Superstitions

by Geoff 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Geoff
    Geoff

I was reading through some of you guys old postings and I was laughing so hard. Some of you guys still believe the strange things your mom and dad said but didnt explain like not eating Count Chocula cereal. Didnt ever occur to you that maybe your parents thought that keeping you away from something as simple as a cartoon dracula might be in your best interests? They wanted to protect you from what they saw as a glaring example of pre-adolecent spiritual degredation. What is so wrong with that?

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Hi Geoff. You said,
    " Some of you guys still the strange things your mom and dad said but didnt explain like not eating Count Chocula cereal."

I think you left a few salient words out of this sentence. I can't quite understand it.

Please explain to me how a cartoon chocolate vampire is a glaring example of spiritual degradation.

Thank you.

• Geoff
    Geoff

Sorry. I was typing too fast. I made the changes.

• tergiversator
    tergiversator

Mommie Dark:

Please explain to me how a cartoon chocolate vampire is a glaring example of spiritual degradation.

How can you even ask such a silly question? Cartoon chocolate is an unholy thing. We must have only the real stuff. Lots of it. And as far as the vampire bit goes, WE are supposed to suck the life out of the CHOCOLATE, not the other way around.

Hope this helps,

-Tergiversator, More Chocolate and Less Cartoons Class

• Geoff
    Geoff

I apreciate the joke but surley you see the point. If she (his mom) was worried that the smallest bit of world poisening could taint her sons faith then that was why she wouldnt allow something as silly as VAMPIRES to be in her house.

• terraly
    terraly

A faith that would be shaken to the core by the picture of a vampire made of chocolate (? I've never seen this mythical box, so I don't really know) does not sound like one worth holding.

What about some of superstitions that are indefensible? The same thread I believe talks about Witnesses who refused to go to garage sales for fear of buying demon-possessed ornamental vases. If you wish to defend this superstition, that is your prerogative, but you seem like you don't actually believe chocolate vampires can leap off boxes and attack, so I'm just going out on a limb here and assuming that you've never been attacked by a vase-shaped demon and don't believe that kind of nonesense.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but try to avoid using any 13-letter words...

• AuSet
    AuSet

Actually, my Mom was attacked by a vase-shaped demon. She stuffed the vase full of WatchTowers and hasn't had a problem since.

• Geoff
    Geoff

I really like your sense of humor and I reply based on that fact alone becuase it seems you are not so much interested in gaining anything from the discussion as you are interested in making fun of what I admit is kinda a silly idea. Still the idea holds true that if there is a world wide organization that is governed by Jehovah through his son then it can be likened to a glass of water that is pure. If that water (organization) becomes tainted then it is not becuase God made it so. No it's becuase imperfect men and women decided not to follow the scriptural guildlines laid down for us, and thus that glass of water also being like our faith can become tainted if we allow outside influences to corrupt it. Although we have to be made strong through trials and tribulations surley you arent sugjesting that something harmless seeming like a box of cereal cant be perverted to the use of the most crafty of all creatures under heaven, Satan the devil?

Just thought I would ask

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Geoff, Geoff, Geoff, Jeff, jefe.

Still the idea holds true that if there is a world wide organization that is governed by Jehovah through his son then it can be likened to a glass of water that is pure.

Of course, with about 30 minutes of serious, truth seeking research, that idea no longer holds true for any but the most emotionally crippled, desperate to cling to the belief that they are and have been right, persons.

surley you arent sugjesting that something harmless seeming like a box of cereal cant be perverted to the use of the most crafty of all creatures under heaven, Satan the devil?

Satan, crafty? If you say so. After all, you created him. Its funny to think that someone who knows not one whit about the whys and wherefors of his own beliefs, including why he accepts the bible in the first place, would be starting a topic entitled "Superstition".

As a JW, everything you believe, and I do mean everything, is based on superstition.

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

silly vampires. . .trix are for kids

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit