I want to know what celebrations JWs don't consider pagan?

by Chook 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Watch Tower rationale concerning Thanksgiving is that it's a "National Holiday", celebrating it would therefore be "breaking Christian neutrality"

:0)

• Half banana
    Half banana

JWs don't consider the memorial of Jesus death pagan, they think it is "scriptural".

But they never for one moment stop to think that sacrificing a human for the sake of others followed by communal eating the flesh of the sacrificed body and drinking its blood has chilling echoes of full blown pagan ritual.

The Bible is drawn from paganism.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

If it's a fun and a happy occasion, it's must be pagan--so sayeth the wt.

just saying!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The wedding ceremony practiced by JWs in the United States and the use of wedding rings comes from pagan beliefs of preventing the bride from being possessed by spirits.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I remember saying at an elder's house if birthdays are wrong partly because they are honouring an individual which is idolatry how can we celebrate wedding anniversaries which is honouring two people. Dead silence followed.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Chook, I think the only thing the GB wish the sheep to celebrate is their own utterly useless role in the non-outworking of Big J's divine plan. Or do you think I am a trifle jaundiced in my viewpoint?

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Lets see. The only celebrations i knew of in my JW years where:

Weddings

Wedding Anniversaries

That's it. A baptism wast celebrated like a party or anything. You'd get them a card but that's about it.

Lets not forget "surprise day" which, in my family, always happened to be just before or after Dec 25th. Mum would cook a turkey dinner, we'd swap presents etc.

• carla
    carla

If it is fun, don't do it!

If it involves seeing non jw family members, don't do it!

If it involves giving someone a gift, don't do it!

I still don't get why they can do anniversaries, it is really just a celebration of the 'birth-date' of your marriage. I know, I know, they answer with 'marriage was instituted by God....' well, what is birth? yeah, we all have had this conversation a million times now........

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Carla the reason they allow anniversaries is if they didn't the whole JW sisterhood would go on strike. Still Totally ADD

• baker
    baker

Day before and Day after thanksgiving..."look why I got this free turkey at work and would hate it to go to waste"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit