Make the Truth Your Own

by neat blue dog 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

This is something that hit me just relatively recently.

The phrase "Make the truth your own" is a very famous catch phrase in JW culture. It was a pet philosophy of Daniel Sydlik and has been used and is used in talks, literature and song. Every Witness knows this trope. As ingrained as it is, I would venture to say that 99% of JWs if asked would assert that this is a scripture somewhere. But ironically, this phrase or even a thought resembling it appears nowhere in the Bible. Often when the word Truth is used, it's referring to Jesus, a "He" not a 'what' or 'where'. JW's misapplication of this phrase to themselves as a religion (i.e. "come into The Truth") contributed to this. I just think it's telling how a phrase can be repeated so often they start believing it's straight from the Bible.

• sir82
    sir82

it's telling how a phrase can be repeated so often they start believing it's straight from the Bible.

2 Hezekiah 14:27: "It's the end of the month, please turn in your time."

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

😂 give it a hundred years, they'll believe anything has 'always been that way'.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i remember my mother in law saying that to me--not long before i quit. she was totally crazy, a born in. i'm sure she would have eaten a rutherturd in a bread roll.

• sparky1
    sparky1

I have known Witnesses that believed the phrase; "Millions now living will never die.", was an actual scripture in the Bible. I kid you not!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

If WT had the truth, I would make it my own. lol

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I did make the Truth my own, which is why I had to leave the JW's !

• Alive!
    Alive!

In the scriptures, the only truth is the Christ.

I never really felt comfortable with the expression ‘in the truth’ as used by JWs.

it always felt a little ‘off’ to me .....even as a fully committed JW.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Alive! -

Exactly. If you're a Christian you might even view this as a form of sacrilege. They're stealing the designation that is solely Christ's and applying it to themselves . . . like so many other things.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

What the heck does it mean anyway? The truth doesn't belong to anyone, something is either true or false. From memory make the truth your own meant, work yourself to death attending all meetings, be out in FS every day or pioneer, be a ms, an elder, go to bethel and give us your money.

Make the truth your own in my memory meant give your whole life to this religion. It's a cult phrase to trap you into slavery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit