ANTI-DEPRESSANT medication for the last 60 years now proved to be based on poorly supported false theory

by Terry 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    told that in some patients it can cause suicidal thoughts

So many times the drugs can cause way worse symptoms of the things they are supposed to "cure" (or suppress)

in the US a doctor gives whatever the customer will pay for

Doctors prescribe what the drug companies pay them most to push, and they pay lavishly.

No different to financial advisors suggesting you put your money in mutual funds that pay them the most commission.

Fundamentally, every profession is made of people and people are always the same - selfish and driven by their own gain. If you believe your doctor is some holy saint who's only looking out solely for your best interest, you may need to look closer.

The best case for you is that they happen to get the most or equal kickback from the drug company that happens to make the drug that best suits your condition.

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

Depression is the common denominator for this site. The WTB&TS produces depression of a nature that kills!

Diet and exercise, cures [or makes survival possible] ; depression, plague, or what ever ails you. How ever you want to look at it, it is a real bitch! Fortuitously I have this magical place called " Whiskeytown National Park" . Taking your troubles on trails with lions, bears, snakes does good things for depression, fat asses and assorted maladies.

Good luck if you live in Memphis, Chicago, NY, LA. I will tell you this. If you want to scare the hell out of a pistol packing peaceful protester just put them in the Interstate going through a forest and show them the road sign to watch out for bears.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

The nice thing about citalopram is lesser side effects but IMHO the tricyclic AD specially amitriptyline do better with serotonin but the problem with amitriptyline is the anticholinergic side effects. For severe depression and agitation citalopram is better but for mild depression a very low dose (12.5 mg) of amitriptyline at bedtime will make the patient wake up refreshed but it causes a person to feel sleepy during the day. I’d say up to 50 mg of amitriptyline at night is also sedative euphoric but a higher dose or if taken during the day stimulates and the euphoric effect is lost but b it depends on the severity of the depression 100 mg is common. Everybody’s brain chemistry is different so diferent drugs work better on different people. Drugs hellp but counseling is also needed. The brain chemistry is out if balance and the drug isca lifesaver that keeps you from sinking but the psychiatrist can give you advice with the drug so that you can emotionally snd mentally het to a point where you can cope without the med. A person may still have depression for the rest of his life but he won’t need meds to function but this can take many many years to get to this point. But it is pissible and have seen remarkable people with endogenous depression get to this point. Let your doctor manage your depression don’t ise herbal or home remedies or try to do it on your own. Be patient and look at your depression as brain chemistry imbalance.

• Terry
    Terry

" Everybody’s brain chemistry is different so different drugs work better on different people. "

Brain "anatomy" is unique from person to person as fingerprints differ from person to person.

What are the 4 types of brain chemistry?
    Four main brain chemicals, dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin and endorphins, all play a role in how you experience happiness.
    • Dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter produced by the hypothalamus, a small region of the brain that helps you feel pleasure. ...
    • Serotonin. ...
      A complex process occurs whenever you experience a thought or feeling. First, an electric signal in the neuron travels through the axon where molecules bind to receptor sites. A second neuron either accepts or rejects the signal. The first molecule can then take back some of the remaining molecules, a process known as reuptake.
      The end result is what makes us experience emotions such as joy, laughter, happiness, sadness, anger, or enthusiasm.

What are happy chemicals?

Four main brain chemicals, dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin and endorphins, all play a role in how you experience happiness.

• Dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter produced by the hypothalamus, a small region of the brain that helps you feel pleasure. It’s an important part in your reward system, meaning the brain releases dopamine when you do things that feel good or pleasurable or when you complete a task. Dopamine also helps with movement and motivation.
      • Serotonin. Serotonin is another neurotransmitter produced when you feel satisfaction or importance. It also helps regulate your sleep, appetite and mood. Many anti-depressant medications are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) that help boost levels of serotonin.
      • Oxytocin. Oxytocin is a hormone produced by the hypothalamus and released by the pituitary gland that produces feelings of love and connection. Also known as the cuddle hormone, the brain may produce oxytocin during sex or maternal behavior such as childbirth or breastfeeding.
      • Endorphins. Endorphins are opioid peptides produced by the hypothalamus and pituitary glands that operate as neurotransmitters. They trigger positive feelings when you do something you enjoy such as having sex, laughing, or exercising. They also stimulate pain relief, which is the same reaction that occurs chemically when taking prescription opioids. The euphoric feeling endorphins produce helps mask pain.

________

All it takes is a few simple tasks and basic planning to boost these chemical messengers.

For starters, eat well and incorporate exercise into your diet. A 20-minute workout or a light jog can help stimulate dopamine due to the pleasure you receive from accomplishing a feat. Exercising can also stimulate serotonin and endorphins by causing you to feel satisfied and enjoy the positive results of a workout.

Exercising primarily influences boosting endorphins, but remember to laugh, too.

A simple meditation can help boost serotonin. There are ways to achieve this even without physical activity. Self confidence can go a long way in stimulating serotonin. The feeling of believing in yourself will translate to others respecting you, which ultimately promotes serotonin production.

To boost dopamine, complete simple tasks that make you feel good or set a goal you can easily achieve. The simple fact of even approaching a reward will stimulate these neurotransmitters. This explains why seeing the finish line at the end of a race activates dopamine.

For oxytocin, give someone a compliment. You may not see this as building trust, but communicating with others — even strangers — in social settings can reward you with positive feelings. Being kind also can boost serotonin and dopamine.
        _____
        QUESTION:
        Can there be a kind of feedback loop at play with depression?

1. Something happens to a person which strikes a blow triggering unhappiness, ill-health, etc.
        2. Inactivity results
        3. Diet changes
        4. Brain chemistry CHANGES
        5. Prescription drugs REPLACE the natural mechanism of the body/brain - and atrophy of natural production commences. (What you use develops - what you don't use trophies."

RESULT? Depression worsens and the ability to recover flags into a downward spiral.

IF THERAPY began with dramatic EXERCISE and DIET focus instead of DRUGS -
        the "profit motive" of prescribing drugs would be impacted.

CAN WE NOW ASK: Is the Doctor/Pharma alliance (profit motive) contributing to
        the outrageous proliferation of Depression among the population??

• We have too little to lose from giving EXERCISE, exposure to sunlight (Vitamin D), and healthy diet
      a fair chance to improve Happiness vs. Depression
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

Many anti-depressant medications are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) that help boost levels of serotonin.

And they are modern day AD that MD are are prescribing nowdays and they work. IMHO Amitriptyline is the best antidepressant of all to treat milder forms of depression although not SSRI and works great also to treat severe forms of clinical depression. It is specifically efffective is very small dosages to treat milder forms of depression. Your patient will thank you.Compared to other ssri it is like if someone forced you to stop crying and change your mood vs experiencing mild euphoria that gives you time not to feel the pain of depression while you slowly get back into the mood again. This is what people have told me.

• Terry
    Terry

At one time I experimented with St. John's Wort and only one brand (I don't remember now which one)
    seemed (?) to have the effect I needed - but it could well have been a placebo.
    I only take a pill/drug if I have a broken tooth and the dentist can't see me for a few days.
    I won't take Tylenol because I drink wine and the combination destroys your liver.
    Aspirin is as close to a painkiller as I'm willing to go. My tune would undoubtedly change if I sustained a terrible injury and couldn't cope with it.
    I've simply been extremely fortunate to be a naturally healthy person. Money can't buy that.
    It's a good thing it can't -I HAVE NONE :)

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Doctors prescribe what the drug companies pay them most to push, and they pay lavishly.

My wife has a serious back injury from a car accident with occasional spasms. Getting anything more than 5 pills per visit is pulling teeth - lost your pills or have more than 5 days per year you need it and there comes the flyer about addiction help. And we do have very good private insurance and health spending accounts with significant limits so it’s not a money or government restriction.

Finding a happy pill popper is like finding an orgy after you leave the JW, you seem to hear about them all the time, but they just never seem to happen to me.

• carla
    carla

If you follow any research data at all you will also see the Alzheimer's research has been in the news as of late due to faulty and fraudulent research data. It is pretty much blowing up on the internet if you follow such research. google for yourself.

If it can be so faulty with Alzheimer's imagine the faulty research on depression, mental health at large, neurological studies, etc... it could feasibly call all of that research into question.

I know some people in the mental health field who now question all research, drugs, therapies and/or diagnosis for all mental health and even neurological issues. Though, they tow the line in order to keep their jobs. And yes, they will give drugs because that has been the mainstream way to deal with issues. These are PHd's, and all the other alphabet degrees. Sad, even sadder is those with the authority know it is b.s. yet they feel powerless to change the situation. So they pull out their handy prescription pad and give the masses what they want.

I realize this will be an unpopular opinion.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    experimented with St. John's Wort

Herbal self treatment for depression is a waste of money and dangerous.

There are several types of depression. For example if some event in your life caused your depression that’s exogenous depression type and if you can come to terms with the event after treatment with medicine and psychotherapy, you should mostly get back to normal somewhat. On the other hand endogenous depression type may be genetic and that’s how you are.

The crazy cycle and sorry for the term: thoughts and feelings disrupts brain chemistry which causes depression which disrupts brain chemistry which causes depression and those thoughts and feelings may even be subconscious.

With endogenous depression although the abnormal brain chemistry is just part of how a person is, it may be possible to get to the point where a person can have minimal symptoms and won’t need medication.

CNS drugs or alcohol should be avoided as a JW abstains from blood. Even a 15mL drink or a glass of wine even once may disrupt a person’s brain chemistry for months. Consume zero amounts of alcohol or sedative drugs like the penes if you have any form of depression.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    • We have too little to lose from giving EXERCISE, exposure to sunlight (Vitamin D), and healthy diet a fair chance to improve Happiness vs. Depression

People that suffer from depression don't feel like exercising or may not even feel motivated to do anything. They need a boost, external energy and that can come from the meds. Of course the exercise and the other stuff you mentioned may be helpful to prevent depression but once you have depression, a person should consider medical treatment for the chemical imbalance in the brain and psychotherapy.

—Too much exposure to sunlight may give you skin cancer or damage your skin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit