Get-together on Saturday night and study the Watchtower!

by MoeJoJoJo 20 Replies latest jw friends

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Do you remember those? Did anyone actually enjoy doing that?

Some friends would say "Hey, we're having a get together" and I would say sure we'll be there, then they'd say "Oh, be sure and bring your Watchtower!" Yeah, that was loads of fun.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I got caught once with that kind of invitation. Man, we had enough studying to do! BTW, have you noticed that every "get-together" had to have some kind of gimmick surrounding it? It could never be a bunch of people just getting together to talk -- there were always games or Watchtower study, or SOMETHING, like we couldn't carry on intelligent conversation for a few hours. I hated it. It seemed so juvenile. All I wanted to do was go out for a quiet, adult dinner with other adults.

Recently I was talking to a friend of mine, who like me is knocking on the door of 50 in a couple of years, and she was enthusiastically describing a "singles" party she was going to give with a Hawaiian theme -- everyone was going to dress up in Hawaiian clothes, grass skirts and such, and they had some wonderful games to play. Goodness, I don't miss that! Don't get me wrong, I don't mind costume parties, but not every time I go out!

Nina

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

A bunch of us would do that. We'd knock off the WT regurgitation study and then watch some movie we'd rented. It was funner then staying at home, anyway.

• blondie
    blondie

The get-together to study the WT has stringent restrictions. Only 2 families at one time can get together. More than that is a large group with the potential of becoming an apostate study group. No more than 2 single people and both must be of the same gender. A group of 3 or more single people is a potential apostate study group. This rule came out around 1981, during the "apostate" years. You could get together and play cards, watch videos, play board games, but no spiritual activities.

Blondie

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Nina, I agree, what's wrong about just having pleasant conversation, and I hated those Bible games too.

Blondie, your hall must have really had some apostate 'problems'. Geez, talk about controlling people's lives!

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

Yeah I remember ... the young ones I used to get together with were using a watchtower study as an excuse to get together. It was tough though .. we werent allowed to finish before the hour was up ... but afterwards would be glassfulls of coke and movies and chips and during summer off to the beach. It was a real mock up though. In the end we didnt learn anything and we giggled all the way through the study. m0nk3y

• blondie
    blondie

Actually informal group WT studies were pretty much cancelled in the district. I can't speak for anywhere else. That was during the time when many were DF'd from Bethel and Ray Franz left. There was a witch hunt atmosphere. Even now, groups to study the WT are frowned upon. All elder bodies are control freaks.

Blondie

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Back in 1983 there were a few of the twenty-something young people who would get together to study the WT. There were MS's and pioneers there, along with the rest of us. It was young people from various halls in the city. A great way to meet, and get to know other people.

They put a stop to it pretty fast.

Stan

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Poor dubbies, they are supposed to eat, sleep, and breathe their religion, but aren't allowed to discuss the Bible together away from the Kingdom Hall.

blondie, I did not know those rules were in effect, but I remember on occasion, studying the WT with other Witnesses in their homes, but we discussed only the WT. Maybe our elders weren't as strict or they never knew.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

Wow! The memories that this thread brings up. I totally forgot about my own experience until now. I remember 4 families that would get together on Wednesday nights to study the 'Witchpower'. Every Wednesday night we would alternate the homes we would study in. We were all from different congregations so the drive to anothers house could be 40 minutes or so away.

Anyway, at some point we were told that this was not right....that we should "cease and desist". Huh?

How is it wrong to get together to study?

The machinations of this cult never ceases to amaze me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit