Is this plausible?

by JNS2 18 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I know Simon doesn't like us duplicating our comments from one thread to another, but I'm going to repeat here what I said this morning in another thread, because I think that there are a lot of people who still worry that the WTS's prediction of a great cry of "peace and security" might yet come true.

The fact is that the Watchtower's interpretation of 1 Thessalonians 5:3 is totally bogus anyway. The whole point of the text, read in context (excuse me for introducing the context, I know how that plays havoc with Watchtower teachings), is that the day of the Lord will come like a "thief in the night," at a time when no one is expecting it. Christians will not be taken by surprise, however, because they have learned to expect the return of Christ at any time, and to always be prepared for it to happen. But even Christians would not know in advance when it was coming. Jesus told his disciples at Matthew 24:44, "So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." The "you" in that quotation was the disciples, so even they would not know the time in advance. Whenever he comes, unbelievers will be thinking that there is "peace and security," because they have no idea what is coming, and the day will overtake them by surprise.

Nowhere in the text do we read even an implication that there will be a notable cry of "peace and security" by the nations, as a final signal that Armageddon is about to burst forth. That is strictly a fiction invented by the WTS to keep its followers in constant fear and anticipation.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I'm not questioning my reasons for leaving the organization, but the things happening in the world now seem naggingly familiar. Don't they?

Yes they do. They seem almost exactly like what happened during the first Gulf War twelve years ago. Some JWs thought it would escalate into Armageddon, or that Saddam would be defeated and the world would declare "peace and security". That's the only other major war I remember, but it seems they did the same thing for other wars in this century. I know they also did it in 1986, the UN year of Peace and Security. Basically, to an apocalyptic mindset, everything that happens is a fulfillment of prophecy.

People in general have a tendency to think there's something special about the time or place they live in, to see patterns where there are none and to try to find answers to unanswerable questions. Apocalyptic cults are very good at exploiting these traits.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I too am a fade-away, not da'd nor df'd.

Yet because I have learnt the real truth about "the truth", then I have no fear of expecting anything they (the WTS) predict, will come true.

Yes, there is a war going on; yes, they may proclaim "peace and security" if Sadam Hessein is de-throned; yes, there may be a period of relative calm. But as the others have said, this time in world history is no different to more major wars such as WW1 & WW2.

Undercover said it well:

And because the country we live in now is fighting a war, we have the arrogance(or is it ignorance?) to think that this somehow is related to Bible prophesy? That our time period is somehow more important in the stream of time than any other?

So did NeonMadman:

No where in the text do we read even an implication that there will be a notable cry of "peace and security" by the nations, as a final signal that Armageddon is about to burst forth. That is strictly a fiction invented by the WTS to keep its followers in constant fear and anticipation.

This little skermish between Bush and Hussein will end sometime in the next few months. There is nothing to indicate that this war is any more important than any other war that has been fought, past and present. And this war will have no bearing on any Bible scripture either.

Unless you want to think it is. In that case it will be so, because you want it to be.

• greven
    greven

You can find the same sort of discussion here started by a JW called Sword of Jah.

It provides in interesting look into their mindset and anwars your questions aswell.

Greven

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    the beliefs of the WTS about the scenario leading up to Armageddon & I wonder how many of us still think about that kind of thing. I recall the idea that there would be a declaration of peace & security

Oh no, no, no, Jns2!! ALL of this that you mention is part and parcel of Dub teaching, but it has NOTHING to do with what the Bible teaches.

The trouble for many, whether fadeaways or DA or whatever, is that they are still bound by the teachings of the very organisation that they have walked away from. I guess they have the mistaken belief that they are still following a Bible-based teaching and theology. But it ain't so!

If the WTS is worthy of walking away from, so is its unique theology.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Englishman
    Englishman

In 1986 I received a real JW blitzing. Some political wag had made a public reference to Peace and Security. This then, was an indication that the end was nigh, Bro. Hooper, you have a duty to your wife and kids, do you want to be blood-guilty if they die at armageddon? I pointed out to them that they claimed that peace was a sign of the end, war was a sign of the end, their increase was a sign of the end, their persecution was a sign of the end. Everything was a sign of the end.

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    do you want to be blood-guilty if they die at armageddon?

Not blood-guilty, Mike, just the usual guilt-trip.

Ozzie

• JNS2
    JNS2

As usual, the comments here are right on, wise, & helpful. Even recognizing the hold that all the years of programming have had on me, it is still a struggle get over it. What a valuable help this forum is! Thank you all.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

No probs JNS, I had the exact same issues but I posted a thread and had a few e mails also and it made me feel a whole lot better, if you still feel you are worrying drop me an e mail and I will be happy to send you some quotes to prove you have nothing to worry about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit