Favourite New Film

by jhine 24 Replies latest social entertainment

• jhine
    jhine

l recently went to watch Green Book , which l thought was excellent , it had everything , it took me though the whole range of emotions , from anger to joy , laughing then wanting to cry . The quiet dignity of Dr Shirley mixed with volatile nature of Tony Lipp and seeing their emerging friendship was wonderful . What really shook me was that these attitudes existed in my lifetime , not that long ago .

Previously l had seen The Favourite which , despite all the praise heaped upon it , l wasn't that keen on .

Which new releases have you watched and either would recommend or give a raspberry to ?

Jan

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I saw The Favourite, I see everything with Olivia Coleman in, she's a brilliant actor. I thought it was a sad film, a woman who had lost seventeen babies descending into mental illness. I didn't know anything about Queen Anne so it was interesting but dark.

Apart from that I've only seen Bohemian Rhapsody since Christmas which was very, very good, love Queen's music. So glad Rami Malek won the BAFTA, well deserved.

There's been nothing else I wanted to see but now I want to go and see Alita, Battle Angel, about the young cyborg. It looks good.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for the recommendation. We will probably go and see Green Book. I totally agree with you about The Favourite. I disliked every single character in the story. It was as interesting as watching paint dry.

Mary Queen of Scots is worth watching as long as you view it as entertainment rather than history. There are plenty inaccuracies in the plot. I also enjoyed Vice. It is the story of Dick Cheney and his role in the Iraq war.

For me the best film of the last few years was Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I saw Three Billboards on a plane. I don't think I would have watched it otherwise with that plot but the acting was outstanding. Very good film.

• jhine
    jhine

Cofty , l thought that myself and my partner were the only two people in the world who didn't like The Favourite . What you said was spot on .

Xanthippe l agree , l could see no entertainment value in the exploitation and manipulation of the tragic Queen Anne .Olivia Coleman's performance was excellent and l don't begrudge her an Oscar . However if l had any say Green Book would have won Best Picture .

Jan

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

"Where Hands Touch" & "Can You Ever Forgive Me."

Both excellent films.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hi jhine - good thread.

I recently saw Hereditary (2018). It's a well made horror film that creeped me out several times.

I watched it alone at night. Afterwards, I though I saw things in the shadows! XD

Highly recommended for fans of horror.

• Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

I would not stream a pirated down load of green book. Its a propaganda film. After a cult like the JWs I have had enough propaganda. Looking forward to a down load to Stan and Ollie. Suspiria was a good movie the ending was a bit strange. Loveuni I saw Hereditary and it was a good horror thriller. Very unsettling ending.

• tiki
    tiki

Must see lady gaga...a star is born......and saoirse Ronan in Mary queen of Scots brilliant! I am totally blown away by that girls acting...she is only 24 and has depth of someone so much more mature, weathered...

• Onager
    Onager

I went to see Lego Movie 2 on the weekend. Very good, highly recommended. Of course the £63 for seats was a kick in the fruit. (3 adults, 2 kids).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit