Tight pants, colored socks, blue shirts, beards, wire -rimmed glasses...

by Muddy Waters 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ThinkerBelle
    ThinkerBelle

An old timey CO said all women should wear pantyhose and no open toe shoes or sandals because they are not appropriate........

I wear fancy flipflops to meetings - it's hot - so bite me!!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    No coloured shirts!! Brothers were frowned upon for donning coloured shirts at one time. Anal.
  • Poztate
    Poztate
    Middle of summer and 110 degrees out but try to removing your suit coat or tie in service and you would be firmly talked too. Naturally that also applied for summer meetings at a non A/C hall even if not on the platform
  • oppostate
    oppostate

I had a young elder (a bit of an oxymoron, and he is too) tell me that there wasn't ever any rule against wearing colored shirts on stage. He's born in. He's cocky. He's a bit of an... as much as I respect other's opinions and points of view, it really ticks me off when someone tells me I'm wrong and I know better.

There was too a rule. It was unwritten. There was a large white shirt and a dark blue tie kept in the coat room. You were told as an MS that if you wore ostentatious shirts that would be distracting you'd have to wear the white one no matter how baggy, or tight and badly it fit, or go home and change. That was the rule.

And this young... idiosyncratic elder likes to wear fire engine red shirts with gold ties, and royal blue shirts with lime green ties, and deep purple shirts with white ties, and nobody says a word to him nowadays. Right. There was never a written rule but you wouldn't have gotten away with your colorful sense of style, young whipper-snapper!

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl
    A lot of JW men shave their head now which surprises me. Some of them look awful. I'm surprised that ever got off the ground, but no one mentions it! I knew a guy who lost his privileges in the 90s for doing that (even tho there's never been anything in the wt literature about it). But now, go to any assembly or convention and shaved heads are everywhere--even on the platform, on attendants or other privileged positions. I wonder why that was never labeled as "faddish" or "too outlandish."
  • SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    DrivingForce No way, the people in your photos are way too thin and fashionable to be Dubs!
  • neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Mustaches used to be allowed only for non Caucasians, like African American and Mexican.
  • neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Jean skirts were talked badly about by my CO, and 7 years or so later it officially appeared in print, on the pamphlet about proper dress and grooming at Bethel.
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit
    I was in a real conservative congregation and the sisters couldn't wear pants with the front zipper. It looked to much like men's clothing. So I had to wear a lot of pants with elastic waist. I looked like a clown.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit