ANTI-DEPRESSANT medication for the last 60 years now proved to be based on poorly supported false theory

by Terry 42 Replies latest jw friends

• jhine
    jhine

Terry it's sad that you had a negative experience with medication but as l and others have said it can be very effective. You said that you went to a therapist, not sure what you mean by that.

I can only say that my British GP was very careful in diagnosing and treating my low mood depression. As has been said depression has many causes and depths of severity. I was never suicidal .

I was carefully monitored and had no side effects, other than feeling nauseous for the first couple of days.

There was no way on earth that l could have gone running or taken part in any form of physical exercise. I simply had no energy whatsoever because of lack of sleep and the vicious cycle of feeling low

Citalopram broke that cycle .

Jan

• Terry
    Terry

.Too much of practically anything imbalances the benefits of whatever we imbibe, swallow, or inject.
    Exercising when you don't feel like it says much more about inertia than either the malady or the cure.
    Let's be honest with ourselves, if we refuse to get better because we have to "do something" when we

don't feel like it - only external attitude adjustment can jump-start that engine. This is where physicians and therapists fall flat on their faces. Depression is the limbo between hell and ordinary blues and only proactive struggle can stave off years of gray funk.
    When I felt really good I MEMORIZED how it felt inside my head. Like Hansel's breadcrumbs, I used that map in my head to find my way back. Otherwise, it's straight to Witch house made of ginger bread for the depressed.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    There was no way on earth that l could have gone running or taken part in any form of physical exercise… Citalopram broke that cycle.

Now, in a survival situation a serious infection can only be treated with anti-microbial drugs and all the exercise in the world would never cure such an infection. However, in a life and death situation, a person can snap out of a depression mode instantaneously, do acrobatics and jump over crocodiles if need be. So, shocking the brain in one way or another is therapeutic to treat depression.

But the poem “The doctor’s story” doesn’t usually apply to treating depression as it doesn’t apply at all to treating organic diseases. All the fresh air and sunshine in the world won’t change your mood but the effort put in to change your mood like the strenuous effort to go out and exercise or the mental and emotional effort to change thought patterns is therapeutic instead of the physical activity itself. So, the flight mode is therapeutic and not the acrobatic moves it induces. I must say though that once the muscles start flexing and the blood starts flowing it also causes a positive change in brain chemistry.

Everything considered, under usual circumstances, the chemical approach to treatment is the best choice the way I see it.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Here's an interesting video about Tom Cruise and how he criticised ritalin use. Was he right?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1550483274962800640

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    criticised ritalin use. Was he right?

Ritalin has been used to treat depression in adults. It is not the first choice drug to treat depression . It stimulates the cns in a way that causes euphoria. It also stimulates sexual desire very much intensifying pleasure but those are the unpleasant side effects of the drug. A doctor may try it on his patient to treat his depression when trying to find something that works when other meds don't seem to specially work for him. This information is not from the PDR or medical diagnosis and treatment or from a pharmacology text book. It is what patients experience using the drug and report to their doctor.

• Terry
    Terry
    jhinea day ago

Terry, it's sad that you had a negative experience with medication but as l and others have said it can be very effective. You said that you went to a therapist, not sure what you mean by that.

Psychiatrists and psychologists are what I mean by therapists.
    This was back in the early eighties and nineties of the previous century :)
    My "problem" was always inside the context of whomever I was married to (4 wives/all ex).
    My being raised by a mother of a volatile disposition more or less set the stage for the sort
    of "normal" I found familiar.
    It has been said we spend our entire life trying to solve the early problems of childhood and I grew up to be a would-be lion tamer if you can adjust to such a phrase.
    I both crave and eschew conflict in a relationship. Which is to say, such matters never work
    themselves out and an inevitable divorce comes along bringing depression in its wake.
    It isn't a solvable problem inside of a relationship (I FINALLY discovered.)
    Since my last (4th) divorce I have entirely avoided relationships altogether.
    Since 2006 I have been flying solo and that seems to be the greatest period of peace in my life.
    The depression wasn't internal - it was relational.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Terry, were you married to all 4 at the same time? If they were all JW females, I hear you. According to the Bible, an overseer must be husband to one wife. Why put that in the Bible unless non overseers were married to multiple wives it seems.

By therapist, I don’t mean necessarily the professionals you mentioned although it could be.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

The study found no difference in the levels of Serotonin on the BLOOD STREAM.. But the assumption is that lack of serotonin is on specific spaces inside the BRAIN. So a study is need for that.

However many people who use anti-depressants do show improvement... Because an increase in serotonin does improve your mood and overall happiness. And new discoveries (10 years) have shown that its in the intestines where the majority of serotonin is produced..

How many of us... cultist and ex-cultist suffer from Depression? What percentage that is? I think its on the upper 90%

I have also noticed that mormons also have high incidence on mental issues.... I guess this idea of flying being and magical convesations with magical people and the living on constant fear do take a toll on us.

I too took anti-depreesants..

And yes exercise and diet DO help... the problem is that when you are depressed you dont want to exercise and you eat bad...but is the same with seeking medical help.. when you are depressed you dont care for mental health.

And Pysolocibin has been shown to help on depression with only one use... I tried it several times now.. and Its wonderful on the awareness you can get... 100% down on everybody eating them..... it has now been discovered that wine in rome was always spiked and very frequently with mushrooms...

• jhine
    jhine

It appears that people think that l took Citalopram because basically l couldn't be bothered to "do " anything for myself. " when you are depressed you don't care for mental health " . Well l did care , l cared a lot . I could see how worried family and friends were . I didn't like feeling as l did . In fact l hated it and wanted to feel differently.

When once the medication broke the cycle of low mood , no sleep , no energy , low mood l started to get out . I did all that stuff , well maybe not run but out walking getting fresh air and sunshine. I just wanted that kick start out of the cycle .

Jan

• Terry
    Terry
    Worry is simply a useful smoke detector with an annoying beep. The anti-depressant acts to pull the AA battery out so we don't hear the "get out of the burning house" annoying sound.

Isn't it rational to GET OUT? Is it irresponsible to NOT be worried and anxious?
    Why Isn't it rational to GET OUT of that house filled with smoke?

TEMPERAMENT is something we seldom hear discussed. I think I have a natural light-hearted temperament and don't take things all that seriously. However, I could simply be a jerk!

But denial is a powerful antidote to rational action and when INACTION sets in - it's Game Over.
    ACTION beats inaction every time.
    DRUGS are "an answer" but not "the answer".

Take smoking marijuana, for instance... it is smoking, ya know,
    but somehow isn't categorized as such because of the pleasant buzz.
    In other words, we turn a vice into a victory by changing the label. It is a temporary solution
    to anxiety that became "not smoking" but "therapy" and the same long-term consequences as simply smoking.

When I was a kid, I was put in front of a TV set to keep me quiet and out of the way.
    That was the babysitter.
    Today, parents give kids all kinds of SCREENS to babysit them + pills to quiet their racing minds and
    then wonder what went wrong.
    In this world today, so-called SOLUTIONS are all short-term but with collateral future side-effects
    that keep doubling up and stacking up and overwhelming the possibility of any NORMAL existence.

Depression is that stack of temporary solutions weighing down so hard we have lost track of the fact
    it isn't one problem - but hundreds of postponed problems melted into a ponderous goo.

That's my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit