SHUNNING - Unchristian Psychological Torture

by EdenOne 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    As an atheist, the bible is not my guidebook anymore, but the point I am trying to make is that the Watchtower has very little biblical basis for the way they practice shunning.

I gathered this was your point. I just fail to see how you've come to believe this is the case.

There are Muslims who believe the Koran is a book of peace, and tolerance. They'd never hurt anyone. They feel that ISIS has no basis in the Koran for their murderous actions.

Then there are Muslims who believe the Koran is a book that justifies ISIS, and encourages these murderous actions. These Muslims would kill the Muslims first mentioned. They don't see any basis in the Koran for shush passive beliefs.

My point is, you aren't making an effective argument. You're taking a book that can be interpreted countless different ways and interpreting it differently. That's all. From the perspective of a Jehovah's Witness the bible does justify shunning, and you cannot prove it doesn't.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

JD: From the perspective of a Jehovah's Witness the bible does justify shunning, and you cannot prove it doesn't.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

More material added to the article, now on Chapter 8.

Again - if someone has a personal story a poignant experience with shunning and its consequences, please contact me.

Eden

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Eden, I love the parts you've added. The whole section about the 1947 Awake! and the background history of the WTBTS/JWs change on this practice is very important for people to know.

Great work!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    My point is, you aren't making an effective argument. You're taking a book that can be interpreted countless different ways and interpreting it differently. That's all. From the perspective of a Jehovah's Witness the bible does justify shunning, and you cannot prove it doesn't.

As I said in my private message, this is my opinion, which as far as I know I am entitled to have. I gave my reasons, you are free to disagree, but I am not going to be drawn into a debate about it or argue the point, I have better things to do with my time.

But I am wondering why, if my argument was so weak, you sent me a private message and posted the exact same response here twice? It seems like what I said really bothers you, which makes me think that my argument wasn't actually weak at all. Just sayin' .

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    the background history of the WTBTS/JWs change on this practice is very important for people to know.

Especially because the audience I'd like to reach extends beyond JW's and may include law-makers, secular authorities, lawyers, mental health professionals, social workers ... it's important to know what has been said, because, truth be told, the Watchtower Society never retracted one word they said in bashing the DA'd a DF'd. As far as we know, those damning words still stand.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit