Our Friends - Now and Forever!

by Farkel 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

As many of you know, I'm a huge fan of Thomas Jefferson. I'm currently reading a book called "The Portable Jefferson." It has only the briefest of Jefferson's biography (a mere 41 pages), with the bulk of its nearly 600 pages devoted to copies of Jefferson's speeches, and letters. I came across a letter he wrote to then-President James Monroe, and I was (once-again) stunned by the magnificent foresight this man had. The letter was dated October 24, 1823, nearly 180 years ago, and is more of a "prophecy" than anything the WTS has babbled.

These words of 180 years ago are most timely, considering our greatest and longest ally is fulfilling the thoughts of this man made so long ago:

"Great Britain is the nation which can do us the most harm of any one, or all on earth; and with her on our side we need not fear the whole world. With her then, we should most sedulously cherish a cordial friendship; and nothing would tend more to knit our affections than to be fighting once more, side by side, in the same cause. Not that I would purchase even her amity at the price of taking part in her wars. But the war in which the present proposition might engage us, should that be its consequence, is not her war, but ours. Its object is to introduce and establish the American system, of keeping out of our land all foreign powers, of never permitting those of Europe to intermeddle with the affairs of our nations. It is to maintain our own principle, not to depart from it. And if, to facilitate this, we can effect a division in the body of the European powers, and draw over to our side its most powerful member, surely we should do it. But I am clearly of Mr. Canning's opinion, that it will prevent instead of provoking war. With Great Britain withdrawn from their scale and shifted into that of our two continents, all Europe combined would not undertake such a war."

To all you Brits: you are our treasured friends and allies, through the good and the bad, now and forever!

(Sadaam should be getting the message he needed to by now. Too bad he didn't follow the Official French Military Manual and run like hell! )

Farkel

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

What about us forgotten Aussies???

Mr Howard has been slurping up to Mr Bush for months on this issue and our airforce is over there buzzing around too.Our boys are there with their rucksacks and rifles

• Farkel
    Farkel

RF,

I'm quite aware that Australia and others are also great allies and friends, and that Aussies will be fighting side-by-side with our men in Iraq. My point was to show how wise Jefferson was in seeing what a great mutual benefit exists to have and maintain a close relationship with the Brits.

• Maverick
    Maverick

The Brits are great but they sure need help when it comes to building a decent refrigerator? And what 's the deal with the old Jags? I had to rip out all the British crap and put a good old chevy, 305 V8 and all new wiring. Who was that moron Lucas anyway? Maverick

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I have placed this book on my "must read" list. Thanks!

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Thomas "If you love somebody, buy them at an auction" Jefferson was a brilliant fellow. Not on par with Alexander Hamilton, maybe, but still part of the culmination of the age of reason. Every time I have to go downstairs to get the laundery, I wish I had one of those dumbwaiter things he invented, in my home. Montecello is still technologically years ahead of my townhouse.

Our relationship with the Britts has paid off in coin never imagined. Where would be we without MGB's, Benny Hill reruns, Sid Lives t-shirts and the what's left of the English language? If they hadn't burned down the Presidental Mansion, who is to say why might not be referring to it as the "Slighly Brown House"?

We didn't really help our fish and chip eating brethren much in the Falklands, Aden, or the Suez, but WW1 and WW2 was money, blood, and time well spent. Now at a moments notice we can have Labour party leaders forsake plank and public opinion to follow us in blind devotion on our neofascist crusade to cocacolonize the universe.

"I would remind you that it was presented to us by the Corporation of the town of Sudbury to commemorate Empire Day, when we try to remember the names of all those from the Sudbury area who so gallantly gave their lives to keep China British" -John Cleese

• Farkel
    Farkel

Maverick,

: Who was that moron Lucas anyway?

Lucas finally went bankrupt, and it was about time. They somehow had the strange notion that insulation for copper wires should be water soluable!

By the way, Jaguar is now a world-class vehicle and re-entered that realm even before Ford bought a huge chunk of that company.

Don't forget it was the Brits that gave us the Magna Carta and a vast body of excellent Common Law. Given that, I can forgive the fact that they ever made the MG Midget!

Farkel

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Don't forget it was the Brits that gave us the Magna Carta and a vast body of excellent Common Law. Given that, I can forgive the fact that they ever made the MG Midget!

Ah, Magna Carta!

So she didn't die in vain, then?

Englishman.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

ahhhh the Magna Carta, the greatest thing since English tyrany died in the bum. (at the gallows really)

Of course us Australians started out with the best Parlimentary system in the world. Our founding fathers were very smart and created a great constitution (after spending 1890-1900 pinching and refining the best of US and British and other countries law - the advantage in being a new nation

Unfortunately in recent years our "1648? bill of rights" freedoms have and are being eroded by sell out politicians signing UN treaties and conventions

unclebruce

• Farkel
    Farkel

Unc,

: Unfortunately in recent years our "1648? bill of rights" freedoms have and are being eroded by sell out politicians signing UN treaties and conventions

Don't fret. Bush has made the bunch of keystone cops in the UN the irrelevant fools they deserve to be!

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit