Why Does So Much Intellectual Innovation in the US Tend to Come from the East or West Coasts ???

by RubaDub 15 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

There are many good Universities in the central part of the US but why do so many innovative things, i.e. Silicon Valley, seem to happen on one side of the country or the other (California, New York, Massachusetts to name a few)? Even what is considered the most high tech area in the center of the country, Austin Texas, is a huge liberal bastion. Minnesota, with all of its medical research and technology tends to be liberal.

Think of all of the innovations, especially technical and informational, that were conceived or inspired on schools on the "coasts."

Why does "thinking outside the box" seem to develop on the "coasts" ?

Rub a Dub

• hoser
    hoser

These areas have a higher population density than central USA and Canada and the east coast was settled earlier. It seems to me you feel that innovators vote liberal. I don’t agree with that.

• recovering
    recovering

What does.Liberal or conservative have to do with it?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

What does.Liberal or conservative have to do with it?

recovering ...

Look at the map. The "coasts" tend to be liberal, that all I was saying.

If I was planning on doing a high tech company or pharmaceutical start-up, I would likely not pick a State in flyover country. There are of course many exceptions.

That's all.

Rub a Dub

• hoser
    hoser

It’s harder to do business in a small town as there are issues with talent and supply chains. All of the smart people leave where they grew up and end up in the cities.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It’s harder to do business in a small town as there are issues with talent and supply chains.

hoser ...

Point well taken.

Rub a Dub

• tiki
    tiki

We liberal-minded intellectuals prefer living within driving distance of the ocean. It is conducive to creative thinking and critical analysis. The very thought of being surrounded by cornstalks and miles upon miles of flat plains is devastating to our collective souls.

Seriously, major universities are the hubs of innovation....and they are mostly located on the coasts. The fine arts abound in such areas as well....drawing curious minds. Progressive thinking is encouraged and enhanced.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

All of the smart people leave where they grew up and end up in the cities.

hoser ...

I'm sorry but I can't resist. I am trying, trying, really trying but .... here goes .... don't quote me, but ....

Append this to your comment: "and the ones who remain vote for Trump"

I'm a bad, bad man. I know it.

Rub a Dub

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

My question is why is all the decay in the east and west coast. San Fran and NYC to name a few are becoming the shitholes of the country. San Fran is not only becoming crime ridden but a poop factory, NYC under liberal idiots is returning to the 70s when it was a true crap hole under liberals.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

San Fran and NYC to name a few are becoming the shitholes of the country.

Jimmy ...

For some odd reason, employers want to pay people who live in what you term as "shitholes" more in a year than others would earn in 3, 4, 5 or more years in "non-shithole" places.

If things are so "shitty" there, why are median home prices in Manhattan around $1,000,000 dollars and San Francisco about $1,300,000.

Jimmy, yes they are cheap shitholes.

Tell us about the median price of homes in your neighborhood. Come on, tell us.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit