What made you walk out on the "Truth"?

by Overrated 30 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

1991 was my first doubts, chronology and generations. I should have left then at age 27. Instead I doubled down, eventually becoming an elder in 2002 and attending MTS. That 8 weeks was eye opening in ways they did not intend. I swept it under the rug until 2006 when I was removed as an elder, non JC. I knew through MTS I could have fought the decision and had it reversed, but by then why bother. I had started community College, my first class was ethics. THAT made the scales drop from my eyes.

I changed congos, circuits, and states, but stayed where I lived, since it was only 15 minutes from home. After an initial love bombing as a former MTS student who had been with them for 8 weeks, once they knew I couldn't be reappointed for two years, they chilled quickly.

Short story (longer version is here somewhere), August 2007 was my last meeting and I've NEVER been back.

My life is better, I have a career, a house I own, a wife and son (neither a dub). And a JW mom who still loves me.

Snakes

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Because it wasn't. Wasn't truth, any of it.

My JW parents raised me to be a Lover of Truth, I still am, so my conscience forced me to leave what I soon came to call " The Tower of Lies".

Truth is easy to find. Truth is established by Facts and Evidence that withstands any attack or scrutiny.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I had questioned the cult for years. I did not like the fact they had been wrong so many times on the end date. When they changed the meaning of Generation in 1995 I was done.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i was brought up in it--baptised at 14--pioneer at 16--servant at 19..married at 20.

when my wife was pregnant with our first--i was 23--and i had my first long hard think about the blood issue--and it hit me i had no belief in the resurrection or everlasting life--and had zero interest in god, angels demons and all that clap trap.

it took me another 8 years to break away completely. that was 40 years ago.

atheist makes life so much easjer.

• polish clarinet
    polish clarinet

it was I was strongly ask to choose between "worldy music", in a municipal wind band, nd the truth ! It was between them and "associating with people who don't love Jehovah God".

• polish clarinet
    polish clarinet

it was I was strongly asked to choose between "worldy music", in a municipal wind band, and the truth ! It was between them and "associating with people who don't love Jehovah God".

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Spending 9 years of my life full time teaching BS to people that I would be kicked out now for talking about because of "New light". What a waste.

• TD
    TD

I was not actually "in" but lost all respect for/interest in the religion my parents were studying when I realized the writers did not possess even a middle school child's knowledge of the physical world.

It was so bad that I started a series here on this forum in direct response to the idea that "celebrated scholars" exist anywhere in the JW world

Here's an example:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/140936/jw-science-quote-day-8-27

And another:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/141006/jw-science-quote-day-8-28

And another:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/187518/jw-science-quote-1-15

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

I came to the realization that no matter how hard you try, you can not polish a turd and that many of those "chosen" to lead this organization fall into this category.

RB

• Overrated
    Overrated

TD- I noticed that too. No one and I mean no one has any scholarly Education or credentials in Watchtower land. It's all put together by other people's work and made to sound intelligent but when you actually think about and research the stuff they printed it leaves your questioning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit