrendeous acts of her brothers.

• l3gi0n
    l3gi0n

Genesis 34 (NLT)

2 But when the local prince, Shechem son of Hamor the Hivite, saw her, he took her and raped her

Genesis 34 (NIV)
    2 When Shechem the son of Hamor (1) the Hivite, the prince of the land, saw her, he took her and lay with her by force.

Genesis 34 (MSG)
    2 Shechem, the son of Hamor the Hivite who was chieftain there, saw her and raped her.

Genesis 34 (AMP)
    2 And when Shechem son of Hamor the Hivite, prince of the country, saw her, he seized her, lay with her, and humbled, defiled, and disgraced her.

Genesis 34 (NLT)
    2 But when the local prince, Shechem son of Hamor the Hivite, saw her, he took her and raped her.

Genesis 34 (KJV)
    2 And when Shechem the son of Hamor the Hivite, prince of the country, saw her, he took her, and lay with her, and defiled her.

Compare, Compare, Compare

• berylblue
    berylblue
    indistinct, subliminal undercurrent that I eventually came to understand was the Society's and organization's utter contempt toward women. No opportunity is ever passed on to take a swipe at the female gender. The "account" of Dinah is just one more in a long list.

This is, sadly, true. The only point the WTS ever bothered emphasizing was how Dinah's bad associations resulted in rape. As someone posted earlier, we women are always responsible for our own abuse, in the eyes of the WTS.

Beryl

• berylblue
    berylblue
    indistinct, subliminal undercurrent that I eventually came to understand was the Society's and organization's utter contempt toward women. No opportunity is ever passed on to take a swipe at the female gender. The "account" of Dinah is just one more in a long list.

This is, sadly, true. The only point the WTS ever bothered emphasizing was how Dinah's bad associations resulted in rape. As someone posted earlier, we women are always responsible for our own abuse, in the eyes of the WTS.

Beryl

• archangel01
    archangel01

I alway wonder that too about Dinah. Also why did they kill all the males it doesn't make sense, unless it was a gang bang LOL. Anyway folks if he did rape her then just him alone should be put to death right. However after reading it, it seem she wanted to sleep with him and was not a rape. Remember people in the 1950's couldn't even say the word sex/ talk about it out loud, can you imag. how it was way back then!!!!! I think she had sex of her own free will and why would the scripture put in that he was a good man etc. I guess this is prove that the wts changed the Hew. text as well to fit there believes

• simplesally
    simplesally

Blue Sapphire, I ordered The Rent Tent tonight on Barnes and Nobles site.....hope its good reading!

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Blue Saphire and Simple Sally,

I just read it and I loved it. My daughter read it and loved it. As a matter of fact, she said to me that Dinah's brothers were nuts to do such an awful thing. Out of the mouth of a babe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit