The 1975 Generation---are they still around?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• scary21
    scary21

My mom, just like JW daughter's said she never believed 1975 was going to be it. My reply was why would you not tell ME that at the time, since Scary21 was 21 years old and scarred of dying.

BS.. She believed it just like we all did. Makes me crazy when people revise history !

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

1975 was actually calculated for the third time from dating mankind's existence of 6000 years, it will mostly go down as the last.

Funny thing is that Fred Franz who was the main GB or bible theologian for the WTS had used it previously back in 1943 and most JWs during the late 1960's and 70's didn't even know about it .......certainly I didn't.

He just regurgitated a calculated dating scheme from C Russell's era in the early 1900's.

What balls ! , but hey it worked, the JWS grew tremendously just before 1975 in most modern countries.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I was born in 1976, my older sister was born in January of 1975. My mother has believed she was annointed from nearly the beginning of her time as a JW. She is very much still 'in'. All the elders I knew as a kid from her main congregation were there for the big 1975 and are still there to this day. I think lots of folks from that time are still in.

But I also think that the fear instilled in some of them for that time was enough to carry them through many of the false prophesies. They just think, "Well, God did say that no one would know the day or the hour". Also, a lot of the folks that I know that were there for the 1975 dud and are still there, are not great critical thinkers. Rather they are great at creating their own world in their minds and ignoring all the things that contradict them. But that is just my experience.

• freddo
    freddo

I remember the run up to 1975 as a young teen.

Looking round the cong I occasionally attend there are about 80 publishers. Of which still now attending at least 12/14 were baptised in or before 1975 and another 4/5 would have been what are now unbaptised publishers aged 10 plus. So 20/25% still would have solid memories of 1975.

Of that group 4 still serve as elders (aged 60's through 80's) and 1 as a min servant. They would have gone through not only 1975 but also the big generation change of 1995 and they're still repeating and parroting and spouting the same old crap as ever.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Read with a cynical smile, not so much at the fact that it all happened, as led by the WTS and upper levels of 'the society,' but at the willingness of those who stayed to prevaricate and deny that the WTS ever taught that the end was coming in '75.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

and deny that the WTS ever taught that the end was coming in '75.

Or that the WTS once proclaimed that the end was coming in 1914 back in the late 1800's.

The WTS has a long list of end the world proclamations , but hey its a publishing house so this shouldn't be surprising.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

My mother was and is still a die-hard. She texted me just today to watch the June video because I will love it. Something about animals being petted. Then she added that the end is coming soon and it won't be long till my father's resurrected.

Guess I was a wet blanket, because I reminded her that only the Father knows the hour. We don't know if it's coming soon or not. I can't believe an intelligent woman can still be strung along like this, but she's elderly and either doesn't want to know something's rotten, or she switched off her reasoning brain long ago. How does she not say, "Hey, WTH?"

I was sixteen in 1975, and remember the urgent talks and my Kingdumb Haul peers being pulled out of high school because who needed education? Most of them left, just like I did. Most of us got some education and good jobs, and now our elderly parents are struggling and need financial help from us. Yet, they still go to meetings and rave about the encouraging videos. I'm baffled.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I graduated high school in 1975. I am aware that some of my peers are still in, but many are out. I suspect that maybe 30-40% have remained.

• freddo
    freddo

@virgochik

It's the 4D vision they have.

Desperation, Delusion, Depression and impending Death go hand in hand with the still in '75 generation.

Their very own four horsemen of their very own apocalypse!

• smiddy
    smiddy

I was about 36 years old then and a MS., it had been building up since the publication of the book " Life Everlasting In Freedom Of The Sons Of God" ? pointing out that in their view 6000 years of mans existence would end in 1975.

Little did I know then that it was not the first time they had predicted the 6000 years ended at another date.

The organization spoke out both sides of their mouth at this time , they alluded to Jesus Christ taking up his power as the enthroned king and beginning his rule over earth being an appropiate time for him to do so , 6000 years of Satans rule and the 1000 years reign of Christ Jesus to follow.

Remember they had a 7000 years as a creative day back then ,6000 years under Satans rule and the last 1000 years under Christ Jesus rule., so it would be appropiate that Jesus Christ would take up his Kingly power in 1975.

Or close by to that date , they then said it could come earlier than 1975 or it could come after 1975 but it would not be years , it would only be a matter of months .

Then after the event had come and past they put the blame on the Rank & file for running ahead of themselves and jumping to wrong conclusions absolving themselves of any blame.

That was the first time I had a dint in my faith , but it still took many, many years before I spat the dummy.

My wife & I, my 2 boys ,my DIL , my SIL and her 2 kids , my nephew , my grandson ,are all free of the Borg.

Their is just one neice and her family who is still under the control of the Borg.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit